User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Best way back in after a 6 year hiatus and no class A

Hello all....

I'm looking for a little advice and thought this forum would be a great place to ask the question.

What do you recommend is the best route back into the trucking industry and to obtain my class A again? I say again as it has been about 5-6 years since I've had my class A. I have about 200,000 otr miles and about 2 years driving various trucks locally. I've driven a few class b straight trucks also. Bottom line, I can drive. I can pass a pre trip inspection but I do not have any access to a class a truck.

I'm wondering if there is almost a refresher course kind of thing I could do just to get the class a back in my pocket. Then past that I figure I might have to start at the bottom and go out with a driver trainer and all the rest of the jazz that goes along with a new driver. It is no big deal if that is the route that I need to take. I'm flexible. I mainly just want to get my Class A back and then go from there.
Right now the wife and I are thinking about going back into the truck full time. I would be the only one driving as she has no interest in driving at all. Basically we'd live in the truck with no real home base.... do that for 6 months and then off the truck for 3 or 4 months and then do it all over again.
I've got two local otr companies that are willing to let us drive "seasonally" for 6 months or so and then take off when their freight slows down. They were especially happy to oblige when I told them that we could stay out for months at a time.
We did something similar back when I first had my Class A and the then girlfriend, now wife went along with me. We had a freaking blast and look forward to giving it a go once again. Know that we are almost 10 years older and in a totally different place in life we really want to get back at it again. I'm kicking myself for letting my class a lapse. Dumb move on my part.

What do you think?
Thanks.
I really appreciate the help.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I guess maybe the search feature worked well for me at this point.... I'm off to read a bunch of "refresher course" threads. That sounds like it might fit the bill.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I also took a little hiatus from the road (8 years) and let my CDL lapse. After much research and questions I concluded the SIMPLEST route was to attend a trucking school.

I'm actually of the opinion that all those CDL schools (read: "mills") out there are perfect for a refresher course (but not much else.)

PLUS the company I finally went with reimbursed my fully for the tuition...worked for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

in New Zealand you renew your licence every 10yrs [that car truck ,tracks ,rollers ,bike and what ever you have] just have to have medical for truck,no refresher course.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

In the states, it's up to each state, but most have a 5 year renewal for your CDL (4 years with HazMat). Medical is due, at the very longest, every 2 years. Companies (mainly because of the insurance companies) want/need recent OTR experience within the past 3 months usually. If you don't have that, they want you to go back to school to re-learn.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Wow... sounds nice, really nice. 10 years. Think it's 7 in Florida where I am ... haven't checked lately. Its been almost that since got mine renewed, and havent driven in 6 years. Hoping to MAYBE start driving again soon, but school is apt to be first.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You might check around to see if there are people who may rent you a truck to practice and take your road test. I know there are a couple in Texas that I have seen who rent a truck to those wanting to take their CDL. A refresher would probably not hurt, either, and would likely make any potential employer more comfortable. It an be a real challenge getting your CDL back once it expires.