User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Emigrating

Hi all I'm thinking of Emigrating to America and drive long haul. I know there are lots of employment agencies that promise everything under the sun to get you to sign up for them and let them do the paperwork etc etc but it's usually for a sky high fee and I don't trust them.
All I am looking for is some honest answers and are there actual jobs to be had?? I'm not a newbie to driving, I have 21 years of truck driving experience in Ireland, Uk and Europe.
Is it worth coming over to America to try and realise my dream??
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The fub View Post
Hi all I'm thinking of Emigrating to America and drive long haul. I know there are lots of employment agencies that promise everything under the sun to get you to sign up for them and let them do the paperwork etc etc but it's usually for a sky high fee and I don't trust them.
All I am looking for is some honest answers and are there actual jobs to be had?? I'm not a newbie to driving, I have 21 years of truck driving experience in Ireland, Uk and Europe.
Is it worth coming over to America to try and realise my dream??
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.
First off, if you do not have an American wife or immediate family member already here you can't do it.
They don't consider truck drivers a skilled trade here.
My American wife sponsored me on a K-3 Visa and it took just over a year to get permission to live in the United States after immediately applying after our wedding.
I then had to apply for a Work Visa to tide me over until I got my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) 1+ years later.
I don't know what kind of money you make over in Europe but I have been here 8+ years and make pretty much the same revenue as I did running back and forth across the border from Canada with my own truck and trailer. I do really like living in South Carolina and it's nice not to have to cut a hole in the ice to go fishing in the winter time but I doubt that you would find that you would make a much larger wage here than in Europe. IMHO
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Board Icon

Obviously the cost of living is much cheaper than the UK.

You may have 21 years of experience in Europe but over here I don't know of any company that would accept that experience and yes, I am more than aware that many of the roads over there are tougher to drive than here but the insurance companies of the trucking outfits here don't see it that way. It all comes down to the insurance companies unfortunately as to what kind of experience counts.

There are driving jobs to be had though. If your going to try and make it happen good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may check with some of the major U.S. carriers that do cross border runs. They should be able to provide some insight as to what you will need to do in order to qualify and work as a commercial driver in the U.S.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Board Icon

Actually if your a UK citizen you may be able to run North America over here by being based in Canada since it's a Commonwealth of the UK. Have no idea how that could work, maybe some of the Canucks on the board could help here?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Rookie

Thank you, I'm going to enquire about Canada. I have family living in Canada and that seems to be the best way to help fulfill my future plans. Thank you all for your honest and valuable input.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Actually if your a UK citizen you may be able to run North America over here by being based in Canada since it's a Commonwealth of the UK. Have no idea how that could work, maybe some of the Canucks on the board could help here?
Canada cut the cord with the UK decades ago.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Board Icon

Uh not completely mgfg, the Queen is still listed as their head of state. Canada is just like Australia which makes you both a part of the Commonwealth Realm. You may govern yourself and have your own military but the Queen/UK still rules over top of all.