User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Just wondering Mack, do you like driveing? No one HAS to stay a truck driver,If someone decides drivings not for them they can move on to what ever they want thats how most of us got into trucking!
He loves it so much that he now makes a living out of takin' other people's crap! (literally)
GMAN does have a valid point, especially in a larger company. When a desk-driving job comes open, a driver can apply for it and get trained and transition into that new job while maintaining seniority, vacation time, benefits, etc., along with learning new skills and padding his/her resume.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Just wondering Mack, do you like driveing? No one HAS to stay a truck driver,If someone decides drivings not for them they can move on to what ever they want thats how most of us got into trucking!
Yes i do like driving. But my job is about 50% driving and the other 50% is dragging hoses and digging up septic tank lids. Talking to customers. Diagnosing Septic Problems. Then there are somedays the truck doesnt even start. I go out and do septic repairs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I disagree that trucking is a dead end. There is opportunity to move up. You can become a dispatcher (not necessarily a move up), safety manager or other types of positions in operations. You could buy your own truck and be an owner operator. You could also get your authority and start your own company. You are only limited by your resources, abilities and initiative.
You are right to a point GMAN. I know a guy that drives for Venezia (where i used to work). There was an opening in safety department. Drivers could not apply for the job. They wanted someone who went to college for business and saftey. I think it was a bunch of BS. But it seems thats how all these bigger outfits are doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
He loves it so much that he now makes a living out of takin' other people's crap! (literally)
GMAN does have a valid point, especially in a larger company. When a desk-driving job comes open, a driver can apply for it and get trained and transition into that new job while maintaining seniority, vacation time, benefits, etc., along with learning new skills and padding his/her resume.
Your right i do take other peoples crap!! lol. But it is a skill. You have to know how to drive a truck. Thats only 1/2 of it. Then you have to understand how septic systems work from top to bottom. You have to know how grease traps, pump stations, sand mounds work. So if there is a problem you know where to start to fix them. Its alot more then just driving a truck. Some days i go less them 100miles and my truck will gross 1,000 to 1,200. and im home by 3pm.

Hey to each there own i guess. I have alot of respect for OTR drivers and all the BS they put up with for the money. I know i wouldnt last a week. But someone has to do it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Board Regular

don't worry bro there's no naked babes on them bilboards
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post

You are right to a point GMAN. I know a guy that drives for Venezia (where i used to work). There was an opening in safety department. Drivers could not apply for the job. They wanted someone who went to college for business and saftey. I think it was a bunch of BS. But it seems thats how all these bigger outfits are doing it.

There is some validity to requiring a college education for some positions. But, I don't see a real need for a college education to be a safety director. Common sense, having a good understanding of the business and excellent communication skills should be the most important criteria.