User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default WHat Company Will Hire Me?

Hello my name is Eric, and Im new here. Im 22 and have been in the Ohio Army National Guard for the last 5 years. Now I have been out of work for the past 4 months and For the past 2 months i have been trying to become a Trucker.

My Problem is that I have two speeding tickets on my record in the last year (the only two I have ever had) and they were both for 15 MPH over the speed limit. I have talked to 15 different companies and they all say the same thing, that I cant be hired with the tickets until one drops off. Except for Swift, They will hire me on the date that the oldest ticket was paid. Like I said before these tickets are the only trouble I have ever had with the law.

Im just trying to figure out if any one out there knows of any company who will hire (besides Swift) some one with these type of traffic offense?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zippo
Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What is wrong with Swift? Thousands of drivers have gotten their start with them. Many carriers won't hire someone with one ticket that is 15 mph or over. Any speeding ticket 15 mph or higher is considered reckless driving. If it were me and Swift would take me with those two tickets, I would jump at it. Otherwise, you will need to wait a couple of years for them to drop off your mvr. Carriers go back 3 years when checking a driver or prospective driver's mvr. If you started now, you would have 2 years experience by the time they drop off and many more doors would open for you.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Rookie

There Is nothing wrong with swift, I just like having more then one option, But like i said they will hire me on the day i paid the ticket. That is not for another 4 Months and I was just wondering if there was a company that would be able to hire me sooner.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Have you checked with CRST? Their trucks are (or were) governed at 60, so speeding would not be an issue there. But, 15 over the limit is a serious violation, and with two tickets, that's two violations which will get you out of the driver's seat even if you've been driving for the last 5 years.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Rookie

Now isn't CRST a team driver only company? I know my options are limited, and I will still look into them because well if they will hire me then I can at least get into the driver seat and start getting much needed experience. Am I right in thinking that they are only a team driver operation?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCZippo View Post
Now isn't CRST a team driver only company? I know my options are limited, and I will still look into them because well if they will hire me then I can at least get into the driver seat and start getting much needed experience. Am I right in thinking that they are only a team driver operation?
The Van Expedited is the "Team Only" part of CRST.

BUT.......If they took you, they might require that you spend an extended amount of time in a "Training" truck, because of those 2 tickets.

Between the 2 Swift is your better option.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Well Like i said before, Swift might be the best option out of the two but swift cant hire me for another 4 months, Unfortunately my money wont hold out that long. My question is wouldn't swift still have me in a training truck for a period of time even if I didn't have these tickets?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCZippo View Post
Well Like i said before, Swift might be the best option out of the two but swift cant hire me for another 4 months, Unfortunately my money wont hold out that long. My question is wouldn't swift still have me in a training truck for a period of time even if I didn't have these tickets?
Any and ALL companies will have you in a "training truck" for at least 3 months (just my guess.) So... what difference does it make?

If you will run out of money, then get a part-time JOB! Don't mean to sound rash, but you've got to do what you've got to DO to get into trucking... if you have a good reason to DO so. If Swift will hire you first... then go with Swift! Don't you have U/I insurance income in the meantime?

You could check into the WIA program I suggested on the "other thread," and you might get lucky like I did. You can call and talk to the schools and ask them about "special placements" for people with your kind of record. Then call the companies instead of trusting the "school recruiter."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Actually, after further review. Personally, I think that CRST would probably be a perfect fit for Golfhobo, Orangetxguy, Windwalker, and last, but certainly not in the least. The King Of Coolie Carriers Mackman!

Where y'all been?

Ohhhh shoot.......on edit. Certainly GDOG is CRST material!:thumbsup:

Last edited by belpre122; 01-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
You could check into the WIA program I suggested on the "other thread," and you might get lucky like I did.
Lucky? Jeez, Hobo. You call working 80-100, logging 70 and getting paid for 40 lucky? C'mon brother!

"A wet brain is a terrible thing to waste...........................................": o