User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I got to agree with Hobo on this one, the guy is native and has family in the region. Good chance he has run across those signs in a car before and should have known. Blaming the GPS is not a good enough excuse for anyone, particularly if your a native of the area.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Board Icon

OTX: You've already backed me up as far as I needed you to... but, read the story/watch the video again. This guy didn't drive for Halliburton. He drove for Mason-Dixon Lines.

He had no special dispensation for being a Halliburton truck. He probably hadn't ever been there before. I'm just saying that his company should have gotten proper routing for a TANKER (which I assume was hauling hazmat... not milk.) And, he should KNOW his job better and be paying attention.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Senior Board Member

hey you might even find New Zealand on one of those
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
OTX: You've already backed me up as far as I needed you to... but, read the story/watch the video again. This guy didn't drive for Halliburton. He drove for Mason-Dixon Lines.

He had no special dispensation for being a Halliburton truck. He probably hadn't ever been there before. I'm just saying that his company should have gotten proper routing for a TANKER (which I assume was hauling hazmat... not milk.) And, he should KNOW his job better and be paying attention.

I guess I should have looked at that video when I wasn't half way to sawing logs! I was thinking that the guy was headed to a drilling location......and I didn't see the part about the guy being a Mason Dixon O/O.

Regardless of whether he work's for himself....or worked for HOWCO.........HE should have called the Halliburton plant and gotten directions. There is just no way that people that work at the plant wouldn't know the approved truck route into the facility.

good ahead now.....ask me who howco is.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Board Icon

Sometimes the people at the delivery location have no idea how to route you in to them legally. Having that as an excuse would have been better than blaming the GPS.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member

how about you just say " my mom told me to go that way" what cop wouldnt let you go then?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

79 north to exit 14; PA route 21 east; PA rt 88 north to Carmichaels. All legal truck routes to get to Carmichaels. So simple a caveman can do it.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
how about you just say " my mom told me to go that way" what cop wouldnt let you go then?

The one your mom dumped when she was 15!!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Rookie

A GPS is just another tool to use.

CLICK TO DRIVE MAVERICK
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Rookie

I have been in a similar situation. I am a wrecker operator for the Army National Guard and recently I was sent to PA and VT due to recent flooding, and the unit I am with is an engineer unit who was sent to rebuild the roads. I was sent to drive one of the two M984 A2 HEMTTs that my unit has. Just some back ground on these massive awesome trucks, they are an 8x8 with 54'' massive mud tires. Its powered by a turbocharged and supercharged Detroit diesel, with an Allison transmission, its GVWR is 50,000lbs, and its over 10 foot long. I love driving this massive truck.

Now as I was saying we were in northern PA rebuilding a road that had washed out. They had a call out for the other operators to recover a 20 ton dump that had taken a ****. After about 3 hours I got a call to recover the other wrecker that had grenaded its transmission after it hooked up to the 20 ton dump. Since i am not from PA I did not know the roads so i had a Garmin GPS to help me get around until I learned the routes. So after I hooked up and got back on the road I think my weight was some where near 70 tons I think, and some 40 foot long.

Now the GPS took me the fastest rout back, which led me through some tight county roads and over some very narrow bridges (the wrecker is about 8 foot wide) So this led to some very very interesting situations with two trucks in tow and two points of articulation. There came a point where there was no way for me to turn around and find a new route, a farmer came out and asked why I was sitting there and very effectively blocking the road. I was told that while the next cross street would lead me back to the shop but the bridge I needed to cross would not hold my truck empty, it wouldn't even hold his tractors to get to his fields. So he recommended that I take his path to his fields to get around this bridge.

This path to his fields took me through the creek that the bridge crossed, which was awesome, because I almost got stuck because its that a lot of ass to try and drag through a creek, but all in all I got my truck dirty, 9and i had to use 8x8 lo range) and the trucks back to be repaired. After this incident I sold my GPS and I rely on paper maps and satellite images to plan my routes now.

But my questions is don't they make trucker specific maps and GPS? where they show weight and high limits?

Last edited by SPCZippo; 01-23-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I can't spell