User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the country Michigan. Actually, very few countries drive on the left like the Brits. Here's a map: File:Countries driving on the left or right.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question, yes Russia does drive on the right like us.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
It really depends on the country Michigan. Actually, very few countries drive on the left like the Brits. Here's a map: File:Countries driving on the left or right.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To answer your question, yes Russia does drive on the right like us.
Wtg MrFord! :clap: Good researching.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Board Icon

MichiganDriver said:

Quote:
Good observations Hobo but... hehe There's always a but.
Not in MY world.

Quote:
Is North America the only place on the planet where we drive on the right side of the road?
No... but, I thought you KNEW that. I also would have thought that you AND Mr. Ford would know that in Britain... they DON'T. I didn't mean to imply, or contest, that this happened in the U.S. But, I did... correctly... point out that it could NOT have happened in Britain where the "box truck" was so often seen.

Quote:
I'm too lazy to do searches like "What side of the road do they drive on in Russia?". Is the whole rest of the world driving on the wrong side of the road?
What searches? Watch MOVIES! And "pay attention" to details. Hell... I don't know all the countries that still live by British Imperialistic rules... but, (and there's always a but,) SOME do! European Automakers [and even American ones] make their vehicles with either "right" or "left" controls depending on the country they're being shipped to. I see someone posted a list. Haven't checked it yet. Don't really care. Surely... Britain is not the ONLY backsided country in the world! But, I KNOW that those vehicles are NOT on the "correct" side of the road to be in Britain.

Quote:
Also, I gave up trying to guess how fast vehicles were traveling in vids years ago. I can't tell, I simply can't tell by watching a video.
I never guessed at the speed of the other vehicles. What I noticed was, that they did not ALTER their speed by much if any during the event. This is most easily observed/measured by the fact that there was no major "slowing down" or stacking up of the vehicles. They maintained there "spacing" throughout the event. There was ONE car who slowed to a near stop behind the plow, letting all the others go by, but not ONE of the others exhibited brakelights (which would have been visible in those conditions,) nor did the distance between ANY two of them change dramatically as they "passed thru" the situation without too much concern.

If they were all going slowly, then so was the "trucker." That wasn't the impression I got as HE and all the others passed by the nearly "stationary" camera vehicle. I DID notice a slight acceleration by the vehicle with the flashing lights.

Quote:
A case in point is Ice Road Truckers. During the in-cab shots it looks like the truck is moving along quite nicely. But then they pan out and the truck is barely moving.
It's a phenomena known as "focal length." To get "clarity" up close, you have to use a focal point with only a two foot (for example) length... or depth. That makes everything coming INTO that field of focus look like it is "rushing." From "outside," or a distance... you use a longer focal length, giving you a DEEPER or (wider) range of things in focus, and things outside that foci are not so far out of the picture that their movements are so exaggerated.

See me after class! ... no really... think about hitting a deer! The guy in the truck says it all happened so fast! But... (and there's always a but...) the guy on the mountain with a long range lens can fire off a whole roll of film showing the approaching truck, and the deer bolting into it's path, and the resulting collision. And then take his second sip of coffee! Perspective. Distance. Focal length.

Don't get me started talking about photography! You might derail me from my mission of political debate! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Board Icon

Here's a Target load finding the wrong target in Minnesota: Target Truck Skids Into Icy Pond Instead Of Parking Lot (VIDEO)

It skid 100-200 ft on the ice before breaking thru..........that's beyond pucker factor.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Here's a Target load finding the wrong target in Minnesota: Target Truck Skids Into Icy Pond Instead Of Parking Lot (VIDEO)

It skid 100-200 ft on the ice before breaking thru..........that's beyond pucker factor.
Sure don't know what caused it, but I'm sure he gets inducted into the POLAR BEAR CLUB HALL of FAME...
Just a little too chilly to be on that recovery crew.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Board Icon

Sounds like he may have hit a patch of ice on the road. It said he lost control while traveling along I-94, crossed the median and the oncoming lanes before heading out to sea. Maybe the truck is a former Ice Road one.........

Sure fire lock for Polar Bear HOF, first ballot inductee.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Hobo...

Slick roads still give you the "shakes", I see.....:lol:
In a way, you are right. Snow doesn't bother me so much cuz I can SEE it, but ICE? I don't like it! It can be invisible.

This past week, I was westbound on I-40 through New Mexico and Arizona (late at night.) There was no snow falling or any moisture in the air. Just east of the continental divide, the temp started falling by one degree PER MILE! I couldn't believe it. 20, then 19...18...17... down to 12 degrees, one degree every mile! I've never seen it fall so fast. Then up again for a bit, and then back down. None of this really mattered, as there was no moisture on the roads.

I crossed the border into Arizona doing about 70 mph. (My truck does 75 and that was the speed limit, but I drive slower at night.) Immediately, I noticed that the right lane had been "resurfaced" with a different kind of asphault. And, all of a sudden, the truck felt "wobbly." You know what I mean? Not so immediately respondent to the steering. I slowed down and started "testing" the road surface. As I said earlier, the more "grainy" the surface, the more likely that ice has formed in the cracks and "pores" of the surface.

Yes, Windy, when I had the speed under control (still over 65) I started "jerking" the wheel a little. I'm only talking about maybe 5-10% or so deviation. Experience on DRY roads has taught me to expect the cab to sway a little in response, and then to "recover" to the initial track. But, it was SLOW to respond to my command. I changed lanes (carefully) and did the same on the more "concrete" road surface. Nearly the same response. I returned to the darker asphault lane and continued the experiment. The slow response continued, and I over-rode what my eyes were telling me.... and slowed down even further! I ended up doing about 60 mph in a 75 zone... cuz, I didn't like the FEEL of it! I never DID see anything like a "sheen" on the road, I just slowed down until I felt like I was in control.

On the return trip over the same roads two days later, I did the same experiment, and the truck responded quickly and decisively as I would expect it to. I was able to maintain 70-75 mph in the same area.

I LIKE to drive fast when conditions permit. But... I am NOT going to be one of those who create those "tracks" through the median caused by a driver who either fell asleep OR slid off the road going too fast in a curve when the road was somewhat "icy" on (or under) the surface. [and I lost COUNT of the number of such tracks in the median that were "fresh" on this trip!]

I guess everyone has their own way of finding out if a road is slick. MANY of them find out by plowing thru the median. But, I don't think that will EVER be me! I have my own method, and it has NEVER failed me. And that is to "shake" the wheel a bit if I don't like the "feel" of the rubber on the road!

There was absolutely NO evidence I could see that would explain that road being slick. Five miles earlier, I rounded a curve doing 70+ mph with no problem. The ONLY thing that tipped me off was the "response" of my truck as I continually "checked" the surface as I drove along and my awareness of the difference in the type of road surface.

You can warn against my method all you want. Maybe it will be helpful to newbies who drive 60mph trucks. But, you will NEVER change my mind about my methods (which MAY only apply to drivers of faster trucks.) After all... there ARE "kinetics" involved. But, I am here today to bear witness that having the "shakes" on icy roads can be a good thing.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Board Icon

Hobo, I'm sure you remember one mid-December trip across Texas. I came out of NM on I-40, and while NM had salt shakers out and the road was damp, the state line was like drawing a curtain. No less than 4 accidents within one mile of the state line. By the time I got 36 miles into Texas, there were more than 40 accidents I went by. Guys were chaining up to run flat ground.

So, one of the things that might also help new drivers would be to keep in mind that different states treat their roads differently. One might have salt on the road, and just across the state line, you need ice skates. It could be a very intelligent choice to slow down at a state line and spend some time to determine just what the surface is in the new state. Then, drive accordingly.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Hobo...

Slick roads still give you the "shakes", I see.....:lol:
Heh heh. I caught that one...................LMFAO!!!

Slick roads are just for starters WW.

A whole lotta shakin goin on in that Hobo ride.