User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who can help me

Hello all, I recently graduated from a driving school and am looking for a company to drive for out of Virginia. Now, the problem I have is a DUI in May 2007. I know most companies want 5 years from the date, some want 7, some want 10 . . . some say "None". I also know that there are some companies that only require 3 years. Does anyone know of a company out of or drives through Virginia that will hire a student with 3 years since a DUI? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know of any carriers who will hire someone with a 3 year old DUI, especially one with no real experience. My suggestion would be to start making phone calls to carriers and see what they say. You may get lucky and find a carrier who will offer you an opportunity. You may try some smaller carriers. Some may be more flexible with that type of thing. Most of the major carriers will not hire a driver with a DUI unless it has been at least 5 years since conviction. Even then, you would need a spotless record to get on with most carriers. I am not saying that it is hopeless, but your work will be cut out for you to find the right carrier. I would suggest that if you do find a carrier who will take you that you stay with them for at lease 1-2 years. After that and with a good work history you will probably find it easier to find a different company.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCountyColoradoBoy View Post
Hello all, I recently graduated from a driving school and am looking for a company to drive for out of Virginia. Now, the problem I have is a DUI in May 2007. I know most companies want 5 years from the date, some want 7, some want 10 . . . some say "None". I also know that there are some companies that only require 3 years. Does anyone know of a company out of or drives through Virginia that will hire a student with 3 years since a DUI? Thanks in advance for any information.
Personally I think you need to get your azz back to Grand County, If I could my ass would be sitting in Fraser or Winter Park, Hell I could even deal with Granby or Grand Lake with the fire place glowing a beer in hand and warming up from a day of skiing "Outhouse" at Mary Jane, what else could you ask for in life... I grew up in Clear Creek County just next door to you guys, I even Skiied against you guys when I was on my high school ski team way back when..... " Go Gold Diggers"..
Seriously you just got to keep looking and keep your nose clean, I got my CDL in 04, 10 years after Grand Countys finest pulled me over leaving the Crooked Creek Saloon after a night of drinkng that lead to my one and only DUI.. my instructors told me it should not be a problem as it had been 10 years, what did your instructors tell you about your DUI? My advice is to just keep looking and sooner or later omeone will give you a chance, dont be picky and once you get hired deal with any BS you come across for a year or two and then move on, the idea is to get some sort of experience while keeping your nose clean in all areas of your life.. Nice to see another Colorado boy on this suffering board... Welcome...

Timberwolf

Last edited by Kentla93; 10-16-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM

I would look for a mom and pop small company to go to work for. The major carriers prob won't hire you.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentla93 View Post
Personally I think you need to get your azz back to Grand County, If I could my ass would be sitting in Fraser or Winter Park, Hell I could even deal with Granby or Grand Lake with the fire place glowing a beer in hand and warming up from a day of skiing "Outhouse" at Mary Jane, what else could you ask for in life... I grew up in Clear Creek County just next door to you guys, I even Skiied against you guys when I was on my high school ski team way back when..... " Go Gold Diggers"..
Seriously you just got to keep looking and keep your nose clean, I got my CDL in 04, 10 years after Grand Countys finest pulled me over leaving the Crooked Creek Saloon after a night of drinkng that lead to my one and only DUI.. my instructors told me it should not be a problem as it had been 10 years, what did your instructors tell you about your DUI? My advice is to just keep looking and sooner or later omeone will give you a chance, dont be picky and once you get hired deal with any BS you come across for a year or two and then move on, the idea is to get some sort of experience while keeping your nose clean in all areas of your life.. Nice to see another Colorado boy on this suffering board... Welcome...

Timberwolf
Hello Timberwolf,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Doing my best to keep my nose clean and as stated, most carriers are 5 years from conviction date or stop date. I've only got about 7 months to go for that. I worked for Grand County Road & Bridge for 2 1/2 years and wouldn't have left except for the fact that we needed to get somewhere different with more opportunities for my wife. Fast forward 3 years, my wife joined the Army and we are now in the Norfolk, VA area.
Funny thing, we are still closer than you think. I attended Denver Lutheran High School and my parents still live at the Chief Hosa exit and have been there since 1970! Thanks again for the advice and it is just going to take a little time and patience.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks all for your advice so far. Will probably just have to wait another 7 months or so until my DUI is 5 years old. Will keep on trying to find a company that only requires 3 years. I have found one company so far, Total Transportation out of Mississippi. They only require 3 years since and they do hire newly graduated students. Keep the advice and knowledge coming though, things are always changing!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks all for your advice so far. Will probably just have to wait another 7 months or so until my DUI is 5 years old. Will keep on trying to find a company that only requires 3 years. I have found one company so far, Total Transportation out of Mississippi. They only require 3 years since and they do hire newly graduated students. Keep the advice and knowledge coming though, things are always changing!
There is nothing wrong with working for that company as a "starter". I have talked with a lot of their drivers over the last 6-7 years, and have seldom run into one that was pissed off about them.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Board Icon

If you have an "offer," or a good chance of getting on with TOTAL, then do it now. If you wait 7 months or more to start driving a truck, it will look bad on your record. Many companies will immediately disqualify you and you would have to take a refresher course.

There are very few companies that will give you a chance with a "3 yr old" on your record. But, they are out there. I started my career with one. [not saying why I needed them.] Hey, there are felons who get a chance in this business!

Get "IN" to trucking... then get "INTO" trucking!

Seriously.... ANY way into this gig, is a good move. Get a few years and a bunch of miles under your belt, without a rollover or any other kind of "Swifty accident," and you got it made.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 10-18-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Hello Timberwolf,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Doing my best to keep my nose clean and as stated, most carriers are 5 years from conviction date or stop date. I've only got about 7 months to go for that. I worked for Grand County Road & Bridge for 2 1/2 years and wouldn't have left except for the fact that we needed to get somewhere different with more opportunities for my wife. Fast forward 3 years, my wife joined the Army and we are now in the Norfolk, VA area.
Funny thing, we are still closer than you think. I attended Denver Lutheran High School and my parents still live at the Chief Hosa exit and have been there since 1970! Thanks again for the advice and it is just going to take a little time and patience.
Wow Chief Hosa, I spent many a day cruising the chief Hosa camp ground as a high school kid every summer when the Grateful Dead came to town always a easy place to find an escape from life when the dead heads were campng there for the three days of concerts at Red Rocks. We moved to Eastern Clear Creek County in 1970 as well from Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Aurora. Our house was in Evergreen on Stagecoach road a mile from the jeffco border in Clear Creek County yet I went to Jeffco schools until 6th grade and then my dad decided Jeffco sucked and had us transfer Idaho Springs, so we made the 17 mile treck down soda creek road over to I 70 and on to Idaho Springs to school every day two years before the rest of Eastern Clear creek County residents had to do it. So i guess you can say Evergreen is my true home and idaho springs was my high school home, I know the area like the back of my hand, even as I type i can remember spring of 1980 I was a jr and coming home from crusing Colfax on a Friday night in my Brother's TR-7 rounding the slight corner there at Chief Hosa at the exit heading west and got caught in some sand, the rest is history I did at least 4 360's until I reached the bridge and came out smelling like a rose. Back then all that was in that area was El Rancho and that old Sinclair Gas Station just behind El Rancho, now it has changed so much it alost does not feel like home. Its great to talk to a fellow Evergreen guy. Not sure of your age however I graduated high school in 81 who knows maybe we cossed paths at one time or another... As far as the DUI it can happen to the best of us, just make sure it only happens once and tht you learned your lesson, Good luck with your job search and keep me infomed...

By the way my sister in law went to Denver Lutheran High school as well She graduated in 1987 I think her husband went there too.. When did you graduate?

Timberwolf

Last edited by Kentla93; 10-19-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Rookie
Default Va. Driving job

There are lots of companies in Va. that run freight out of the ports in the Norfolk area. They are less strict than most major carriers, however you will still have the issue of getting one to train you. I started out with a carrier there after school myself and went through 4 weeks before they cut me loose. That company is called Pilot and I see some of their trucks still around, but I'm not sure if they still train. Actually I had a little inside help on getting trained, they just didn't train everyone at that time out of school, but it's a name and a start for you anyway. There also was a website that listed all carriers with access to haul freight out of the ports and I believe I got it off the Norfolk terminal website. But anyway you should be able to Google it and get carrier lists. regardless of the driving job that you can get other than farming gigs, it will be beneficial to get in a truck soon as possible and don't wait because the insurance companies will reject you for sure. Whatever don't give up there is someone out there that will give you a shot if that is the only blemish that you have on your driving record and your criminal side is squeaky clean. Also be careful going to work for owner ops. Most major carriers frown on the experience because they can't document you properly with their insurance companies as to your actual driving jobs and even some local jobs won't qualify you, most want a minimum of three states where you live in your truck and don't cry for home every night. Good Luck and AiM HiGh.