User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider Oilfield Hauling

Anyone know what Schneider is doing in the way of "oilfield hauling"? Type equipment, pay scheme, time on/off, etc? I've seen some emails from them looking for "oilfield drivers" in some areas. Some areas seem to pay better than others. I was just somewhat curious if this is new to Schneider or just news to me. Is this just an "experiment" for Schneider or are they in this for the long haul? I've always wanted to move to sunny Casper to work the winter months, 70 hours a week for how much pay and benefits?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

this is news to me

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Specialized stuff like this tends to be temporary/seasonal/dedicated and your job may be subject to a contract your company has with shippers. If you want to get into something like this go directly to a company that specializes in this, not some big carrier hoping to underbid the experts...they tend to fail.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeck View Post
Anyone know what Schneider is doing in the way of "oilfield hauling"? Type equipment, pay scheme, time on/off, etc? I've seen some emails from them looking for "oilfield drivers" in some areas. Some areas seem to pay better than others. I was just somewhat curious if this is new to Schneider or just news to me. Is this just an "experiment" for Schneider or are they in this for the long haul? I've always wanted to move to sunny Casper to work the winter months, 70 hours a week for how much pay and benefits?
Down here, Schneider's drivers are getting paid $900 a week, plus break time is spent in a motel, while another driver uses the truck. They are using their standard road equipment, which includes using some of their "wrecked" insulated stainless steel trailers, which they have stripped the insulation from, patched the damage up and outfitted the trailers with a vapor vent and belly unload line with dry-break heads. Schneider's trailers can haul about 150 barrels of oil (standard is 180 to 190). Standard crude trailers are aluminum 200 barrel vessels here in Texas. In Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas the trailers can haul a lot more.....230 to 260 barrels.

They run through drivers pretty quickly. The road drivers that come down to try it out last about 2 weeks.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM

hmmmm. I suppose in TX they are attracting a lot of "mexican" drivers who think the money, home-time, and benefits are good. I've lived in South Texas for 45 years and have nothing against mexican's but can't tolerate listening to their jawing tex-mex on the radio endlessly, day after day. Might be better to take my 5th wheel to WY for the winter if that's the driving work I wanted to do.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Smith transport has a bunch of trucks hauling water to and from the oilfields in pa.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeck View Post
hmmmm. I suppose in TX they are attracting a lot of "mexican" drivers who think the money, home-time, and benefits are good. I've lived in South Texas for 45 years and have nothing against mexican's but can't tolerate listening to their jawing tex-mex on the radio endlessly, day after day. Might be better to take my 5th wheel to WY for the winter if that's the driving work I wanted to do.
Actually, the majority of the drivers are white, with a few African-Americans thrown in. Just not that many Hispanics....at Schneider at least. Now.....most of the trucks from over on US83...different story.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 AM
Rookie

Hey Guys.

Thanks for all your informative posts. Now.. need opinions and advice.

The situation: I am a 65 year old retired homebuilder in perfect health. Kids grown, wife happy with her career, not looking for my next meal. Have class A CDL w/comb and brakes. Can get hazmat X. NO EXPERIENCE (OK one over the road trip to Cali.) Doofus "trainer" slept all the way-no help.
After training two years ago my sons called me back because they were in desperate need for my drafting skills in their construction company.

Live in South Dakota 500 miles from North Dakota oil patch. Any thoughts on my getting a job up there? Long hours and weather no problem if I can get into a company leased man camp. Lived in the Dakotas all my life so used to it. Many Many thanks fellas. Greg.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM

I haul Frac sand in West Texas and southern New Mexico. Schnieider has started hauling frac sand out here also. It is very entertaining when they arrive on location. The driver has to have a Schneider supervisor present before they can do anything.They have torn up their equipment.I would stay away from Schneider, as far as the oilfield goes.