User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemad View Post
Thank you all for your input. It is really helpful!

The Gross Vehicular Weight is 27,800 lbs and it does have air brakes.

It sounds like I would at least need an airbrake endorsement. I probably also need a class B....do any of you know whether that need to be a commercial or non commercial?

First thing that I need to do is get educated about how to adjust airbrakes. Does anybody have a recommendation of where I can read up on this? I have a pretty clear idea of how they work. I always drain my tanks, but it would be great to get more formal information.

Thanks for all your help

Graham
Intrepid Handcycles
Since I have had a commercial license since I was 21, I have never checked into what is available on a "Private" license. But.....like CRB suggested.....you're money ahead to take your question to the DMV.........not to your local LEO....but to the DMV. Class "B" has always meant commercial license to me. Since you are in Kalifornia....you need to think how you do this. IF you pull a trailer behind that bus, you can expect to be pulled to the shoulder by a CHP-DOT officer and measured. IF your total length is greater than 53 feet, he will make you call a tow truck if you don't have a class "A".
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I know that there is a loophole in the law that says: If you own the equipment, and it is grossed under 26,000, you do not require a CDL. My son-in-law ran a hotshot for years without one and had it licensed for 25,999. But, he did not have air-brakes. At 27,800, I suggest you get one. Also, you will need a DOT Physical. Do not plan on finding a way around that.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One other thing to throw into the mix - if this vehicle was originally designed as a bus built to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), you might still be required to get a CDL. With the GVW you quoted, it would be a class B with a passenger endorsement. I have a friend that worked for the DDS here in Georgia and one day we got into a discussion of people that converted old buses into motorhomes. He said according to the laws here, the class of license a vehicle requires is based on what the vehicle was designed for, and what is stated on the data plate - not what the current use of the vehicle is. So even though you removed the seats and are using it for something other than transporting passengers, it's still considered a bus for licensing purposes. Just another 2 cents worth.