User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Electronic logs! :( Heeeeelp!!

It looks like what i have hoped never to experience, i will do soon...Getting hired on by a company that uses them.
Now i'm used to running loose leaf, I'm used to running to within a short distance of my delivery and shutting down for the night at a cosy spot, then going in to deliver in the morning. I guess this means i cannot claim i got to the delivery and stay off duty till im unloaded with El. logs now can I? I kinda have to relearn a bit since i havent run a sleeper truck in years and never electronic logs....What happens if there is a delay warranting using the 16hr exception? will some damn box be beeping at me all day? I'm lost with this technology junk- pls someone gimme some insight on how this crap works b4 i go to orientation and then regret having gone...
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
It looks like what i have hoped never to experience, i will do soon...Getting hired on by a company that uses them.
Now i'm used to running loose leaf, I'm used to running to within a short distance of my delivery and shutting down for the night at a cosy spot, then going in to deliver in the morning. I guess this means i cannot claim i got to the delivery and stay off duty till im unloaded with El. logs now can I? I kinda have to relearn a bit since i havent run a sleeper truck in years and never electronic logs....What happens if there is a delay warranting using the 16hr exception? will some damn box be beeping at me all day? I'm lost with this technology junk- pls someone gimme some insight on how this crap works b4 i go to orientation and then regret having gone...
Ummmmmmmmm.............Why are you sweating???

As far as logging loading and unloading times......You arrive...hopefully spot to a door quick....then log off duty not driving or sleeper berth, while they unload. The only loading / unloading you are required to log "on-duty not driving" for is hazardous materials. Half an hour on-duty upon arrival..................half an hour on-duty when you are ready to leave. As lng as you don't move the truck at speeds over 5 mph and distances greater than 7/10 of a mile....it won't know that you are working or not.

moo
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

This means I have to find a place to sleep within 7/10 of a mile of the dock and drive under 5mph till im backed in? Doesnt the pose an issue in your mind? What if the place where i deliver is big and i do more than 7/10 of a mile just trying to get into position? Then i started my 14hr clock or am in violation if i move into position while on my 10 hr break- thats why I'm sweating. Now i know why many drivers creep along as soon as they get off the interstate- i always wondered...talk about pissing off 4 wheelers...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Senior Board Member

If you're like the majority of drivers who have used them, You'll never want to go back to paper logs. The difference in paper logs and computer logs is that there are no real fudge factors or avoidance of the HOS rules. Computers and these logging programs are anally literal! A pre-trip is a pre-trip.. if you drive before you do one, you are in violation, 11 hours is 11 hours, drive past that and you are in violation, past 14 on duty and you are in violation. log in to on-duty before 10 hours is up? violation., there is of course usually a training period where they will allow you to screw up and not get the finger. You will not be able to drive the truck in an off-duty status without being caught easily.. This will take a little more planning, but the fact that you don't have to babysit these things anymore. The biggest problem that my fleet has is 1. drivers missing post trips or pre-trips.. 2. drivers logging into the system before their 10 hour break is up.

On the Peoplenet system, your available driving hours and duty hours are right there on your screen. they are easy to keep track of and be able to judge when you need to start looking for a spot for the night.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

So, in practice, this means you either have to lay over at he shipper/reviever or start your 14 hr clock if u lay over elsewhere...Do i get this right?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Why would it be any different? I always try to get within 1hr of where I'm picking up/delivering the night before. The morning I'm due in, I start the day, go in, do my stuff, then go on about my day. Of course, if you're at a place that takes forever and a day to load/unload, that's a completely different story, but the majority of the time you might spend an hour or 2 there, with all but 15mins logged as off duty.

Trying to do it the way you used to (old school) is a thing of the past.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
So, in practice, this means you either have to lay over at he shipper/reviever or start your 14 hr clock if u lay over elsewhere...Do i get this right?
That's the way its always been.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing I've learned since being moved to these things from papyrus reed about a month ago is that you always make sure you've bought yourself a couple of hours time before getting to your given destination.
This way if Qualcomm/DM/Planner instructions conflict with what time the consignee actually wanted it to be there, you could always scoot off to a "trouble-free" location and iron that out with your people in the AM.

Case-in-point, Los Lunas NM WalMart DC and the code-enforcement drag-queens.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

'bought some time'? i got no clue what ur talking about bentstrider...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Why would it be any different? I always try to get within 1hr of where I'm picking up/delivering the night before. The morning I'm due in, I start the day, go in, do my stuff, then go on about my day. Of course, if you're at a place that takes forever and a day to load/unload, that's a completely different story, but the majority of the time you might spend an hour or 2 there, with all but 15mins logged as off duty.

Trying to do it the way you used to (old school) is a thing of the past.
It's different because that means i start my 14 in the morning, then have to load/unload before i can actually run some miles. This means i could be wasting half my day with bs while i could be off duty from when i lay down at night to when im ready to run. it means I will be running out my 14 every day, it means i will be having to find a parking spot in the evening when everything is full and it means i couldnt run into the night to my next stop If i felt like it. I think this is significant...