User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Time of service and Waiting on the customer

I understand that I can only drive for 11 hours and then need to stop for 10 hours, but I am trying to find information about the 34 hour reset. When does that happen? And if I'm out in the middle of somewhere, and not actually at my house, does the reset count against my one day off every 7 days?

My next question is about sitting at the customer. I have heard they can sometimes take a while (22 hours was the worst I heard about) to unload you. Can you leave the truck at all? Can you at least take a walk around the parking lot while you wait? Do they have restroom facilities? Yes I realize they won't have showers, I'm talking just being able to use the ladies room, with a sink to wash my face sometimes.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

The 34hr reset can be taken anywhere you feel like sitting for that long (if you have a choice in the matter). What the reset does is starts your 70hr/8 day clock over, meaning it's basically wiped clean. When you start up again after a reset, you have your full 70hrs available on your 8 day clock again. Myself, I try to never take them unless absolutely necessary. I can work/drive for 8.75hrs per day and never run out of hours. I've been out 2.5 weeks now, driven in the range of 10,000 miles and haven't had a reset. I did have a couple days that I could only drive 4-6 hours, but that's because of what happened a week prior.

"Most" places aren't that bad. The average is 2-3hrs max. I've never been to a place that wouldn't let me out of the truck, but some facilities may, mainly government, chemical, etc. Bathrooms - some have them, some don't - just the luck of the draw there. Some may have Porta-Potties, while others may not let you inside of the building. Most have restrooms - just ask.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
The 34hr reset can be taken anywhere you feel like sitting for that long (if you have a choice in the matter). What the reset does is starts your 70hr/8 day clock over, meaning it's basically wiped clean. When you start up again after a reset, you have your full 70hrs available on your 8 day clock again. Myself, I try to never take them unless absolutely necessary. I can work/drive for 8.75hrs per day and never run out of hours. I've been out 2.5 weeks now, driven in the range of 10,000 miles and haven't had a reset. I did have a couple days that I could only drive 4-6 hours, but that's because of what happened a week prior.

"Most" places aren't that bad. The average is 2-3hrs max. I've never been to a place that wouldn't let me out of the truck, but some facilities may, mainly government, chemical, etc. Bathrooms - some have them, some don't - just the luck of the draw there. Some may have Porta-Potties, while others may not let you inside of the building. Most have restrooms - just ask.
There are very few chemical plants that refuse drivers a clean restroom to use..........HOWEVER.........

In 2007 I was making a bulk chemical delivery to the water treatment facility at the Proctor & Gamble plant in Albany GA. After having sat at the unload rack for 5 hours.....while absolutely nothing was done to get me started unloading (it turned out that their tank was full and they expected me to sit there and wait for them to "make room"), I asked for a restroom.

The woman I asked was the unit supervisor, and she was down right rude when she told me that "Truckers are not allowed use to OUR restrooms!! You'll JUST have to hold it til you git out of here". Two workers more said the same damn thing to me.

Well....being the trucker that I are........I walked across the facility to the Main building, and asked a group of people sitting under their smoking cabana which of the offices facing the lawn was the Plant Manager's office. One guy actually responded pleasantly and asked why I wanted to know that.

The group went totally silent when I told them that if Proctor & Gamble expected "truckers" to act like trained dogs, that I was going to act like a trained dog. I needed to "Chit" and was going to to do so like a good dog, and CHIT on the grass in front of the managers window. I told them...not to worry....I carry "Bounty" paper towels, provided for free by Georgia Pacific to "Truckers like me"........so I could wipe myself clean afterward. I promised to scratch around in the grass like a good dog would too!

The fellow whom had responded so pleasantly, turned out to be the Plant Manager, and he wondered why the hell I had the "attitude".....I explained....including the 5 plus hours I had been patiently waiting, as well having asked three different workers back at the bulk storage facility, for use of restroom facilities. The guy actually took it well. He took me inside so I could use the facilities, took me down to the cafeteria and bought me late lunch....then took me to his office and summoned the supervisor who first treated me so rotten.

:lol: She like to have fainted when she saw me sitting in that chair at the manager's desk....and he asked her to explain why I was treated the way I had been. :thumbsup:

Six weeks later........I am back there for yet another delivery....this time with a corrosive compound that required I pump it off.....and yet another supervisor with a "screw you" attitude. :hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

I do not allow people to treat me like that. I DO NOT have to be there. IT is my truck.....I can leave if I want too. I hopped right up in my truck, and drove away. When I got out to the truck gate, the crash barrier was up, and the guard told me that "THEY" wanted me sent back to the bulk storage facility"......"THEY needed the product I was carrying. I politely asked the guard to lower the barrier so I could leave. When he wouldn't......I called 911 and had police officers come out. After a couple minutes explaining the situation, showing them my paperwork :deal: and explaining the fact that until someone at P & G signed for the product and removed it safely from inside the tank...IT WAS MY PRODUCT and I would do with it as I "Lawfully Pleased"........I took it right back to the plant in Mobile Alabama where it had been quickly and professionally loaded by that plant's personnel. Those Albany police officers had that gate down right quick, telling the guard that I was correct.....P & G had no right to detain me.

This is what I think of Proctor & Gamble.....and the manner in which they treat ALL truck drivers. :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Kiss it baby.....Kiss it.....doors one, three, five, six, seven and nine....drivers are waiting!!

Needless to say........I have not been back to Proctor & Gamble since......ANY Proctor & Gamble.

P & G could take a lesson from Kimberly-Clark and Georgia Pacific, when it comes to "how to be polite and friendly".
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Default TOS and Waiting

WHOA!!! I like it! A good reason why I pull flatbed. BOL
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I do not allow people to treat me like that. I DO NOT have to be there. IT is my truck.....I can leave if I want too. I hopped right up in my truck, and drove away. When I got out to the truck gate, the crash barrier was up, and the guard told me that "THEY" wanted me sent back to the bulk storage facility"......"THEY needed the product I was carrying. I politely asked the guard to lower the barrier so I could leave. When he wouldn't......I called 911 and had police officers come out. After a couple minutes explaining the situation, showing them my paperwork :deal: and explaining the fact that until someone at P & G signed for the product and removed it safely from inside the tank...IT WAS MY PRODUCT and I would do with it as I "Lawfully Pleased"........I took it right back to the plant in Mobile Alabama where it had been quickly and professionally loaded by that plant's personnel. Those Albany police officers had that gate down right quick, telling the guard that I was correct.....P & G had no right to detain me.

This is what I think of Proctor & Gamble.....and the manner in which they treat ALL truck drivers. :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Kiss it baby.....Kiss it.....doors one, three, five, six, seven and nine....drivers are waiting!!

[/I]
Awesome!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
There are very few chemical plants that refuse drivers a clean restroom to use..........HOWEVER.........

In 2007 I was making a bulk chemical delivery to the water treatment facility at the Proctor & Gamble plant in Albany GA. After having sat at the unload rack for 5 hours.....while absolutely nothing was done to get me started unloading (it turned out that their tank was full and they expected me to sit there and wait for them to "make room"), I asked for a restroom.

The woman I asked was the unit supervisor, and she was down right rude when she told me that "Truckers are not allowed use to OUR restrooms!! You'll JUST have to hold it til you git out of here". Two workers more said the same damn thing to me.

Well....being the trucker that I are........I walked across the facility to the Main building, and asked a group of people sitting under their smoking cabana which of the offices facing the lawn was the Plant Manager's office. One guy actually responded pleasantly and asked why I wanted to know that.

The group went totally silent when I told them that if Proctor & Gamble expected "truckers" to act like trained dogs, that I was going to act like a trained dog. I needed to "Chit" and was going to to do so like a good dog, and CHIT on the grass in front of the managers window. I told them...not to worry....I carry "Bounty" paper towels, provided for free by Georgia Pacific to "Truckers like me"........so I could wipe myself clean afterward. I promised to scratch around in the grass like a good dog would too!

The fellow whom had responded so pleasantly, turned out to be the Plant Manager, and he wondered why the hell I had the "attitude".....I explained....including the 5 plus hours I had been patiently waiting, as well having asked three different workers back at the bulk storage facility, for use of restroom facilities. The guy actually took it well. He took me inside so I could use the facilities, took me down to the cafeteria and bought me late lunch....then took me to his office and summoned the supervisor who first treated me so rotten.

:lol: She like to have fainted when she saw me sitting in that chair at the manager's desk....and he asked her to explain why I was treated the way I had been. :thumbsup:

Six weeks later........I am back there for yet another delivery....this time with a corrosive compound that required I pump it off.....and yet another supervisor with a "screw you" attitude. :hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

Needless to say........I have not been back to Proctor & Gamble since......ANY Proctor & Gamble.

P & G could take a lesson from Kimberly-Clark and Georgia Pacific, when it comes to "how to be polite and friendly".

Good for you. There is absolutely NO reason for some shippers to treat drivers the way you were treated.