User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Chance's are?? 5 year old felony charge!!

I have a possession charge, and a fighting in public charge from 2006. A excellent driving record have been driving a tow truck working for C H P, local pd even had background checks for sheriff's annually. No priors no prison time, Ten day's In jail and paid over $5000 in fines! I think I paid my debt to society! I really want to do OTR! Don't really want local runs. I Have my permit and DOT medical card and plan on having my endorsements before I start school In two weeks. Will any OTR companies even consider me? HELP!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Rookie

A possession of firearm or drug? Either way you are probably screwed. I wouldn't spend one penny on a school until you find some companies that would take you with your charges.

And yes, I would like to upsize to a large drink and fry for $1.49.....just joking.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Chance's are?? 5 year old felony!!

Stay where you are for another five years, you at least have a JOB. Agree with previous poster about the possession. Possession of what? Neither will endear you to a trucking HR or safety bubba or bubbette nor will the "fighting in public charge". You absolutley need to find an OTR employer who will hire you with your baggage, accept nothing less than several written offers. You can't afford an oops. I assume you're in Cali (C H P) but where you live would help in the advice area. BOL
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Rookie

San Diego CA, Is there any such employer out there?"Hire with baggage" my charge was possession of a controlled substance. "speed" and fighting In public, In my home more like! just an argument with my girlfriend. they didn't have a case for domestic violence so they called It fighting In public. After ten days In jail the public defender gave me some bad advice, told me I wouldn't get out unless I plead guilty. I did a stupid thing and learned my lesson and now I'm trying to move on! I think they should look at one's driving history a little closer, and less on the personal stuff. I'll pee In a cup everyday, even pay for the test's!! C'mon they give people jobs OTR that have had multiple DUI's! I am not a repeat offender. I got a speeding ticket back In 1980 that was the only moving violation. I'm going to go ahead and get my class A. I'm told that UPS and FED EX hires felons. I will have to wait to go long haul. I just found that USA Trucking hire's felons, as long as It's been five years old??? Know anything about them?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416_Bravo View Post
San Diego CA, Is there any such employer out there?"Hire with baggage" my charge was possession of a controlled substance. "speed" and fighting In public, In my home more like! just an argument with my girlfriend. they didn't have a case for domestic violence so they called It fighting In public. After ten days In jail the public defender gave me some bad advice, told me I wouldn't get out unless I plead guilty. I did a stupid thing and learned my lesson and now I'm trying to move on! I think they should look at one's driving history a little closer, and less on the personal stuff. I'll pee In a cup everyday, even pay for the test's!! C'mon they give people jobs OTR that have had multiple DUI's! I am not a repeat offender. I got a speeding ticket back In 1980 that was the only moving violation. I'm going to go ahead and get my class A. I'm told that UPS and FED EX hires felons. I will have to wait to go long haul. I just found that USA Trucking hire's felons, as long as It's been five years old??? Know anything about them?
Listen to what the others are saying! They know what there taking about. If you go ahead and get your CDL I predict your'll spend $3-5K for school only to find NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU! If you do find some one that will take the chance it will be a bottom feeder company that will pay you about .25 per mile and find all sorts of ways to short change even that meager wage. Stay where you are!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is a company listings on this forum which lists most of the major carriers and their policy concerning felonies. It lists the "minimum" requirements. Each carrier will determine their own policies concerning how they view felonies. At one time California had a program to assist felons to get into this business. You may want to check into that to see if that might be an option. I believe the program was to help those getting out of prison, but they may help. You could start with the state employment office or perhaps check with CHP, since you have been working with them. As others have mentioned, I would not spend the money on school without having a good idea if you could find a company that will hire you. Most carriers want to see at least 7-10 years after a conviction. Some will not hire a felon no matter how long since the conviction. And multiple DUI's are also a problem. They are looked at about the same as a felony conviction. Some will over look a DUI after a number of years have passed, but more than one is next to impossible to overcome.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Rookie

Bottom feeder company that will pay you about .25 per mile? Hell If they would give me a chance I would take .20 per mile just for the experience, most companies want one to three years before they consider you. LEAD ME TO THE BOTTOM FEEDERS?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Rookie

Sorry, new to this! can you direct me to the, company listings on this forum which lists most of the major carriers and their policy concerning felonies?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Do we realy need to tell you to scroll to the top of this page and look for the "company listings" in the orange section?????
Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Rookie

You know , just for some additional info..........If you want to drive that bad, ............ The Class A tow truck drivers make really good money where i am from. You have experience; it is just a matter of getting your Class A's and some additional training on the Class A Tow Rig.

I know some Class A tow drivers pulling in 1200-1500 per week; (which is good money in my area). You might want to consider going and towing rigs for a while, In Cali I am almost positive you would make more than that if you got with a good company. I would check around your area for Class A towing companies, see if they would let you have a job after you got your Class A/

Just a thought

Tags
criminal background, felon, felonies