User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Traffic tickets

I got 2 traffic tickets, one for speeding in Indiana and one for improper turn in Council Bluffs, IA.

The improper turn ticket got dismissed and the speeding ticket got changed to a non-moving violation. Specifically it was changed to not having the vehicle registration with me.

My question is, how are these going to show up on a search done by prospective employers? What exactly are the companies going to see?

TIA
Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Get DMV to pull your Motor Vehicle Record. See what shows up there. If nothing else, tell your prospective employer what happened. If they know it up front, they'll look at you as being honest and might give you a chance if the offenses aren't too major for them. If you don't tell them up front, they'll eventually find out and either not hire you, or fire you.
As for what the company will see, I'm not sure. That depends on how deeply they dig.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would also suggest that you get a copy of your mvr. If the improper turn was changed to something other than a moving violation, it should not hurt you. The speeding ticket may not hurt much, depending on how fast you were going. If it is 15 mph over the posted speed limit then it could hurt you.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Dismissed = didn't happen, right? So that's one not to worry about. It didn't happen. I could tell you an amusing story about a dip**** rookie cop pointing a gun at my head in Santa Rosa one time, but I won't because it didn't happen. (A $250 legal bill tells me so. Case dismissed. It didn't happen.)

The missing registration might be different though. It probably won't show on an MVR, but the newfangled CSA crap is another story (assuming this happened in a CMV). I got pulled over in Indianapolis a couple of years back (for speeding in a 50mph zone). The cop checked over my logs and asked a couple of questions, then handed me a Level 3 inspection report. I received a clean inspection, with the exception of a warning for excessive speed. I sent the inspection report to my company with my next TripPak and never heard another word about it. No citation or anything so I thought the issue was settled. It was, as far as that job went...

After getting hired to a new gig last summer, I had to go in and fill out a bunch of forms. Among the forms was one photocopied page of the application that I had filled out before I got the job. It turns out that my warning for speeding was reported on my CSA score, so the company needed me to correct that part of my application. When I said that I had no "tickets or convictions", as the application asked, I was apparently lying. I was supposed to have some clairvoyant knowledge that my non-ticket would qualify as a ticket, or whatever. The company didn't seem to care much at the time. They just needed everything to match up.

On the less positive side of the coin, I also recall an incident from my first run at this trucking thing (reference post #11 in this thread) that seemed to go quite differently. Some unreported (according to the company) incident got a guy ****canned before he even started.

The obvious difference would be that my non-MVR violation was still a moving violation. I'm not sure about the guy from the '06 episode, but you may have managed to slip through the cracks by getting it to a non-moving violation. Your benevolent government has a new program to make sure you get caught whenever possible though. It might be worth your while to drop ten bucks at this site and see what shows up. (Just bought mine, by the way. Pretty sure it was a waste of ten bucks, since it only showed the aforementioned violation in Indy, but I was curious.) You'll get an instant report and probably have a pretty good idea about what potential employers might see. Combined with an MVR, I would guess that you have all the bases covered.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 AM

GMAN and VPI, the "improper turn" got dismissed so it's gone. The speeding violation in Indiana, was the one that got changed to the "no registration" charge. That one was extremely ugly, it was for 19 over. Holy chit. Heading east leaving Chicago at the Indiana Westgate toll booth area.

But if prospective companies can't "see" a violation for speeding, then it doesn't matter how much I was "over".
Especially if it was converted to something else.

At the last company I worked, the "safety" guy said he could see all violations, warnings, etc. But he couldn't "see" the "warning" I got in Indiana for improper stopping on the Interstate. That never showed, and when I look at CSA 2010, it explains it only shows/records DOT inspections and crashes. So WTF?

So, while I agree that things have tightened up for the drivers, I think some things are only meant to "scare" drivers.

Meaning, the companies saying that "we can see everything that's happening" is BS.

But if you people don't know exactly what the companies can "see" with a search, then I guess I should talk to a lawyer about this.

At this point I think there's a chance that I'm completely clean on this, but I'm not sure. So I'll continue to check it out.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Vito, I've gotta wonder if your speeding warning showed up in the CSA2010 report because it occurred with an inspection. As I said, I'm fairly sure from reading the CSA2010 website that the only things on their reports are inspections and crashes.

And I have spent the $10 at your linked site and nothing showed up. However, knowing that these things often take some time, I'll check it out again.

GMan, I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to get a copy of my MVR.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 AM

I made it to the DMV today and got my MVR. It's completely clean. And I checked the FMCSA link Vito gave, and my CSA2010 scorecard is also completely clean.

No crashes and no inspections so there's nothing on there.

Apparently, neither of those tickets is going to show up anywhere.

So...time to find a job. There's lots of jobs around here so I'm going to start with the "honest' approach, and if they won't hire me, I'll reevaluate the "honesty" thing.