User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice needed on my transition!!!

Ok, I'm not exactly new to the road so I hope this is ok where I'm placing the thread, if not I'm sorry.

I'm looking to make a transition from flatbed and auto transport into dry van. I have an issue with my back that isn't horrible but lately I have to watch to not aggravate it too much. Dr said I should be ok to do dry van but that I should not do flatbed or auto transport no longer do to the physical part of the jobs.

My concern is this. Will dry van companies take me as I haven't pulled a dry van in years? The last 3 years have been otr and can be verified. The year before that was flatbed otr, but owner went under and I have no clue as how to get in touch with him. I haven't bumped a dock in years and my fear is that I'll go for my road test and try to back in and make a fool of myself! Don't get me wrong, I'm accident free all my career and used to pulling spreads, but just thinking I'll freak out when trying to prove myself to the new carrier........

Pertaining to my back situation, should I reveal this to jobs I'm seeking or leave it left alone? I know there isn't a chance to do 100% drop n hooks, but is it realalistic to think that I could find something that is 100% no touch freight? I shouldn't have a problem unloading with a jack , but live loads off the floor are def. an out. I don't want to go into something not saying it, and then can't perform the job expected.

Now....the big question!!! I have never drove for a large company. Always been with o/o with 1-5 trucks and have basically ran under the "just be on time" guide lines. I'm not concerned with making a huge income but I would expect to bring home $400-%500 in order to make me feel like its worth it to live in the truck. I'm leaving the freedom of when/where/how I want and I need some realistic expectations to think of. I have done research on MANY of large companies have narrowed down to a few.
I live in Galveston, Tx and would LOVE to find someone out of Houston, but Most I'm finding either bring you on in Dallas or San Antonio, which is plenty fine. With my fears of going to a large company, I'd like to be able to drive myself to orientation just incase "the worst" happens and I'm not out of money or stuck 1/2 way across the county. I have mostly ran south/south east and east coast, and would really like to stay in the south/south east area if I have a choice. I have ran in all 48, but I don't have much winter experience in the moutains and honestly don't know if I'm up for that.

How should I approach this situation properly so that I don't lead myself or my future employer on??? If anyone knows of a company I should research, plz feel free to let me in on it. I know you guys are going to knock me for this, but I've consider'd Swift or Warner. I know alot of guys will say I'm hiding something thinking of someone like that, but my idea is this. I'm tired of running like an o/o and not seeing the benifits. I'm ready to run complelty legal and put up with sittin a day or to for a load if that happens. I've ran out of reasons to make coloring in 2 books worth it and coupled with the physical limitations...I have a positive attitude towards this and ready to be with a large company that has freight and will fix my truck if something breaks.

Anyone have some advice?? I don't think I missed anything that is too important.....I don't have anything on my Dac, don't drink/drugs, and only 1 moving violation back on 08 (went through a yellow and street cop marked me for red, never been turned down or questioned about it).

If you've mad it this far, thank you! I'm trying to find friendly advice to see if I'm still able to be in this industry. I have put my resume out there for dispatch type job, but no hits and those positions seem to be VERY limited.

Last edited by supertruckerporkchop; 05-09-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member

If you have concerns about your back, and are in the Galveston area........why go to "Van" work?? Check out tanker outfits in the Houston area! Schneider National would be great for getting the training. Service Transport would provide a steady income. IF you want to be home every night, check out GulfMark Energy on the "Adams Resource" website. GulfMark hauls crude oil and their drivers make a very decent living. See what else is out there. Also...if you have been doing flatbed....check out flatbed companies too! Maverick out of Little Rock, Paul Transportation out of Enid Oklahoma, J. H. Walker Trucking...even Jordan Carriers out of Natchez MS.

Welcome to J.H. Walker Trucking

Home

Bulk | Trucking and Transportation Services | Schneider National, Inc.

Paul Transportation, Inc. | Service with Integrity

Home Page
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Rookie

I have called most all the tanker companies around here. I haven't yet called SNI but that has been on my mind. I wouldn't mind getting into tankers but I have no hazmat, I have the tanker endorsement but most the companies I've talked to want experience, even a couple of the ones that train and told me they aren't taking rookies at this point. I don't need to be home every night, but that would be ok! Doesn't tankers still require climbing up on the tanks and or loading machines?
I have the option to stay with flatbed with the owner I'm with now and my broker is willing to load me with NO tarp loads and to work with my situation, but any of the big name flatbed companies won't work with that. If was to go to them I would have to tarp if given a tarp load, and like I said, I don't want to put myself or my employer in that position. Thanks for the feedback, I'll call SNI today and see what info I can find out.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not worry about what others may say about Werner, Swift or any other carrier. Find one that you are happy with and enjoy the ride. There are drivers who are happy with them and have spent a number of years earning a good living. You might also check US Xpress, Covenant, JB Hunt, Crete and some of the other van carriers. There may also be some regional carriers down your way. You will get used to backing again. It just takes a little practice.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Gman,

Thanks for the upbeat and positive remarks. I acutally called JB an hour ago and If I don't stay w/ my o/o doing flatbed then I'm going for them. I spoke with a VERY nice and friendly guy from the Dallas terminal, which will be where orientation is. Told him everything minus the back issues and he said I need not worry about anything. He said as long as I show I know what I'm doing on the road test thats all that matters. Which is a HUGE relief cuz I'm so used to being alone and not having anyone grade my backing, lol, silly to say, but just makes me nervous thinking about it.
Either way, they have a couple dedicated lanes in Tx/La/Ar and would get me home every 2 weeks as the accounts take that long to run. 1 actually orgins 20 miles from my house. How strange is it that the LAST freakin call I make seems to be the one to please me enough to say I'm happy and confident about it??? Carma I suppose. Anyways, thanks again for the positive view. I'm still working with my o/o to see if he wants to accmodate me in the situation and if he can't he understands about going to a company job, so thats a relief too knowing that we can stay friendly in this transistion if thats what it takes

I guess honestly does go an extra mile still! Nice to know people are still "human" in trucking these days
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Take a look at Celadon as well. Living in that part of Texas, you can probably get right onto their Texas regional. I'm not sure what the hometime requirements are for that region (I'm OTR with them).
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Take a look at Celadon as well. Living in that part of Texas, you can probably get right onto their Texas regional. I'm not sure what the hometime requirements are for that region (I'm OTR with them).
Where abouts is their orientation? How long? How is the drop/hook ratio, and are you ever loading freight off the floor?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Orientation is, I think, all done in Indianapolis. They may do one in Laredo, but not sure on that. It last 3 days. I'd say drop/hook is about 75-80% and I've yet to touch anything in the trailer. My average miles per week is around 2,400 over the past year. That includes my 2 weeks vacation and normal time off (1 day home for every 7 days out). I ran about 124,500 miles in that time.

We also don't do much sitting waiting for them to find us a load. It happens once in awhile, but it's rare. Also, we rarely pick up a load and hand it off to another driver or team to deliver. My average length of haul is in the range of 750 miles per load.

Their vacation setup is great - every 30,000 miles you're dispatched, you earn a weeks paid vacation. The pay is $300 if you don't have HazMat and $600 if you do. HazMat loads also pay an extra $0.03 for all loaded miles.

The freight we pull and our normal operating areas are nice too. Their normal freight is in the range of 20,000lbs and runs are mainly in the southeast, south, midwest and southeast. Plus Canada (yuck). I rarely see the northeast.

As for pay, that's based on experience. Their max starting pay is $0.33cpm if you were at your last carrier for 3 years. You get a $0.01 raise for every 120,000 miles dispatched. As far as I know, there's no cap on the pay rate. I talked to one guy who's making $0.52cpm.

Last edited by Malaki86; 05-09-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertruckerporkchop View Post
Gman,

Thanks for the upbeat and positive remarks. I acutally called JB an hour ago and If I don't stay w/ my o/o doing flatbed then I'm going for them. I spoke with a VERY nice and friendly guy from the Dallas terminal, which will be where orientation is. Told him everything minus the back issues and he said I need not worry about anything. He said as long as I show I know what I'm doing on the road test thats all that matters. Which is a HUGE relief cuz I'm so used to being alone and not having anyone grade my backing, lol, silly to say, but just makes me nervous thinking about it.
Either way, they have a couple dedicated lanes in Tx/La/Ar and would get me home every 2 weeks as the accounts take that long to run. 1 actually orgins 20 miles from my house. How strange is it that the LAST freakin call I make seems to be the one to please me enough to say I'm happy and confident about it??? Carma I suppose. Anyways, thanks again for the positive view. I'm still working with my o/o to see if he wants to accmodate me in the situation and if he can't he understands about going to a company job, so thats a relief too knowing that we can stay friendly in this transistion if thats what it takes

I guess honestly does go an extra mile still! Nice to know people are still "human" in trucking these days
You are welcome. It sounds like things may just work out with JB Hunt for you. I used to run into some of their long time drivers around Columbus, OH. They seemed to like the company. I don't know how they are now, but at one time they were a pretty good company according to some with whom I have spoken. They should have freight about anywhere you go. Let us know how it goes with them. Did he give you an idea how long it may take before you can go to orientation?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Rookie

Once I put my app in and they verify my employment it will be the following week. I'm still trying to button up with my o/o to see if I can stay with him for a little while longer. I know I won't make the type of money at a large company that I do w/ him so I'd like to keep going as long as I can to bank some cash for a rainy day. Not only that but my owner and broker are willing to work with my back issue so I'm going to try and stick it out w/ the flatbed as long as I can. He's getting me a step deck tomorrow thinking that might help out and my broker seems to be loading steps w/ pretty good money right now. I should be back on the road next week and I will keep yall posted as to how it goes. I'm thankful my owner and broker are willing to put up with my situation until I can't do it no longer. I guess putting forth an effort and showing you care goes a long way sometimes when you "need" the help. That will also give me plenty of time to talk to actual drivers of JB and some of the other out at the t/s. When I leave here I really want to make it last and want to know I'll be happy where I'm going. I think alot guys fall into the "I need a job now" situation and don't have the freedom to research the companies they like in depth. I'm guilty of that is the start of my career and I have since learned what I want, and what I can expect of myself out here on the road!

I'll rehash this thread hopefully in the next couple weeks and let everyone know what I find out from drivers of the larger companies, not only for my benifit but just another source for others out there