User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Having trouble looking for work...

I went through the C. R. England trucking School back in August of 2010. Graduated in September/October and went 2nd seat with another guy I met in the school. My problem is I was cut off on I-35N in Robinson, Tx on 01/09/2011. No citations and no injuries but I ended up totaling the car that changed lanes in front of me.

I was then discharged on 01/10/2011 and ever since then I can not for the life of me find another company to hire me on. Although she came into my lane, I was discharged cause I wasn't following the company rules to the teeth. I was going the speed limit but I was suppose to go 5 mph below.

I was told USA Truck was like a 2nd chance company, but they told me the same thing just about every other company I talked to. Because I was discharged cause of an accident they couldn't take me. I got to have 2 yrs safe driving experience before they could consider me.

My question is, how or where can I go to get those years I need? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in Mesquite, Tx if that will make a difference.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchap83 View Post
I went through the C. R. England trucking School back in August of 2010. Graduated in September/October and went 2nd seat with another guy I met in the school. My problem is I was cut off on I-35N in Robinson, Tx on 01/09/2011. No citations and no injuries but I ended up totaling the car that changed lanes in front of me.

I was then discharged on 01/10/2011 and ever since then I can not for the life of me find another company to hire me on. Although she came into my lane, I was discharged cause I wasn't following the company rules to the teeth. I was going the speed limit but I was suppose to go 5 mph below.

I was told USA Truck was like a 2nd chance company, but they told me the same thing just about every other company I talked to. Because I was discharged cause of an accident they couldn't take me. I got to have 2 yrs safe driving experience before they could consider me.

My question is, how or where can I go to get those years I need? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in Mesquite, Tx if that will make a difference.
The fact that you are a "Newbie" and already collected major points under CSA is a killer. CRE is a dirt bag company for doing that to you.........but then again.....CRE has been a dirt bag company for a very long time.

MY suggestion to you is; Sit down and write a letter of regret. Send it to CRE, explaining that you understand what you did wrong, explain your regrets for not having been capable of avoiding the accident and ask them to reconsider their stance and rehire you. Agree to an extended "retraining" period.

Wait for that letter to have had time to reach the CRE safety department....(send it priority mail). After that period has gone by (3 or 4 days) have a second letter written out and ready. Make certain it is sincere and comprehensive!! Then take both letters with you, and go to companies and speak with their hiring managers directly. DO NOT USE EMAIL OR THE PHONE...........Do this "In Person"!!

Be completely honest with these companies and their people.

You have Crete down on I-45 in Wilmer. Stevens Transport has a terminal in the Dallas area. Get out there and talk with these companies face to face, and be sincere in your regrets. Do not try and place blame...simply express sincere regret.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may want to get a copy of the accident report. If it shows that the other driver was at fault another carrier might be more willing to hire you. You may also try a smaller carrier, but most will want you to have a year or two experience for insurance purposes. Another thing that might help is to get a letter from CR England that states that you were not at fault and the reason you were fired. I am surprised that their policy is for 5 mph under the posted speed limit. It would be easier if you had more experience. I think you will need to keep making phone calls until you find a carrier willing to take a chance on you. When you do find a carrier, I would plan on staying with them for at least a year or two. You need a clean work history with nothing on your MVR or CSA during that time. If you can manage that then you can get your career back on track.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Find a towing company in your home town and call them about a Class A job. They put you in a heavy wrecker and this way you can get the needed experience, provided you don't get into more accidents. Towing companies always need people so they might be more open to hiring a driver with your record. I drove a 5 ton tilt-n-load tow truck before I got my CDL, so I speak from experience. You can actually make more money and work LESS driving a heavy duty wrecker than driving OTR. Just a tip.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 AM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Did you call swift they are 10x convicted felons why wouldn't they hire you?