User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Almost 5k for trucking school...REALLY?!

The local IITR school here is 4750. You have got to be kidding me. I'm trying to understand how someone could put up that much dough for a job that pays so little. It's like paying 5k grand to go to burger-flipping school, just so I can apply at McDonalds. (Not quite) but thats what it feels like.

I'd love to have my CDL, but not enough to spend probably 2 years of savings. Guess i'll look for some none CDL jobs.

/rant off
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Rookie

I'd pay 3k! heh
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post
The local IITR school here is 4750. You have got to be kidding me. I'm trying to understand how someone could put up that much dough for a job that pays so little. It's like paying 5k grand to go to burger-flipping school, just so I can apply at McDonalds. (Not quite) but thats what it feels like.

I'd love to have my CDL, but not enough to spend probably 2 years of savings. Guess i'll look for some none CDL jobs.

/rant off
You can find a better deal from your local community college.....or thru one of the Mega Carriers that will make you sign a contract for 18 months to two years of employment.

That 5K is based on average earnings of $35K over 5 years. If you find a decent driving job...and there are plenty out there....you can earn $58K to $68K as a solo driver....after you get your training time behind you.

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 03-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Board Regular

I thought the same thing when I first started out. My police academy was 20 weeks, involved ALOT more work and instructor hours, and only cost $3000. I never understood how the cost of CDL training is calculated.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

The school needs and wants the maxumim profit, after all that's why the're there. I paid $4000 about 8 years ago.The real question is how much is it worth to you?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfrombears View Post

/rant off
That depends on what CDL job you want, versus what job you have. I went from making $18k (gross) per year at a grocery store to making $58k (gross) my first full year in trucking. $5,400 was a bargain for that kind of pay difference. I reckon it all depends on your situation.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 PM

It's that high because they can get it.

Here's the real problem: Many, many, many potential drivers wash out within the first 6 months of training/driving and the turnover remains astronomical even with a shaky job market. You have to first square with yourself that this is something you can and want to do with the understanding that a lot of folks just like you don't make it. It can be as simple as getting canned for having a (relatively) minor accident you should have been able to prevent or merely discovering that the demands of the job don't suit your particulars. In any event, when you wind up on the outs, you still owe (or have paid) for the training and you have nothing to show for it.

On the upside, if you find your instincts were correct and that you can do the job and enjoy the work, the tuition will look like a bargain.

If you'd like to know more, I'll be happy to give my pro company paid training lecture. Just ask.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Driver training is expensive. But to put it in perspective, it could be a good value considering that it will prepare you for a lifetime income opportunity. It is expensive to buy and maintain trucks. Insurance must be astronomical with these schools. If you go to a vocational training school for a different career or spend 4 years in college you could easily spend much more to prepare for a career. Most college graduates will not start out at a higher salary than a driver, even after 4 years of college.

Some states offer funds and grants to retrain for a new career. You may check with your local employment office. There could also be money available in the form of grants and student loans if you go to a state community college or state vocational school. Many offer CDL training programs and even placement after graduation. State programs are usually longer than private schools, but you can save quite a bit on tuition by going the state route. As Orangetxguy mentioned, some of the major carriers offer CDL training. This has been a good way for many to obtain their CDL without any out of pocket expenses. As he also noted, there are strings. Most will require a commitment to work for a period of time. The time differs from one carrier to another, but most will require about 1 year of work commitment after you obtain your CDL. And if something happens and you don't graduate you will usually still be on the hook for the money. Should you quit or be terminated for any reason, you will also likely be obligated to reimburse the company for your training. The advantage to the company paid training is that you will have a new career at no cost and you will be paid while you learn.

If you decide to pay for your own training some carriers will reimburse you a fixed amount each week or month as long as you stay with them. You need to check arouind to find what is best for you. One other thing to remember is that if you pay for your own training and have your CDL prior to going to work for a carrier, you will usually start at a higher pay rate than if you go through their training program.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Here is how i got my CDL ~10years ago: went to local DMV(NYState), got book on CDL, studied my self, next week went back to DMV, took the test, passed. Then i went to local driving school, asked them how much per hour to take lesson to drive tractor-trailer. Back then was $65/hour. Took 8 hours total, 1 hour every day. Went to road test with same school, same truck, for road test they charged me $75. Passed first time. Got my CDL for ~$600.
Even with no experience with fresh CDL, i was able to get better paying job, insted of going big carrier who train and get tighed up for months with little pay.
You can say that was 10 years ago, but its still the same, just call any drivig school, teld them you allready have "lerners permit", just need hour or two lesson. After driving for 1 hour, you will see how many more you will need.
Another thing: most driving schools offer jobs with some carriers after paying ~$5000 for them and succesfully getting CDL. Its not true, they will give you list of companys and ph#, but they never know if they hire, or if they take rookies. Good luck...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM

I joined the National Guards , they paid for it 100%, and got money back for going to school.