Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
Swift says there's a hiring freeze in Florida, but if I move to Phoenix I just have to have my Class A permit and they put me through their driving academy. I didn't ask her how much they pay for that or anything. I find that to get any information out of these people I'm calling it's like pulling teeth.

Anyway, Werner says I have to be graduated with 160 hours OR have 30 days experience, then they put me through 275 hours of training (6-8 weeks) at $350/week, and they hire team drivers but they start at .29/mile for a team and from what I hear that is really poor pay. I called a few other places and they all want at least a year of verifiable otr experience, even if we own our truck.

I can see that it's really tough to get started in this business...

Something to keep in mind is that you are learning a new profession. Training pay is not great, but you are essentially being paid to learn a new career. It may be a bit rough until you get into your own truck, but pay will go up once you get some experience behind you. Most teams will do over 5,000 miles/week. The pay is split between the two team members. At 5,000 miles you will both split almost $1,500. that is over $700/week each. You can be making that much in as little as 6-8 weeks.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM

That is what I'm hoping for Gman. Well actually I was hoping we would get paid more then that haha. It's just getting the foot in the door that is proving hard. We even thought 'oh let's just buy our own truck then they won't ask for experience' but nooooo, they still want you to have experience! I asked one lady why and she said 'because it's our freight that you're hauling'. Totally makes sense.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

It would be tough to get a loan too with no experience. Perhaps you are thinking of buying a truck outright with cash but if you go through the bank they want experience.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That is what I'm hoping for Gman. Well actually I was hoping we would get paid more then that haha. It's just getting the foot in the door that is proving hard. We even thought 'oh let's just buy our own truck then they won't ask for experience' but nooooo, they still want you to have experience! I asked one lady why and she said 'because it's our freight that you're hauling'. Totally makes sense.

If you and the Hubby are serious about team driving...You really need to absorb some of the advise you have received. It has all been spot on. Heck...You even got a comment from the Caveman! Which is saying something!

IF you are serious about driving truck together.......Either move to Atlanta........or Chicago......or Salt Lake City.......or Seattle........or Phoenix.......or Los Angeles........or Columbus OH..........or Iowa City Iowa............... DO NOT jump into buying a truck until you have at least driven one for a thousand miles or so!! Get some training out of the way. Team together for a year or so......then figure out what you want to do after that.

my two cents
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with Orange.... your location is what is going to kill you. If you move out west, you will be limited on freight and movement I think. The midwest is the best place for freight, miles and most companies you look at (if not ALL of them) have it as a hiring area. IN/IL/OH/MO/WI are the one's I'd say look towards. If you come my way then I could help you locate a few places around here. I know TMC takes drivers who go thru a driving academy here in NW Indiana....... steer away from moving to Chicago due to HIGH rent. I live 60min from downtown and my house payment is less than my apartment was in the burbs by $300. Just some FYI, and if you need anything just shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help the best I can
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM

Since I started this thread I have hit the phones hard and now I have talked with several people who said they would hire my husband and I as a team out of where we currently live, but only AFTER we graduate from an accredited driving school with 160 hours. One guy in particular is from Wil Trans, they haul refrigerated trailers. The guy told me that once hubby and I graduate from the school we would have to train for 60,000 miles with seperate trainers first, which takes about 4 months. But after that we will be able to drive together. But I didn't get any particulars out of him like how much we would get paid, I figure when it comes time to pick a company I would ask those questions. The guy at the school told me that once he puts me through his system I would have about 7 or 8 companies to choose from for what I am looking for (to be hired out of my area and to drive team with hubby).

Of course all of this is just our back-up plan. As soon as we get our dump truck all fixed up we are going to put it to work and see how it goes. We are going to give it 2-3 months. We already know what they pay, but what we are worried about is whether or not we will have enough work to keep us busy at least 5 or 6 days a week.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Since I started this thread I have hit the phones hard and now I have talked with several people who said they would hire my husband and I as a team out of where we currently live, but only AFTER we graduate from an accredited driving school with 160 hours. One guy in particular is from Wil Trans, they haul refrigerated trailers. The guy told me that once hubby and I graduate from the school we would have to train for 60,000 miles with seperate trainers first, which takes about 4 months. But after that we will be able to drive together. But I didn't get any particulars out of him like how much we would get paid, I figure when it comes time to pick a company I would ask those questions. The guy at the school told me that once he puts me through his system I would have about 7 or 8 companies to choose from for what I am looking for (to be hired out of my area and to drive team with hubby).

Of course all of this is just our back-up plan. As soon as we get our dump truck all fixed up we are going to put it to work and see how it goes. We are going to give it 2-3 months. We already know what they pay, but what we are worried about is whether or not we will have enough work to keep us busy at least 5 or 6 days a week.
I always see the WIL guys at Wildwood. Trucks seem nice and all the guys I talked to were good and seemed professional as drivers. Might be just the ticket for you two
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I always see the WIL guys at Wildwood. Trucks seem nice and all the guys I talked to were good and seemed professional as drivers. Might be just the ticket for you two
Awesome
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member