User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving test by companies?

I have my class B and have a little experience driving a dump truck. I'm thinking about going for my class A. But I just was curious, if I get hired by a company, since I don't have experience, will they make me sit with someone first? If I did have experience, do they make me take a driving test with them?

Thanks!
Jen
Old 11-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

yes to all of the above...... if you have 0 exp with a Class A then you can expect to be with a trainer for up to 2 months.

As for the second part, I have never worked for a company that didn't require a driving test. Hell, I even own my own trucks and still had to take driving tests even tho it was MY truck and I have experience.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At one time I didn't give new applicants a driving test. That changed when I took a ride with one who was supposed to have 16 years experience. He could not shift without scraping the gears. With that much experience he should not be scraping gears. I think most will scrap a gear now and then, but this guy scraped gears with nearly every shift. He had a very short career with me. Carriers and owner operators who hire drivers should give them a road test. Mosts carriers will require a road test. I think one reason is you can tell a lot about a driver and his experience when you take a test ride with him. You can fake references. You CAN'T fake a road test.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
...... You CAN'T fake a road test.
Unless of course you happen to be "the most interesting driver in the world."
click here>>> http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/c...ver-world.html

He could rear end a Police car, pushing it for a 1/4 mile before stopping. The Cop would jump out, feeling honored and write something on a pad, and then hope to get his autograph.

The Cop wouldn't even ask him about that motorcycle wedged between the drive dualies. :thumbsup:

Old 11-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for those answers, that is exactly what I needed to know. Happy Thanksgiving, don't eat too much!!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Board Member

While just about every company will have their own policy for you to do a road test I thought it was part of the regulations that carriers were required to road test new employees as part of their hiring process ? I can't find it in the regulations though. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Board Icon

TK...
I think it is a Fed DOT reg.
As far as I know, it comes under FMCSR 391 for driver qualifications.
You have to sign a Certificate of Road Test, as part of your new hire.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

There it is

Part 391.31: Road test. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

< 391.27391.33 >Related Links Tests

§391.31 Road test. (a) Except as provided in subpart G, a person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she has first successfully completed a road test and has been issued a certificate of driver’s road test in accordance with this section.
(b) The road test shall be given by the motor carrier or a person designated by it. However, a driver who is a motor carrier must be given the test by a person other than himself/herself. The test shall be given by a person who is competent to evaluate and determine whether the person who takes the test has demonstrated that he/she is capable of operating the commercial motor vehicle, and associated equipment, that the motor carrier intends to assign him/her.
(c) The road test must be of sufficient duration to enable the person who gives it to evaluate the skill of the person who takes it at handling the commercial motor vehicle and associated equipment, that the motor carrier intends to assign to him/her. As a minimum, the person who takes the test must be tested, while operating the type of commercial motor vehicle the motor carrier intends to assign him/her, on his/her skill at performing each of the following operations:
(c)(1) The pretrip inspection required by §392.7 of this subchapter;
(c)(2) Coupling and uncoupling of combination units, if the equipment he/she may drive includes combination units;
(c)(3) Placing the commercial motor vehicle in operation;
(c)(4) Use of the commercial motor vehicle’s controls and emergency equipment;
(c)(5) Operating the commercial motor vehicle in traffic and while passing other motor vehicles;
(c)(6) Turning the commercial motor vehicle;
(c)(7) Braking, and slowing the commercial motor vehicle by means other than braking; and
(c)(8) Backing and parking the commercial motor vehicle.
(d) The motor carrier shall provide a road test form on which the person who gives the test shall rate the performance of the person who takes it at each operation or activity which is a part of the test. After he/she completes the form, the person who gave the test shall sign it.
(e) If the road test is successfully completed, the person who gave it shall complete a certificate of driver’s road test in substantially the form prescribed in paragraph (f) of this section.
(f) The form for the certificate of driver’s road test is substantially as follows:

CERTIFICATION OF ROAD TESTDriver’s name ______________________________

Social Security No. ______________________________

Operator’s or Chauffeur’s License No. ______________________________

State ______________________________

Type of power unit ______________________________

Type of trailer(s) ______________________________

If passenger carrier, type of bus ______________________________

This is to certify that the above-named driver was given a road test under my supervision on ____________________ 20 _____ consisting of approximately __________________________ miles of driving. It is my considered opinion that this driver possesses sufficient driving skill to operate safely the type of commercial motor vehicle listed above.______________________________

(Signature of examiner)______________________________

(Title)______________________________

(Organization and address of examiner)
(g) A copy of the certificate required by paragraph (e) of this section shall be given to the person who was examined. The motor carrier shall retain in the driver qualification file of the person who was examined—
(g)(1) The original of the signed road test form required by paragraph (d) of this section; and
(g)(2) The original, or a copy of, the certificate required by paragraph (e) of this section.
[35 FR 6460, Apr. 22, 1970, as amended at 36 FR 223, Jan. 7, 1971; 59 FR 8752, Feb. 23, 1994; 60 FR 38744, July 28, 1995]
Old 11-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER View Post
While just about every company will have their own policy for you to do a road test I thought it was part of the regulations that carriers were required to road test new employees as part of their hiring process ? I can't find it in the regulations though. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.
You could be right.Laws are changing more then I can keep up with.When I first started I did'nt have to take a road test till after training which surprised me.The purpose of a road test for the new soon to be drivers is to make sure you can handle a semi and testing you on the turns.But for a bad shift they won't dock you for that.Tester figures you'll learn the shifting while in training.