Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
no, not you, the guy who still insists that the job offer is illegal

I have only worked for one company that required me to pay for my medical
even Quality Carriers paid for it, but they DID rip me off in plenty of other ways
I'm with QC now and have been for the last 2yrs, but I am an O/O and do a dedicated run so I have no idea how they treat their company guys or their OTR drivers. I love the run I do, and I will not be leaving unless this Wal-Mart deal comes thru after the 1st of the year.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
ME????

Well, lets see. I have worked for>>>>>
Schneider
Wal-Mart
Barr-Nunn
Landstar
Quality Carriers
TransCorr
US1
Whitcomb Trucking

and NONE paid for my medical card. It is a requirement to have a CDL, and they don't pay for your CDL either. Like I said, I know of 2 companies that I have heard DID pay for your medical card, but that was because you were using their training school and thus just absorbed in that cost. They were Swift and Werner
Can you tell me a little about Barr-Nunn? How were they to work for? Were they driver friendly? Did they keep you rolling? Would you work for them again?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon View Post
Can you tell me a little about Barr-Nunn? How were they to work for? Were they driver friendly? Did they keep you rolling? Would you work for them again?

Thanks.
I worked for them for 3 weeks.

In my opinion, they are a bait-n-switch company. I went on their REGIONAL program as an O/O and was told I would average 2000 miles a week and I saw 1400 miles the first week, the second week I ran a load from Des Moines to Traverse City, MI and then sat for 2 days w/o a load. I then just dead-headed home the 300 miles. The third week they sent me from Chicago to Indy twice and then told me they had no runs for me. When i asked why I was not getting the miles they said, they told me that they give out loads according to senority basically and I was the NEW guy.... so I said thanks for the info and shipped their qualcomm and fuel cards back to them.

On top of that, I could never get ahold of my dispatcher, they wouldn't answer the qualcomm and refused to talk to you about a load until you accepted their "pre-plan" over the computer. I give them no credit, and I highly suggest you find somewhere else to work.

Also, I just spoke to 2 of their drivers last week in Texarkana and they had been sitting at the Flying J for 3 days w/o a load. I also have not seen their trucks as much as before, not sure if they are making it ok???
Old 11-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks Cowboy. I've been trying to find a local job hauling fuel or what not but so far no luck. I've been looking around at some of the OTR companies just in case and Barr-Nunn is one I heard some good things about but as of late the news hasn't been so good. I think, after reading your response, I'll pass on these guys.

Thank you so much.

L
Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I'm with QC now and have been for the last 2yrs, but I am an O/O and do a dedicated run so I have no idea how they treat their company guys or their OTR drivers. I love the run I do, and I will not be leaving unless this Wal-Mart deal comes thru after the 1st of the year.
I was an owner operator for them, they paid for my physical, but they lied about leasing me on to the company and put me with a independent terminal. I worked there for 4 months, if I had let my truck sit for that time, I would have come out better off
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
I was an owner operator for them, they paid for my physical, but they lied about leasing me on to the company and put me with a independent terminal. I worked there for 4 months, if I had let my truck sit for that time, I would have come out better off
OUCH..... yeah, I am based out of the Trans Tech terminal in Columbus, OH but I am leased to the company, not the terminal (at least I think i am?? LOL)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Update: I've had an interview with JB Hunt. I would be driving a straight truck with an A frame rack on top loaded with glass. 1-5 stops a day home every night & every weekend, They took over the transportation of a local company. They said that a lot of carriers are doing that nowadays. I met him at the plant where I would drive to every day,30 min from the house.(full benefits package, nice pay)

Then Im still waiting on an OTR company to get a truck ready, he said it wasn't a matter of if he will call but when, he said I should hear from him by Wed.
(home weekends, benefits, good pay)

another companies Im considering is USA Truck, a few years back I wouldn't have ever considered it, but I hear good things now a days and see better equipment being ran. (no insurance for the first full year, decent pay though)

Getting my foot in the door is key right now, so any company is looking good till I get another 6 month OTR.