User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Coming back after a 2+ year layoff.

A refresher course is useful for some and may not be for others after having a 2+ year layoff from trucking. In fact I've just subscribed to this site to relay a recent experience I've had. I have been out of trucking since April 2008 (Millis Transfer) and applied at a smaller local company (20 tankers/Kenworth T800's) last Tuesday. I spoke with the owner and he said "let's go for a test drive". Needless to say, I was spittin' bricks and told him I'd probably be a little rusty. He said "Don't worry. I've been trucking all my life and you never forget it."

I got behind the wheel and dammit it was a 13 speed trans. I've done 10 speeds, T2's and T6's, but haven't touched a 13 speed since I got my CDL. It's got a twin splitter/double splitter, heck I'm not even sure what the SOB is called but it was freakin' me out. I quickly calmed myself down and tried to show the owner that I was comfortable in the rig.

I started the engine, threw her into second (has anyone ever used first gear?) and started to head out of the terminal. I figured I'd give it my best shot by progressive shifting (shift at 1100 rpms instead of 1700). It worked. Smooth as a baby's behind right up to the terminal exit. But my biggest concern was still in front of me on the road. Downshifting.

I pulled out on the road and headed into town. I wasn't nearly as smooth shifting on the road as I was in the terminal lot. Each gear engaged with a slight "kachunk". It wasn't bad although I'd have been embarrassed if I hadn't had such a long layoff.

The owner is sitting in the passenger seat and being very supportive. I momentarily ignore him and concentrate on downshifting as we reach town. 35 mph speed limit ahead. I hit the brakes and wait for my rpm's to slow down to 1100. I'm embarrassed that I actually have to look at the Tach and can't sense the engine via telepathy. I rev her up to 1700 and downshift perfectly. Total dumb luck.

I pulled up to the stop light ready to make a left hand turn. It's red and I'm waiting. Well, then some friggin' trucking dude stops a good 10 feet into the intersection and I've got to get around him. He should know better. I swing the tanker as wide as possible and clear the truck by two feet. It's been a long time since I've had to judge distance through a curved mirror.

We head through town and there are kids everywhere and one runs across the street in front of me. I remained calm and kept my eyes open for anything that moves.

After getting through town I made another left and headed back to the terminal. It was a narrow winding road but at that point I had regained my confidence. The owner was yawning and I told him that if my driving was boring him then that was a good thing. If he was white knuckled and excited I'd be concerned.

We then made a right hand turn into the terminal and I tried to downshift by skipping a gear and totally screwed up. The 13 speed had finally bitten me by the ... and I had no choice but to stop the truck completely and start over again in 2nd gear.

I pulled her into the lot and swung wide to get her into position to back her up into a narrow spot between two other trucks. I sorta got it OK but had to do a little blindsiding backing up because I had swung too wide. I also wasn't sure at first as to what I should be looking at when I was backing up a tanker (I always drove van). I soon realized I should concentrate on the fenders and managed to slide her into the spot. Not perfect, but kinda OK.

I was pleased with myself that I could somewhat drive truck after 2+ years on the scrap heap but I still apologized to the owner for my miscues and thanked him for the opportunity to drive again. He said I did great and that half the guys he's tested after a 2+ year layoff couldn't get the truck out of the parking lot. I was on cloud 9.

I think I've got the job (Will know on Monday) but I want to address the issue of refresher courses. I almost signed up for one but for me it would have been a waste of money. I'm rusty but after a few days out on the road I'm confident I'll be back in trucker shape. I think I'm lucky.

If you've been out of the business for a while and want to get back into it I'd suggest finding a small company or an O/O that'll let you have a test drive to see how much rust you've gotten. Trucking is the most underestimated job on the planet. 97% of the worlds population can't do it.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Good for you!! hope you got the job, sounds like ya do.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Rookie

It's looking like I may actually get a job. The owner is in the process of buying a few new Kenworths and when he does I'm back in the driver's seat. Good news and I'm a happy camper with fingers crossed.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey, good luck man. June 2008 here, and I'm also in the process of going back. I guess we both figure it's safe to come out of the woods.

I'm getting the sense that you're right about 97% of the world's population not being able to do this. I've been trying several other things since I hung it up, and the most refreshing thing about turning my eye back to driving is that finally I'm trying to market some skills that are actually in some kind of demand.

Not huge demand like it used to be, but there's still demand out there. I'm glad I kept my CDL.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Congrats! What you find out after being out of the truck and off the road for awhile is companies are interested in your past experience. You fill out their dozen pages of application and their insurance company turns you down. It isn't the trucking companies that run the trucking industry, it's the insurance companies who have the last word whether you actually get hired or not regardless of how long you've been out of the truck or how much experience you have.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Rookie

Well, the owner hired a younger driver that didn't work out. I took my drug test today and start driving tomorrow. Perseverance can actually work. Life is good again.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good luck to you, Frosty1.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats & good luck, Frosty
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Took my test-drive with Western Express last Monday after being out of the seat for about the same amount of time.
A regular-10, scared for a bit, but no stalls and managed to pull it through the tight triangulation of those South Fontana streets with the rush hour traffic.

As the O/P originally stated, a few days or so over the road and it'll come right back into you.
Now I just have to find out when I'm getting my trainer for my 1-3 week eval period.:roll:
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Rookie