User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need help finding work

Looking to get back into driving long haul truck. Have a few problems no recent experiance, my last expearance was Febuary of 07 to May of 08. I was let go from that job after recieving four tickets and my license was suspended for thirty days, May 21, 2008 to June 20, 2008. Three things holding me back from getting a job 1) no recent experience 2)thirty day suspention 3) being fired from my last truck driving job. Willing to work for just about any body just to get my foot back in the door. Any sugestions or advice would be greatly apreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If this is a serious post the main problem you are having are the tickets. There are few, if any, carriers who will hire anyone with 4 tickets, especially within such a short time. Many have begun to reduce the number of acceptable moving violations to only 2 within 3 years. Carriers and insurance companies will go back three years. You didn't mention what the violations were, but if your license was suspended then it was likely serious or you blew the tickets off and failed to ether pay them or show up at court. The fact that you have not had any driving experience for a couple of years may also be hurting you, but some carriers will let that slide as long as you have had at least a year of experience within the last 3 years. Some won't. It may be necessary for you to take a driving course or at least a refresher course to get past the lack of recent experience. If you have only had a few months experience then you will in all probability need to take a refresher course. If that is all the experience you have had I would not even waste my money until the tickets drop off.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Board Regular
Default Gman is an amazign font of knowledge

especially for an oo who whos done his own thing for years.

From what ive seen over the years the big things are this:
What are the 4 tickets for
Why were you fired
You'll probably need to take a refresher course. Which the company may front if you have a good driving record.

4 tickets. Were they in a CV? If you got 4 tickets in a cv close together and they were serious you might be screwed for a couple more years (imho). It mostly the insurance but companies dont want to risk their truck and paying out $$$$$$ when you run over someone. If they were 4 tickets for 62 in a 55 in ohio they might roll their eyes and be fine with it. If you crunched someones car, hauled ass at 80mph in a 55 through chicago etc .. well
Fired: IMHO this is the BIG one. If it was because of the tickets fine. If it was something else no good company is going to hire you. Ever. You can scrounge the bottom of the barrel or an oo whos desperate maybe. Companies want a guy who loves running 2500 to 4000 a week and doesnt whine or run over people.

Ive worked for 2 companies and of course have a lot of friends in trucking and without fail after 2 years you need a refresher course. I know drivers with 20 years and perfect records who took 3 or 4 years off and had to.