User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Retired Old Guy...go back to work??

I'm 68, retired 8years ago and haven't worked since. Kinda bored now and would like to go OTR for a few years. Don't need the $$ but need something challenging to do: drove a tanker for 6months 10years ago and liked it. I graduated CDL school a year ago with CDL (HazMat and Tanker endorsements) but the economy was dead plus I was told that folks who haven't worked in a long while are not hired. Is there any hope for me??
Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is an excess of drivers on the market, but as long as you can pass the physical there is hope. While your age may be a drawback with some carriers, it could also be an asset for others. Your main problem is that you haven't driven since you went through school and got your CDL. Most carriers want to see some experience shortly after graduating school. It may be necessary to take a refresher course in order to get your foot in the door. On the other hand, I would check with some of the training carriers such as Swift, Millis, CRST, Covenant or Roehl. They may hire you with the provision that you go with a trainer for a few weeks before putting you in a truck by yourself. It may be difficult for smaller carriers to hire you due to insurance restrictions. Many require 2 years experience before they can get you covered. Some of the major carriers self insure so that is not as much of a factor with them. It may be necessary for you to do some leg work in order to get started. As long as you have a clean MVR and criminal history you should find someone who will give you a chance.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Rookie
Thumbs up Thanks GMAN !!

I'm planning to re-take the entire course soon (9weeks) and am now going to Doctors to get my eyes and ears tested and certified by them, not some 18year old twinkie in Dr No's office ( they don't administer the test properly) and printed Schneider's physical requirements test and simulated it in the gym I go to. I want to be assured of no physical problems after graduating (again). No tickets in 10years and never any legal problems. CRST wouldn't hire me last year because it had been too long since I worked. Also plan to move to Houston after graduation where there are lots of jobs available...that should help too! Have a great day!!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Board Icon

Warren, you don't say where you live. This is just something for you to consider.

1) You sound like you enjoyed tankers, but (not knowing anything about it,) I suspect that many companies might consider your age a drawback with such "explosive" cargo.

2) But, if you just want to drive... Many companies that haul reefers may have a situation similar to the one I was in for my first gig.

We hauled beer to the west coast, and then brought produce back to OUR yard on the East coast. THEN..... a "local" driver took the load up to foodstore distribution centers / warehouses in the D.C , Baltimore, Philly area. That's a full day each way (in some cases,) and they USUALLY deadheaded back. That WOULD be considered OTR experience for FUTURE applications. (a year of that and you could go wherever you pleased.)

MANY of these drivers were "older" gentlemen. MANY of these companies (smaller ones) would hire someone with your experience and especially with the recent "re-training."

3) One more thing. I don't recall HOW I found them on the internet, but there are "agents".... what some would call "headhunters" that you could talk to. THEY have hundreds of client companies and they MIGHT could help "place" you in just the right situation. [I MIGHT can find my links, if you're interested.]

Also.... I would get the physical and eye exams done BEFORE even thinking about another "entire course." I would even do some calling and researching for jobs first. You've already spent alot. I wouldn't spend it AGAIN without some good prospects.

Good luck.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts here. I appreciate it. Have visited the eye doctor and had a hearing test done and am ready for those parts of the DOT physical. Uncle Sugar will pay for the course. The course should start in a couple of weeks.