User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A few questions about Swift

I can just feel the cringe upon people reading that title. So after weighing a bunch of options and determining that I may have to go the route of train-work-paythemback. I know they have a reputation, whether it be bad drivers...accidents...or just being seen as a racket. Which is where my questions stem from.

So to the Swift drivers out there that have been through training and are otr solo:

Can you get it financed without having to pay up front?

The site says you need to have the permit before showing up...How do I get the actual permit...study the handbook and go to a local dmv and take a computer test?

How much does room and board cost while living there during training and is there a way to pay for that? Chances are if I needed to get the training financed..that should be a clue that I don't have money falling out of my behind...and can't afford a 2 week hotel vacation.

Do the DOT physical and drug test need to be acomplished before going there?

I had spotty job history for a while humping lousy full time but flexible schedule jobs in order to go to school..I got a 2 year degree in computer repair and networking. My last one I was at after getting my degree lasted almost 2 years though. But in rural east Tennessee the computer jobs are nonexistent. So will that early part of my job history effect getting hired? We're talking about 3 to 4 years ago.?

I read that inverters aren't allowed in the truck...how do you guys keep from burning up in the summer and freezing your nuggets off in the winter?

I used to tarp flatbeds part time and even though it was strenuous sometimes (had to do about 70-90 a day manually...no forklift butterfly help...and from being around trucks in the military, I've always had an appreciation for what you guys do.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Since i'm a Swift OTR solo driver, whos been thru their academy, almost 2 yrs ago...i can only tell you what i've been thru, and what i know you can and cannot do. First off, when it comes to people giving you crap about who you drive for...you just ignore them. Like just tonight, i made 2-3 laps around the truck stop parking lot, and everyone was hollering at me giving me chit. I just turned the radio off, and did my thing. so as far as your questions.....here we go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL01 View Post
Can you get it financed without having to pay up front?
I went thru the school in Lewiston, ID. My recruiter told me what i needed to take with me, after doing a backround check on me and checking out my driving record. you were to take with you a $150 "sitting fee", that comes off your total of $3,900. (keep in mind this was back in Aug. of 2008 so little things might have changed by now) After you get off your mentor's truck and go solo, and start bringing in your own check, that is when you'll start paying back your tuition at a rate of $75 a week. for 52 weeks. Now at the same time, they reimburse you half that for 104 weeks. AS LONG AS YOU STAY A COMPANY DRIVER. the moment you become a lease operator, you lose your half they repay you, and you then owe the full ammount. stay with them for a year, and you dont owe a dime. Stay with them 2 yrs, and your schooling was free.

Quote:
The site says you need to have the permit before showing up...How do I get the actual permit...study the handbook and go to a local dmv and take a computer test?
I didnt go to the school with anything. In Lewiston, we first had to surrender our orig. state license, and become residents of idaho....getting your basic drivers license. Then spent 4-5 days studying for your permit. go back and test for the CDL permit. Fail one of the 3 sections, and you gotta go back a couple days later and retest it. Then after you complete all the mandatory hours, and pass the state test, you go back to get your official Class A CDL.

Quote:
How much does room and board cost while living there during training and is there a way to pay for that? Chances are if I needed to get the training financed..that should be a clue that I don't have money falling out of my behind...and can't afford a 2 week hotel vacation.
when i attended lewiston, ID., the hotel was paid for, but you paid for your meals. However i do think that has changed, but you get a reduced rate....again atleast in lewiston. training was for 3 weeks....1 week each in the classroom, range and road. Your recruiter (if they're good) should tell you exactly what you need, and how much rooms cost. if not...you can ask for the phone number for the academy so u can get the ph. #'s for the motels they put you up at to get room rates.

Quote:
Do the DOT physical and drug test need to be acomplished before going there?
i think everything is done there at the school. DOT physical and drug tests are done on day 1. paid for by the academy

Quote:
I had spotty job history for a while humping lousy full time but flexible schedule jobs in order to go to school..I got a 2 year degree in computer repair and networking. My last one I was at after getting my degree lasted almost 2 years though. But in rural east Tennessee the computer jobs are nonexistent. So will that early part of my job history effect getting hired? We're talking about 3 to 4 years ago.?
doubt it. unless you were fired for stabbing your supervisor in the face because he kept asking you to go out and buy toner, you should be fine. be up front with your recruiter. any felonys, arrests, DUIs, whatever. fess up to it. cause if you DON'T, they'll look at that like you're ready to start hiding information....whats to say you run over a curb and take out a mailbox and telephone pole and drive off like nothing happened? Just be honest. Showing you're not, will keep you from being accepted/hired faster than having a DUI 20 yrs ago.

Quote:
I read that inverters aren't allowed in the truck...how do you guys keep from burning up in the summer and freezing your nuggets off in the winter?
I was told in class that the inverters that you have to hard-wire onto your truck batteries are illegal, and if found in your truck is automatic termination. What i was told we COULD have, were any that plugged into your cigarette outlet. I've got 1-100w inverter and a 400w. both plug into my cigarette outlet. When it comes down to it...if the weather prevents me from getting quality sleep, i idle the truck. last night, it was in the low 70s...low humidity, so i popped in my window screens, set up my two fans to circulate the air, and i was happy as a clam. Tonight..i'm sitting in Altoona, IA where its 85 deg. and about 1000% humidity. I'm not even thinking about whether to idle or not...i've been idling for the past 2 hrs....HAHAHA. It comes down to safety. If they're going to tell me i cannot idle in this condition, i'll simply tell them i wont have the proper rest, and will be an unsafe driver on the road cause i had to wake up every hour and wipe the sweat from myself along with having to sleep in my own sweat. so its not even an issue. they'll raise a fit about it, but guess what....its not their butt in that drivers seat. i've never had an issue. some weeks ill have 3% idle...and others ill have 30%. In the winter, i seldom ever go over 5% cause i have a bunk heater.

hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Rookie

That was a lot of great info. thank you very very much.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Rookie

I recieved an online "packet" that detailed some of the requirements for Swift training schools. According to the info I recieved, you do NOT need the $150 sitting fee for Lewiston. Only San Antonio and PHX required that. Also, you do need both DOT med card and CDL permit(combination, air brakes endorsements) in hand before attending driver academy. Hope that helps.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 PM

I see you live in Tn.If you want flats give Maverick a call.They train.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Rookie

I called them once and they said they didn't train cdl..just train flatbed handling for people that already have one..*shrugs*. They were one of the first ones I called...I'd eventually like to get with them, TMC, or McElroy out of Bama.

As for the permit, since the guy up there said you DID have to have one before showing up at Swift..how do you get it? Can I go in where I update my 4 wheel license and take it there? Or do I need to find a special place.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Good luck with your plans. I didn't go to driving school. I chose to do it on my own. I work for a company that allows me to do that. They have the vehicles so I'm fortunate there. If you aren't quite as lucky there are other ways, such as Home
This particular company is California based, but they may have others like it. When you consider the options this is a much more affordable method. It cost me 64.00 for the permit at the DMV and 40.00 to be molested by the doctor. (seriously who does not use gloves to check for a hernia??!?) 104.00 to get a CDL. I didn't get any extra endorsements but I will before I go to a different company or over the road.

As far as where to get the CDL. In California it's any DMV location. It's exactly like taking the permit test for your car. You pay the money and they give you the tests. When you pass they give you a permit that lets you train with any commercially licensed driver.
Buena Suerta.

Last edited by Trippy Hippy; 06-20-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy Hippy View Post
Good luck with your plans. I didn't go to driving school. I chose to do it on my own. I work for a company that allows me to do that. They have the vehicles so I'm fortunate there. If you aren't quite as lucky there are other ways, such as Home
This particular company is California based, but they may have others like it. When you consider the options this is a much more affordable method. It cost me 64.00 for the permit at the DMV and 40.00 to be molested by the doctor. (seriously who does not use gloves to check for a hernia??!?) 104.00 to get a CDL. I didn't get any extra endorsements but I will before I go to a different company or over the road.

As far as where to get the CDL. In California it's any DMV location. It's exactly like taking the permit test for your car. You pay the money and they give you the tests. When you pass they give you a permit that lets you train with any commercially licensed driver.
Buena Suerta.
And, unfortunately, it also gets to be very hard to find a job when so many companies require an accredited school behind you, or (x) number of years experience.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I called them once and they said they didn't train cdl..just train flatbed handling for people that already have one..*shrugs*. They were one of the first ones I called...I'd eventually like to get with them, TMC, or McElroy out of Bama.

As for the permit, since the guy up there said you DID have to have one before showing up at Swift..how do you get it? Can I go in where I update my 4 wheel license and take it there? Or do I need to find a special place.
How you get the permit: you go to a DMV office and tell them you want a CDL. They'll give you a book.
Take it home. Study it, really study it. When you feel ready, go back to the DMV office and tell them you want to take the tests for CDL/air brakes/doubles-triples. They will give you written tests (or they may be on a computer screen). The tests are multiple choice. You'll take one test for basic CDL. One test for air brakes. One test for doubles/triples. Again, these are written/computer-screen tests--there is no driving test for the permit. You pass=you have the permit. Note: "the book" may be online.

Any doctor or medical office or "occupational medicine" facility can give you a physical: it will be superficial and involve a drug screen (you pee in a cup--how easy is that?). If you need to have proof of having passed a physical/drug screen before you go to DMV to take the tests, get the medical stuff out of the way first.

So. Having passed the superficial physical exam and the DMV written/computer tests and having written proof of same, you now go to Swift (or wherever). There's still many hoops to jump through, but you're on your way.

Someone may want to chime in about current HAZMAT and loads-into-Canada info.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Rookie

Also, if you go to Swift website and get the # for recruiting, the recruiter will email you info and a link to a Swift study guide for obtaining your CDL permit.