User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default questions from a wannabe.

I used to drive back in the military..but that has been about 6 years ago driving a cab over with APU. So I'm basically starting over. The last backing I did was with a yard truck. I have a job now working for a school system, but money is always coming up as to whether they hold on to people or not. I'm not an educator..basically a grunt that sets up equipment for proms and graduations and fixes teachers computers for them on occasion. It's an 'OK' gig..I only make about 15 an hour. I do get weekends off, but when you're living paycheck to paycheck trying to live on 200.00 left in the bank...the weekends hardly matter lol. Plus I'm very tired working around teachers...they send to see everything in a world of theory and not practicality..in other words, they wonder why things up and break and then wonder why you haven't fixed it 2 days before it broke.

I guess that's why I like driving more than anything I've ever done..yeah you got to phone people and talk to people at the shipping windows..but those times when its just you and no one else...I live for that.

I was planning on attending a local driving school in Sevierville, TN and then hope to get picked up by one of the several companies that come out there each week recruiting..I secretly love skateboards..don't mind tarping..so TMC, McElroy, etc. are some of the ones I've had my eye on.

My questions are:
1. Do most companies try to pressure you into breaking log hours in order to get a load somewhere? I want to do this, but I don't want to break the law doing it.

2. I'll be 100% truthfull...I'm built like a football player 6', 280lbs...I used to weight lift but thats been a few years ago. I have passed physicals before..but do DOT physicals instantly see weight as a no-go?

3. How exactly do these companies get you home when it comes time to do so? Do they to hook you up with a load going back that way or do you just stop and drive deadhead back home and start all over?

4. Are there any advantages to finding a trucking company to work for that is based out of your home state?

Sorry for the epic life story/long post..thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:46 PM

Welcome TNVOL01.

I'm guessing that you are looking at over the road driving.

Quote:
My questions are:
1. Do most companies try to pressure you into breaking log hours in order to get a load somewhere? I want to do this, but I don't want to break the law doing it.

2. I'll be 100% truthfull...I'm built like a football player 6', 280lbs...I used to weight lift but thats been a few years ago. I have passed physicals before..but do DOT physicals instantly see weight as a no-go?

3. How exactly do these companies get you home when it comes time to do so? Do they to hook you up with a load going back that way or do you just stop and drive deadhead back home and start all over?

4. Are there any advantages to finding a trucking company to work for that is based out of your home state?
1. I would say that most companies today are very straight forward when it comes to the log book especially if they have Qualcom. There was a time when running over on the log was pushed on the drivers but now the company is as responsible as the driver so it's not too common anymore.

2. The DOT physical pretty much checks to see if you can see and hear and see if your breathing. It's not a very thorough physical. Some companies have additional physical tests they will have you do to check your stamina but most just go by the physical.

3. That depends on the company. If they have freight going where you live, they will try to get you there but some of the smaller companies just don't have the freight available so sometimes they just can't make it happen.

4. The biggest advantage in working for a company that is based close to home is that they will get you home more often just because they need you there to handle their outbound freight which should be plentiful. The disadvantage is that just about the time you walk in the door they will be calling you to go back out again because they have more outbound freight then inbound freight so they are always short drivers near the terminal.

If you really just like driving and don't care if your OTR or not, check into local dirt work. It usually pays fairly well and your home every night.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

dirt work? like hauling dump trucks at construction sites? sorry, wish i could claim i'm playing dumb on this one.....lol
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
dirt work? like hauling dump trucks at construction sites? sorry, wish i could claim i'm playing dumb on this one.....lol
Yup. Dirt work would be hauling dirt, end dump, belly dump, side dump and dump trucks.

I've made a lot of money hauling dirt.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Rookie

normally I'd love to do that..however all I have is a normal license..the one from the military is worthless. I'd have to go to a school or truck company and do the payyouback crap. Either way I'd probably need back out there a year or so otr or regional before I can grab anything local. That's why I was looking at skates..they're usually at least home a couple a days each week. At least the ones I know.

I'm basically starting fresh..used to drive for the Air Force hauling bombs. But that was a long time ago and I'm sure I need the practice (backing, etc.)

That's good to hear on the DOT physical. I do all of those things lol.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
Yup. Dirt work would be hauling dirt, end dump, belly dump, side dump and dump trucks.

I've made a lot of money hauling dirt.

i wouldnt mind doing that. As long as it ment i was home every night. Where would be the first place i'd start looking?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL01 View Post
I used to drive back in the military..but that has been about 6 years ago driving a cab over with APU. So I'm basically starting over. The last backing I did was with a yard truck. I have a job now working for a school system, but money is always coming up as to whether they hold on to people or not. I'm not an educator..basically a grunt that sets up equipment for proms and graduations and fixes teachers computers for them on occasion. It's an 'OK' gig..I only make about 15 an hour. I do get weekends off, but when you're living paycheck to paycheck trying to live on 200.00 left in the bank...the weekends hardly matter lol. Plus I'm very tired working around teachers...they send to see everything in a world of theory and not practicality..in other words, they wonder why things up and break and then wonder why you haven't fixed it 2 days before it broke.

I guess that's why I like driving more than anything I've ever done..yeah you got to phone people and talk to people at the shipping windows..but those times when its just you and no one else...I live for that.

I was planning on attending a local driving school in Sevierville, TN and then hope to get picked up by one of the several companies that come out there each week recruiting..I secretly love skateboards..don't mind tarping..so TMC, McElroy, etc. are some of the ones I've had my eye on.

My questions are:

Most of the better carriers are not going to push you to drive illegally. As was mentioned, the liability is too great should something go wrong or you are involved in an accident. In any case, it is ultimately your decision as to whether you have the hours to run or not.

Right now it may not be a problem, but there are plans in the works to include your bmi or body mass index when doing a DOT physical. It was mentioned at one time to check the driver's neck size. Those who are found to have too high a bmi must take a sleep apnea test, at their own expense, before they can be approved to drive. If this is something you want to pursue I would suggest you see if you can get your weight down. A time could come where you will not be able to drive if your bmi or weight is too high. There are some new rules coming down the pike in the next year or so.

Most carriers will get drivers home when needed. Most otr carriers try to get drivers home every 2-3 weeks. A few may get drivers home every week. They usually either find a load that delivers near your home or one that runs through your house. Companies don't like to deadhead their trucks. If you find a carrier based near your home or one that has a nearby terminal you may be able to park your vehicle at the terminal and drive your personal vehicle to the house.

Some carriers do their own maintenance. That requires them to get their trucks home at specific intervals. Carriers like to check their equipment every now and then to make sure that it is being properly taken care of by the driver.

Sorry for the epic life story/long post..thanks in advance.
You don't necessarily need to work for a local carrier in order to get back home on a regular basis. There are several carriers based in Knoxville that might work for you. Crete, Averitt, Teton, Big G Express are a few carriers who have terminals in or near Knoxville. I think all of those require some previous driving experience. You live in a good freight area so I don't think that you will have a difficult time getting home. I-40 and I-75 are both very good freight lanes.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Living where you do and wanting to try flatbeds.Give Maverick a call.They are out of Little Rock and they get you home on weekends.They have an exceptional securement class.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i wouldnt mind doing that. As long as it ment i was home every night. Where would be the first place i'd start looking?
Just look for trucks hauling dirt and call the company who's name is on the door. I would concentrate on fleet owners or dirt contractors. Wherever there is a large road job or large site excavation you could check with the general contractor to see who is doing the dirt hauling.

In my case, I was hauling sand and rock in to a cement plant for the last few years I drove. It was nice steady work and usually started early in the morning so I was off by 3:00 in the afternoon.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Board Regular

You say you "only" make 15 bucks an hour, or I guess about 600 a week. I don't know what your expectations as far as pay are, but as a beginner, that is about what you will make a week, while gone from home, no time off to speak of, while living on the road at twice the cost of living at home. Think long and hard it that is what you want to do.