User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltVoyager View Post
They had a clause in their hiring paperwork that said if you have an accident with damages that exceed $5k, you "can" be terminated. Sure enough, my only real accident and it was almost $8k from what they told me.

The 2 companies I talked with that said they couldn't hire me made no differentiation between reasons for termination at the prior job. Their only take on it was whether I'd been terminated. PERIOD. I guess it wouldn't matter if I got fired for flipping the company owner off and mooned his wife. Terminated is terminated, all the same. The two companies were JBH and CRST.

The accident was a rear-end on a 16-y.o. unlicensed driver who suddenly remembered that THIS is where she was supposed to turn. 60 MPH, empty trailer (no downforce on the trailer tandems for better braking) going through Ruidoso, NM to pick up a load in Clovis from El Paso.
Sitting in the same boat right now, but luckily I'm working in some capacity.
CRST was who I originally went with and they gave me the whole, "5 yrs must pass from the date of accident."
Then there were a few other companies like Knight, Stevens, FFE, Werner,. etc that gave me the "3 yr" rule.

Right now I'm coming up on the 3rd accident(a rollover that was caused by another rig in UT) that will be hitting the 3rd yr mark in October.
By then, my accident history should be a clean slate from 10/07 to 10/10.
I'm putting in apps, but I'll get more aggressive about it come then(actually going down to terminal and such for a face2face).
Weird thing is the fact that it's been almost three years and no record of the rollover has shown up on DMV H6 printout, but can't say the same about USIS, Driverfacts.,etc
If that doesn't work, then that other mentioned option of ND or WY in the energy fields is totally on my exit plan(and many others getting fed up with this state).

What I'm trying to say is put in applications as you must, but ultimately it's going to be a waiting game if you really want to get back in.
Another thing you could do is go and get certified in welding and diesel tech at a local college.
Those along with your CDL(if you still have it) will take you places.

As far as fastfood goes, it's only one step away from an orange jumpsuit, stay away from it.(unless you work at In'N'Out where they actually make bank flipping patties.)
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM

Checked on that job working for a great railroad company that's based just south of here. They're needing a railroad laborer/CDL driver. I filled out the application today and then took what amounts to a personality test afterward. They said they'd have to arrange an interview for a later time. This guy owns a boatload of short lines (50 to 60) across the South and when you've got that much track, there's always a section (or bunch of them) that need to be repaired/replaced. He may also have contracts with other lines in the southern region to do their repairs. I expect he needs flatbed, for the rails and ties, and low-boy drivers, for the heavy equipment. Looks like he runs Petes...384's if what I saw at the back of his lot is an indication. And they all looked brand new. I didn't see his jet copter anywhere, but his Learjet85 was sitting out for all to admire.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord View Post
Have you considered leaving a slow employment state and relocating to better prospects like the oil and gas patch states of Wyoming or North Dakota? If employment isn't where you are, go where the jobs are. When trucking companies don't have enought butts for seats, rules loosen. BOL
Yessir, I did consider it. But, I also considered it would be hell trying to find someplace that would rent an apartment to me with no job / guaranteed income, too, if I was to move.

There is no shortage of drivers, regardless of what myths the big companies try to sustain. Qualified, good drivers? Well... maybe. Qualified, good drivers who will drive for peanuts in all conditions and to all places? Um... NO.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltVoyager View Post
They had a clause in their hiring paperwork that said if you have an accident with damages that exceed $5k, you "can" be terminated. Sure enough, my only real accident and it was almost $8k from what they told me.
Your ONLY real accident?!? How many unreal accidents do you have? If there were a number of small accidents and/or load claims, then these could hurt very much.

Also in another message on this thread you state you don't have a current CDL. Why is that? I know that as long as a CDL isn't allow to lapse, then it should only require a written test(s) to renew or even transfer to another state. Oh yes, a current medical certificate too.

You have to be straight up with your postings here if anyone can truly help assist you. Same goes with the next employer.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Rookie

That's an unfortunate situation to be in. Your CDL is your life. That's one reason that I only drive at night. Been hit twice by DUI's but luckily for me one was little damage and the other was in a cone zone with a Chippie near that had a great vantage point of the action. Scared the hell outta me and the Caltrans guys who took off running. :lol:
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Dunno if you can...but my brother in law said there was a company near Lexington who run dump trucks. Said you get paid $100 by the load, etc. (that maybe with your own truck too)....i thought about it....be home nightly....etc...but i wanted something near Indianapolis or somewhere in Iowa.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Dunno if you can...but my brother in law said there was a company near Lexington who run dump trucks. Said you get paid $100 by the load, etc. (that maybe with your own truck too)....i thought about it....be home nightly....etc...but i wanted something near Indianapolis or somewhere in Iowa.

Kevin! Where you been hiding?? You should come around more often!! Seriously! You only get picked on, because we care! Seriously! :thumbsup:

If we didn't care....we wouldn't bother!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
Your ONLY real accident?!? How many unreal accidents do you have? If there were a number of small accidents and/or load claims, then these could hurt very much.

Also in another message on this thread you state you don't have a current CDL. Why is that? I know that as long as a CDL isn't allow to lapse, then it should only require a written test(s) to renew or even transfer to another state. Oh yes, a current medical certificate too.

You have to be straight up with your postings here if anyone can truly help assist you. Same goes with the next employer.
There's accidents and there's incidents. But regardless of what you call them, in the past 3 years I have 1, the one described. That's all that most companies care about anyhow -- 3 years record. Also have 1 ticket that still in in that timeframe -- missed the POE at Orogrande, although I did stop before passing it, as I was advised by the Washington St. trooper at Spokane POE. Didn't help. Still got the New Mex. ticket. I really HATE NM.issedoff:

And yes, the CDL would have lapsed by now, even if I had not turned it in when I came to Kentucky.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Board Regular

I know this is not exactly related to the question, but I wonder why anyone would let their CDL lapse? To save a few bucks? Not worth it, while you may have to go through a refresher course after being out of the truck for so long, at least you are not on the hook again for thousands of bucks to get it back. Just my two cents.