User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Free Bridge Management Training!

Lesson 1. Some bridges are not high enough to accommodate a large commercial vehicle. It may, at times, appear to be convenient to use your truck as a measuring tool but that can get very costly over time. See the following example:

Stuck Whiskey Truck Spills Load on Road | NBC Washington

Extra Credit: Treat all loads of booze as though they were your own. If you don't drink, treat them as though they were mine.

Lesson 2. Some bridges were not designed to accommodate the weight and girth of a large commercial vehicle. Come to think of it, I can't recall that I've ever seen a rustic old covered bridge that was intended to carry a modern big truck. Always consult with your insurance company to confirm your coverage before you cross rustic old covered bridges. See the following example:

Tractor trailer closes historic Lancaster covered bridge - Thursday, May. 27, 2010

Lesson 3. Some bridges have narrow entrances, are accessible only via sharp corners or both. Never use a bridges structural components to "shoe horn" your way onto them. Bridge and trailer repairs can be very expensive. Few municipalities have extra cash to make bridge repairs while they hunt you down and you may be forced to lower your expectations on the selling price of your trailer. See the following example:

Police seek driver of tractor-trailer that damaged Stark Street bridge | OregonLive.com

I hope you find this training helpful. I can think of at least three people who could have benefitted from it. Hopefully, you will, too. Your new or prospective employer thanks you.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Rookie

WOW! some of those stories are a little frightning. but i found this very helpful
Old 05-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
Lesson 1. Some bridges are not high enough to accommodate a large commercial vehicle. It may, at times, appear to be convenient to use your truck as a measuring tool but that can get very costly over time. See the following example:

Stuck Whiskey Truck Spills Load on Road | NBC Washington

Extra Credit: Treat all loads of booze as though they were your own. If you don't drink, treat them as though they were mine.

Lesson 2. Some bridges were not designed to accommodate the weight and girth of a large commercial vehicle. Come to think of it, I can't recall that I've ever seen a rustic old covered bridge that was intended to carry a modern big truck. Always consult with your insurance company to confirm your coverage before you cross rustic old covered bridges. See the following example:

Tractor trailer closes historic Lancaster covered bridge - Thursday, May. 27, 2010

Lesson 3. Some bridges have narrow entrances, are accessible only via sharp corners or both. Never use a bridges structural components to "shoe horn" your way onto them. Bridge and trailer repairs can be very expensive. Few municipalities have extra cash to make bridge repairs while they hunt you down and you may be forced to lower your expectations on the selling price of your trailer. See the following example:

Police seek driver of tractor-trailer that damaged Stark Street bridge | OregonLive.com

I hope you find this training helpful. I can think of at least three people who could have benefitted from it. Hopefully, you will, too. Your new or prospective employer thanks you.
How does a truck driver miss this sign? Oh, there had to be a half dozen warning signs within a mile of this railroad underpass.

Danbury, CT - Google Maps

Danbury, CT - Google Maps

I was making a delivery early this month in Redding, CT. My aunt and uncle live nearby so I park at the Danbury Rest Area where they picked me up. My uncle made it a point to drive me back to their home by going under railroad underpass. I looked very carefully at the bridge and there was many scars from vehicle strikes.

Crazy, huh?!?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Bridge Management

All I care about "bridge management" is to exit as straight as I entered,.... particularly in Winter. BOL
Old 05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Board Icon

That Whiskey truck wasn't RostyC was it? Came outta Maryland..........
Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
That Whiskey truck wasn't RostyC was it? Came outta Maryland..........

It's amazing what a few sips of hooch will do to your height perception.......
Try not to let this get around though please.