User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting the State to pay for CDL training?

I have read on here a few times when talking about CDL training that your state may pay for the CDL training. Are these true statements? If so, how do you do it? Anyone from NC acheive this? I am curious. I paid to go through training and wish I had this info before hand. I have two friends who want to get their CDL but have no money and as a last resort want to go through a Company's school. Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm not certain, but isn't there a program through the Unemployment (UIA), where if you qualify, you can receive up to 5k for job training?
In Michigan, it's called Michigan Works Agency.
They help unemployed people find jobs, and get training if needed.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM

I know a guy from South Carolina that got his paid for. He was receiving unemployment insurance due to losing his job. A lot of states have grants like this. Also if you go to a technical school most if not all are state sponsored schools. They have a person that works there that will inform you of your options. I started technical school but had to drop out due to family issues and financial issues.

Up until I quit, all of my school was being paid with Pell Grants. Just check with the financial aid person at a technical school.

I got my diploma from a trucking company. I think the total bill was $4500 this included a motel and 3 meals a day plus 4 weeks of classroom training. I then had to go with a trainer for another 4 weeks before I was given my own truck. The company that trained me took .02/ per mile from my check until I paid it off.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

I recieved money for CDL training after being laid off from the my tool and die job 2 times from 1998-2004. It is called WIA in Ohio. You may have to jump through a few hula hoops to get it but its there.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Rookie

That's cool! I know my one buddy is on unemployment benefits right now so I will let him know that the state may pay for training. For those who went through a trucking company to get their CDL, did it seem like there was alot of money taken from your paycheck to pay it back? What about the companies that will pay for your training but have to sign a contract? I found out that I have to take a re-fresher course in order to drive for any company because I have a CDL but it has been awhile since I have used it.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Michigan Will pay for your truck driving school. Its part of the no worker left behind act. I wish they would of had that back in 99' when I had to dish out $4000 for my school.