User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Good thing i never considered JB Hunt....

The other day, i get an email from a JB Hunt recruiter that just said "call me". I responded by just saying exactly what i was looking for. Local based in Indianapolis. He returned the message saying that "TRUCK driving is NOT LOCAL", that he had local positions but were filled from best to worst. Just for shatners and giggles, i asked what the starting rate was, how soon could i get into local, how long would i have to be with a "mentor" (again)...all that jazz. He then asks how much experience i have, my zip..etc. I tell him. He gets back with me saying he has jobs in my area (obviously he must not have read i want to get into the Indianapolis area) but take 2 yrs exp. Also says that "when and if" he has a midwest region open, it takes 6 mo exp. and then you are on for 12, home for 2. And told me the starting rate was .31cpm.

I responded with:
Quote:
LOL.....31cpm? I already make .35. and i got crap for starting with swift at .26cpm. sorry, but this isnt going to be happening. I already do the 'out 2 weeks/home 2-3 days" thing.

good luck

Aparently that must have rubbed him the wrong way, cause the next email i got back from him was:

Quote:
Listen Jr., Cents per mile doesn't mean anything if you don't know how
many miles you have.... I don't need luck either. Our stock has gone back
up over $10, better than any trucking company in the U.S. As for it not
working I tried to tell u THAT politely my second email. You're green and
it shows... Last bit I have for you, a real driver is worth his weight in
gold when he has safe miles ran. Not when he is wearing his feelings and
attitude on his sleeve talking on the CB about how many cents a mile he is
making compared to the pay check he brought home. Being able to not kill
a standard and having a year under your belt doesn't make you the king.
Think about an attitude change, cause the way it is I wouldn't even give
you to one of my fleet managers because knowing it all would have you
sitting at home waiting on the worst truck they feel like giving you
instead of running miles. Good Luck and may my 2 cents be worth my time to
write them.
Where did i say anything about spouting off on the CB? or think i was 'better' than him or other drivers with more experience. This recruiter is wearing his feelings on his sleeve if anybody. LOL...what a joke...and this is how JB Hunt recruits drivers? Must be like asking out a girl to the prom, and when she says 'no', he flips out, calls her names, and trashes her car in the driveway. what a baby.

Told him CPM dont mean anything unless you get the miles. why would i work harder and not smarter? why would i want to drive 2900 miles to make $700, when i can drive 2500 mi and make the same? told him to not email me again, or i was going to be calling JB Hunt HQ and show them just how this guy spent the time to 'recruit' drivers. Oh..and it was from a JB Hunt email address, so he was representing the company. his initials are S.P.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Talking

Just read your post and found it interesting. I would say that the recruiter either had you and someone else mixed up, or he was just having a bad day. Either way, sounds like he got alittle testee with ya. They must of changed things around there since I was there, but when I started, I got .37, had great health insurance for the wife and me, was given a 2yr. old truck, had good miles on average,(note the word average) and a good FM that I could talk to anytime I needed.
You know as well as anybody, truck'n is truck'n, you make it what you want. No different than working construction or being a sales rep for some company, your away from home, you live out of a suitcase, you miss things with the family that the "9 to 5" guys don't. No matter how ya slice it, it's still truck'n.

I enjoyed my time with JB...but then I like it when the wife slaps me when I pinch her on the ass!
down the hill
Old 12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Board Regular

not trying to be the d*** here but i agree with the recruiter. on your part kevin a simple "no thank you, not what i am looking for " would have been more than sufficient. but you showed your ass..granted he showed his in return. but you know as well as everyone else here that you had no intention on taking any job that he offered you, so you wasted his time just so you had something to talk about on this board and i assume, as did the recruiter, on the cb. grow up dude. be happy with what you do, whether that is swift or someone else. and maybe quit looking for things to get your panties all in a bunch about.

Last edited by GMAN; 12-11-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Language
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
not trying to be the d*** here but i agree with the recruiter. on your part kevin a simple "no thank you, not what i am looking for " would have been more than sufficient. but you showed your ass..granted he showed his in return. but you know as well as everyone else here that you had no intention on taking any job that he offered you, so you wasted his time just so you had something to talk about on this board and i assume, as did the recruiter, on the cb. grow up dude. be happy with what you do, whether that is swift or someone else. and maybe quit looking for things to get your panties all in a bunch about.
i wouldnt have assumed anything less from you. and once again, you jump to conclusions pretending to know what i was thinkin'. If the offer was right, yeah, i would have took the job, but notice he never did answer the question as to how long it would take to go from OTR to local like i wanted. I was feeling out my options. And the responce i gave him to set him off, wasnt ment as anything but letting him know it would be dumb to take a pay-cut just to drive for someone new.

My 2nd email had the subject "just so we dont waste anybodys time". That was when i asked about driving locally. And going thru all this just to have "something" to post on here, is just plain ignorant. Would be like some kid going up in front of his class for "show and tell" to talk about a toy he got 3 years ago for Christmas...u know...just to have something to talk about.

Last edited by GMAN; 12-11-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Language
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I had a JBHunt recruiter call me yesterday. With my 5 years of OTR, 0 tickets & 0 accidents, he offered me $0.31cpm and the chance to stay out 3-4 weeks at a time.

Was a rough deal to pass up, that's for sure.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Board Icon

I'd have screwed with him also Kev. You asked some legit questions, got legit answers. Had you not responded like a d*** he would have kept emailing you and pestering you to come join JB and eventually you would have responded like a dick to him. Ought to go ahead and send JB what he said, no reason for him to respond with a straight out personal attack. Go ahead and hint at possibly getting a lawyer to go after the whole company for that slanderish attack.

I had a recruiter get mad a year ago when I told him I was just checking things out and wasn't looking to go OTR quite yet unless my company went completely out of business. He got all pissy with me and started to get personal so I stopped him and told him to KMA then hung up. Another recruiter there who knew I had sent in an application called to see if I had talked to anyone yet then apologized after I told them what happened and completely understood why I was no longer interested in them. No reason for that crap when your trying to get drivers to join your company.

Last edited by GMAN; 12-11-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Language
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 PM

I applied with J B Hunt,when they called they said they had openings in my area,when I called the recruiter back she said the exact opposite.....maybe they get bored and just want to talk.:rofl:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
I'd have screwed with him also Kev. You asked some legit questions, got legit answers. Had you not responded like a d*** he would have kept emailing you and pestering you to come join JB and eventually you would have responded like a dick to him. Ought to go ahead and send JB what he said, no reason for him to respond with a straight out personal attack. Go ahead and hint at possibly getting a lawyer to go after the whole company for that slanderish attack.

I had a recruiter get mad a year ago when I told him I was just checking things out and wasn't looking to go OTR quite yet unless my company went completely out of business. He got all pissy with me and started to get personal so I stopped him and told him to KMA then hung up. Another recruiter there who knew I had sent in an application called to see if I had talked to anyone yet then apologized after I told them what happened and completely understood why I was no longer interested in them. No reason for that crap when your trying to get drivers to join your company.
Yeah, maybe i should figure out a way to name David Letterman in the suit, and go after him for $110 million too? HAHAHA. Haven't heard from him since then. Whats funny, is that he said something about how their stock is up to $10 like that was to impress me or something, or to prove that being above $10/stock means they are the best company in the country. Oh well....just found out that Swift has shuttle drivers based out of Indianapolis. Depending on if there is room to add another driver, i'll get to stay with Swift, move to Indianapolis and buy that house. But i would have to clean out my current truck for a daycab. But from the sounds of it, i'd be home everyday. ;-)
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Check at Celadon - they're based out of Indy. Not sure if they have local drivers or not - honestly can't remember.