User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default For Okies - Getting Hazmat?

Anyone know offhand if I need to get my TSA check done before going to license station to take the written test to get the hazmat endorsement? I dropped mine back when I started driving flats, so I've not gone through the new TSA screening yet. The DPS website doesn't have crap for info on it, and I'm thinking the stations are closed due to Thanksgiving because no one is answering the phone
Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl View Post
Anyone know offhand if I need to get my TSA check done before going to license station to take the written test to get the hazmat endorsement? I dropped mine back when I started driving flats, so I've not gone through the new TSA screening yet. The DPS website doesn't have crap for info on it, and I'm thinking the stations are closed due to Thanksgiving because no one is answering the phone
all you need to know is here
https://hazprints.tsa.dhs.gov/Public/

YES, you have to do the check first, then they notify the license place and also send you a paper to give them, you cant even take the test until this is done
Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks fredog - that was my suspicion, just didn't want to do something bass-ackwards and end up wasting time. I am thankful they have the ability to get the paperwork done online, I'll swing by Monday and get the fingerprinting done.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=tndieselgrl;468825]Anyone know offhand if I need to get my TSA check done before going to license station to take the written test to get the hazmat endorsement?

i reinstated my haz mat endorsement in august. took a day off and drove an hour and a half to bellevue to apply for background check and get finger printed. no one was there and it took 20 minutes and almost 100$. waited 3 weeks? for letter saying i passed back ground check. then i took a day off and took the hazmat test. hazmat test was 50 something plus 20$ for something else and i was there when they opened so no waiting.
last week i took a day off and drove an hour and 15 minutes to fife for twic card. no one was there and it took 20 minutes also and 132$. i neglected to tell her i just had the hazmat investigation so i got to make another trip over there to pick up that twic card.
these hard times bring out the worst in people. seniority is not as good as *ss kissing and backstabbing so i am looking out for #1 and getting as qualified as possible should an opportunity arise
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I'm glad I don't live in Washington now....it's a bit cheaper to get it down here in Oklahoma. The $89 and change for the TSA background check plus $35 at the DMV to take the test and get the new license. I've got to get my fingerprinting done Monday, I've already submitted for the paperwork check and paid my fee.

I'm with you, even if I end up at an outfit that doesn't "require" the hazmat and TWIC, I'm still going to make sure I've got both credentials just in case. It's a little investment that might just pay off in the end.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'm with you, even if I end up at an outfit that doesn't "require" the hazmat and TWIC, I'm still going to make sure I've got both credentials just in case. It's a little investment that might just pay off in the end.
In my opinion, it's mostly a waste of time/money.
Most reputable companies that require the hazmat endorsement will pay you to get the X endorsement + fingerprinting and pay you for the extra BS involved in hauling that stuff around.
If not, why bother?
If the carrier hauls irregular spot hazmat freight, why take the extra risk involved in pulling a placarded wagon for no extra money?
So that you can be the first truck pulled in at the scales for an inspection?
Then you have to route yourself around tunnels, bridges, and towns etc (usually for no extra mileage pay).
If there's a spill because some forklift jockey went flying into your wagon on a multi-stop load and stabbed a drum....that's BIG FINES if that stuff even goes NEAR a river or stream.
Either way, you must by law stop and call CHEMTREC for a cleanup.
Not to mention the extra risk involved in pulling Flammable 3, etc around if you're involved in an accident.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
Most reputable companies that require the hazmat endorsement will pay you to get the X endorsement + fingerprinting and pay you for the extra BS involved in hauling that stuff around.
If not, why bother?
I understand where you're coming from on this, in fact it was my attitude for the longest time. Fact is though, jobs are getting harder to come by, and honestly? I don't want to waste my time off with my little one and husband so I can wait in a six hour line at one of the two license stations in the area that allows for CDL testing and endorsement modification. Time is money and all that, I'd rather have everything squared away. Generally I'm with you - if you want me to have it, then pay me to get it and I will. Now? Now I'll get it so I can put it on my application and just maybe I'll get a job I wouldn't have because the carrier doesn't have to wait that extra 3wks-3 months before I get around to getting it. Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote=homer;469076]
Quote:
Anyone know offhand if I need to get my TSA check done before going to license station to take the written test to get the hazmat endorsement?

i reinstated my haz mat endorsement in august. took a day off and drove an hour and a half to bellevue to apply for background check and get finger printed. no one was there and it took 20 minutes and almost 100$. waited 3 weeks? for letter saying i passed back ground check. then i took a day off and took the hazmat test. hazmat test was 50 something plus 20$ for something else and i was there when they opened so no waiting.
last week i took a day off and drove an hour and 15 minutes to fife for twic card. no one was there and it took 20 minutes also and 132$. i neglected to tell her i just had the hazmat investigation so i got to make another trip over there to pick up that twic card.
these hard times bring out the worst in people. seniority is not as good as *ss kissing and backstabbing so i am looking out for #1 and getting as qualified as possible should an opportunity arise
you still have to make 2 trips even if you just had hazmat check, they do another one, and the discount for twic if you have hazmat is bogus because if you take it, instead of the twic being good for 2 years, they make it expire with your license, so it's only worth it if you just renewed
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
If not, why bother?
If the carrier hauls irregular spot hazmat freight, why take the extra risk involved in pulling a placarded wagon for no extra money?
So that you can be the first truck pulled in at the scales for an inspection?
Then you have to route yourself around tunnels, bridges, and towns etc (usually for no extra mileage pay).
If there's a spill because some forklift jockey went flying into your wagon on a multi-stop load and stabbed a drum....that's BIG FINES if that stuff even goes NEAR a river or stream.
Either way, you must by law stop and call CHEMTREC for a cleanup.
Not to mention the extra risk involved in pulling Flammable 3, etc around if you're involved in an accident.

I guess those "reputable" companies I worked for owe me some money. Not once have I ever had an "X" endorsement reimbursement.

Sure...some companies will reimburse for the HazMat background check. Some will even reimburse for the TWIC card costs.

Not once, since the hazmat endorsement began, have I been reimbursed for having it on my license. I always surmised it was because I actually wanted to do the job I was doing, and possession of the "X" endorsement was needed to qualify for, or remain qualified for, the job.

It's a fairly simple decision Tndieselgrl has. If there is a specific company she wants to work for, and that company requires she has an "X" endorsement and a TWIC card....she needs to get them.

If a company will reimburse her, all the better for her. But...possession of those tools qualifies her for a better or more desirable job or company.

Knowing the requirements of hauling hazardous materials, and which routes are safe and legal, is part of the job. IF Tndieselgrl took a position at a "reputable" company, then she can fully expect to be compensated for hazmat routing, whether the "rate to the truck" pays the extra mileage or not. Her employer would still pay for the miles driven.........if the employer were "reputable".

just sayin
Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 AM

I did a short story at my blog on the TWIC card the other day if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Luzon; 11-30-2009 at 04:52 AM.