User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I work for an owner op. out of Tifton Ga. As for Joey Shabadoo, You have a lot of time to run down a good profession that you were not cut out for. You must be a company executive. Unlike you, most people including myself, don't start at the top. Unfortunately the bottom at a mega carrier is below most other companies bottoms. I started at a state prison in Ga in 1988 for 15000 a year. That was the bottom. I worked with the worst prisoners in the state. I was spit on, hit, kicked and even had piss thrown on me. I persevered and worked my way up to the 2nd highest ranking person in uniform at the prison. Desk job, good money, good benefits, good retirement but not happy. There is nothing wrong with driving. You may not start out as the company prez as ol' Joey but with a little hard work and sacrifice it is very rewarding.....
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

eptp88,
Glad things have worked out for you, and I hope things continue to improve.

We try to tell people here what to expect, but in many cases, someone has to find things out for themselves. It's not until you live something, can it be fully understood, and many of us look back on things that were better than we thought, in the beginning. It is a diverse industry, and maybe more so in this industry than in most, it is what you make of it.

You mentioned no insurance. That happened to many of us up here, (N.Mi) as a last struggle to stay in business. There may be more of that in the future.

Sure appreciate you coming back with your story and hopefully this message will resonate with some new drivers. :thumbsup:

Last edited by Roadhog; 11-29-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
So the morale of the story here is to get used and abused by coolie carriers, nearly go to the poorhouse cashing $150.00/wk checks (for 70+ hours...what's that $1.00/hr?!?!?), job hop a bunch of times, and then maybe hit the trucking jackpot by landing a dream job with no health insurance!?!!?

Only reinforces my point that this industry blows. Smart people stay away.

As I tend to agree that there are parts to this job that suck, there are pros to it as well. I'm actualy thankful for this job that I have grown to love. If we all stayed away from the jobs that didn't give us everything, there would be no frieght moved, noone behind the registers at the dept/grocery stores, and we would be clear back to the stone age. At least in this truck I feel I'm doing my part and enjoying some of the beauty of this nation along the way. Better view than the $100K+ CEO gets.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
As I tend to agree that there are parts to this job that suck, there are pros to it as well. I'm actualy thankful for this job that I have grown to love. If we all stayed away from the jobs that didn't give us everything, there would be no frieght moved, noone behind the registers at the dept/grocery stores, and we would be clear back to the stone age. At least in this truck I feel I'm doing my part and enjoying some of the beauty of this nation along the way. Better view than the $100K+ CEO gets.

Well I would argue that statement about the view being better on the road, My brother is a 100K+++ CEO of his own company and I have to think when he is flying himself to D.C. for business the view from the cockpit of his 2005 mooney ovation is pretty fing awesome. Then you need to account for how much you and I are able to do with our free time as compared to the 100K executive. My brothers kids, Vanderbuilt and Duke, My kids FSU, only because I was smart enough to start Florida pre paid college fund way back.
Not saying I am not happy as I would not trade my brothers demons for his life by any means, but there is something to be said about big money and how it helps with the daily stress of life..

Timberwolf
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Rookie

All jobs suck in ways but money doesn't mean everything. As soon as you realize whats important in life you will be much happier. If money was the answer why are so many rich people in therapy and committing suicide?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Board Icon

Awah...now you lost me there ep.
I can't see how being a bottom-buffer, breast-finisher for Adriana Lima could suck.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Money is not the answer,
as I said I would not trade places with my brother by any means, he has it all and more... but along with that comes the demons he carries as well, you find so many people with money who have fu.cked up lives, but then again if it comes my way I won't turn it down..

Timberwolf
Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
eptp88,
Glad things have worked out for you, and I hope things continue to improve.

We try to tell people here what to expect, but in many cases, someone has to find things out for themselves. It's not until you live something, can it be fully understood, and many of us look back on things that were better than we thought, in the beginning. It is a diverse industry, and maybe more so in this industry than in most, it is what you make of it.
Sure appreciate you coming back with your story and hopefully this message will resonate with some new drivers. :thumbsup:
Very true.
Some guys are able to stick with it, and they enjoy it and make a good career. On the other hand, a lot of other guys get either burned out, or they can't stand it. In a lot of cases, it's sad how some drivers find out that OTR isn't all roses, and they find out the hard way.

I also hope that this message board helps new drivers get an idea how it really is.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Actualy, the smart one sticks with what makes them happy I think, I love trucking so far, so that's where I'm staying if I have a say in it
Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptp88 View Post
I got mad and quit a nice paying job for Schneider. Went to their school and stayed there 6 months. Nearly went to the poor house. 150.00 a week pay checks.
:eek2: :nana: :eek2:

Errr...... you went to Schneider's school and stayed there SIX MONTHS??

:hellno: :hellno: :hellno:

EPTP?? Dude, No dis' intended here, but that's an awfully long time to get through truck driving school!! NO WONDER your pay checks were so small!!

Last edited by Useless; 12-01-2009 at 01:52 AM.