User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New guy (wrong forum?)

Hey guys, my name is Zach, 24 yrs old from North Iowa. This past spring i took an intense 3 week course to enable me to get licensed for a full Class A with doubles-triples as well as tanker endorsements.

After i got my CDL, i decided to apply locally driving a concrete mixer to gain more experience driving, especially on roads i know to fully gain knowledge on shifting, cornering, backing etc. Anyway, this past week they laid me off for the winter. I am now fully inclined to begin driving OTR which is why im here now.

The company i have been looking into is called TMC Transportation. They are located out of Des Moines, IA and from what ive read, they are a top notch company.

Anyway, sorry for the long welcome, just wanted to kinda introduce myself and give you guys a small background since obtaining my CDL.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminscrazed View Post
Hey guys, my name is Zach, 24 yrs old from North Iowa. This past spring i took an intense 3 week course to enable me to get licensed for a full Class A with doubles-triples as well as tanker endorsements.

After i got my CDL, i decided to apply locally driving a concrete mixer to gain more experience driving, especially on roads i know to fully gain knowledge on shifting, cornering, backing etc. Anyway, this past week they laid me off for the winter. I am now fully inclined to begin driving OTR which is why im here now.

The company i have been looking into is called TMC Transportation. They are located out of Des Moines, IA and from what ive read, they are a top notch company.

Anyway, sorry for the long welcome, just wanted to kinda introduce myself and give you guys a small background since obtaining my CDL.

Thanks guys!
welcome,good luck and be safe in what ever you do!:thumbsup:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Rookie

thanks man
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Welcome,
Be very very careful I hear this message board is crawling with liberals and once they (uhm we) get their hands on you it's over they (uhm we) will have you drinking the kool aid in no time.... scary stuff us liberals.
I am not really a liberal but the majority of the board thinks I am becouse I believe Islam is a religion so I drank the kool aid and low and behold poof Timberwolf is a psuedo liberal... kind of cool huh..

Come to my den my little protege. hee.hee.hee kackle kackle kackle....

Just joking... MODS don't be upset with me please...

Seriously, if you have been drving Class B since you started driving it may be a difficult to get a company to take a chance on you, not saying it can't happen you just really need to sell yourself and your abilties then the most important part of all, is to follow through when you do get your chance even when the BS is neck deep you still need to follow through and gain that experience... If I were you I would try my hardest to stay local...

Good Luck

Timberwolf
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Board Icon

Best wishes! Good luck on your career. TMC is a good company to work for, from what I've heard. Let us know how you are doing.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome to the forum. I read a different thread that TMC is close to going out of business or at least reorginizing under chapter 7. dosn't mean you shouldnt take a job with them to get your feet wet, though. If you drive for a company and it goes out then that's not a negative on your record. Just keep on top of your record there and get printouts of your mileages, safety reviews etc.. in case it does happen so you have proof of what you did.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM

Yes. Timberwolf is right. If you've been driving class B the whole time I would think that they wouldn't consider you experienced. Unfortunately. Give them a call though. The worst they can say is no. Please do let us know how it goes. I for one would be very interested in hearing how you make out. Best of luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Rookie

well, i took an intense 3 wk course to get my Class A, so i have my A.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Tmc

Based on your having NO 18-wheeler experience, expect to be with an OTR trainer full term if you get in the door. Since TMC is flatbed and anal about tarping, pay attention during securement training and do it their way all the time. You could do worse things than being out with a company trainer during the winter. If you kept you mixer cab clean, you're halfway home with TMC. Have you considered Heartland? Among other things, they haul groceries and people always have to eat. BOL
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM

An Intense 3 week course,

Ha,, Now that's funny.

I went to an intense 8 week course,

"Week one" we did not even touch a truck all we did was sit in class rooms and study trucks.

"Weeks 2 & 3" we were able to get the basics of a truck, pre trips, gears, double shifting, styles, and basic track driving and very easy city driving skills. while driving the track on our lunch break the instructors would go out and slide the trailer tandums and it was funny to watch us look in amazement as to why we were knocking over barrels this time around but dint the firsttime around.

"week four" all we did for an enitre week was practice backing skills in 6 different dock situations, 10 of us guys for 8 hours straight all day rotated from station to station for an entire week, by weeks end I could line up any truck combo to any dock situation with out fear of hitting something.

"weeks 5 through 8" were spent doing nothing but driving on the highways of Florida for 9 to 11 hours all day long, and at different times of the day, our instructors had us get up at midnight on four days just so we would know what it was like to pull at night. We waited at the school one day for an hour before pulling out just so the rain clouds could come in and we would get a good feel for rain driving.

In three weeks times all you are going to get is the minimal basics of driving. There is no way the tought you how to properly secure loads, how to properly slide tandums, gave you any chance to get comfortable backing a truck combo up, or even just the feel of what you need to do if your steer tires glide off the pavement at 70 mph pulling a flatbed loaded with lumber.

Since your graduation you have gained no experience pulling trailers. it is going to be hard to get a company to take a chance on you, again I am not saying it cant be done becouse I am a firm believer in if you want it bad enough you will find a way to get it done. My insturctors told me it was hard to go from school right into a local driving job as most comapnies want local drivers who have otr road experience. I remeber telling my instructor that I guess I just wasted my $1800 of tuition money as there was no way I was going to pull otr and leave my family. we had a company come to recruit for otr jobs and I ask about their local work which they had and went after that job. the rest is history I got my experience and am now pulling fuel around the state.

I just telling you don't use the "intense" 3 week school as the foundation for your experience use you head and your marketing abilities first. with all the drivers looking for jobs and some of the recent negative press on these 3 week school you have to sell your skills before the school.

Good Luck..

Timberwolf

Last edited by TimberWolf; 11-25-2009 at 12:28 PM.