User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default a few questions

My name is Levi and i'm new to the board as a member but have been reading the posts for weeks now.I am going to be starting cdl school at affordable truck driver training in Moulton Alabama on October 5th. Does anyone have any experience with this school? Also I have been reading and reading about companies that hire new drivers, researching annual pay for new drivers, and reading all the stories about the companies. I have come to determine the only way to know for sure is to pick one that offers good training for beginners and go with it sticking it out the full year and accepting any load they give and be there when needed and doing what needs to be done. I have been considering h.o. wolding, trans am, stevens transport, and covenant as acceptable companies but would like input from someone with experience. I know alot of negatives come from being fired by that company and I thought about werner until everyone seems to target them and apparently they have a high turn over rate. Im just new and would like input. Im 22, married (the wife understands the away time and accepts it) I kinda just up and decided to go for it, I work at a mom and pop retail hardware store with no benefits,no overtime pay, and no future in it, and needed a better paying job w/ benefits. Sorry the post is long winded but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

I'll make this as short as possible, don't want to get long winded with it. I see you live in Troy, why not try Wiley Sanders, i'm almost positive they accept driving school grads, and i'm pretty sure they have regional runs, especially for someone like you living right there in town. I live in Tallahassee and run I 10 on a regular basis and see Sanders trucks all the time, have heard a few of their drivers talking about pay and what not, want to say it was around 33 cents per mile, and this particular driver was home on the weekends. Anyway, just my 2 cents, maybe also look in to AMX out of Dothan, or TRA Transport, want to say they're near you as well. Good luck with it, and keep focused on the road ahead.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on your plans, but you mentioned that you were 22? Most carriers require you to be at least 23 before they will hire you. Some require 25 as the minimum. Before spending money on school, I would check around at some of these carriers and see if you can qualify at your age. If you will be 23 by the time you end your schooling it may be a non issue. I would hate to see you spend money on school if you can't get a job. It is easy to check basic requirements with a phone call. Many carriers are also listed on the company listings on the top of this forum. If you can't get a job for another year you may want to delay entry into school.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Rookie
Default Alabama jobs

http://www.classadrivers.com/index.p...ing&StateID=AL
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Actually...at 22 he could probably get a job right there at Wiley Sanders, doing trailer spotting and P&D.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I went thru that school. (And belive it or not, with a guy named Levi...he's hauling woodchips to Courtland)

It's your typical CDL "mill". Good guy that owns it though (Chuck). WH Wolding actually owns the building and property so there's an extra push to go with them after graduation...probably about half do.

I chose flatbed (PGT) because of previous flatbed experience and that type work just suits me better.

I first got a CDL in '91 and went thru the state employment office, drove about a year and went into the outdoor advertising business (billboards) eventually dropping my CDL thinking I wouldn't be back.

Things changed (that's just life) and decided to go back on the road...that's when I went thru Affordable CDL....

Now, having experienced both the 8 week course thru the Employment Service AND a CDL "mill" I STRONGLY suggest, if you have the time, go thru CDL training at a local community college as you'll be MUCH better prepared when you are placed with a trainer.

And a trainer will be much more appreciative if he can focus more on your driving skills instead of having to spend time teaching you how to trip plan (for instance)...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM

At 21 you can go to Swift, Schneider, CR England, Arrow, Werner, Roehl, etc. I started hauling intrastate at 20 and went interstate at 21, get ready to lose your personal life and probably your woman. Just speaking from experience. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders45347 View Post
My name is Levi and i'm new to the board as a member but have been reading the posts for weeks now.I am going to be starting cdl school at affordable truck driver training in Moulton Alabama on October 5th. Does anyone have any experience with this school? Also I have been reading and reading about companies that hire new drivers, researching annual pay for new drivers, and reading all the stories about the companies. I have come to determine the only way to know for sure is to pick one that offers good training for beginners and go with it sticking it out the full year and accepting any load they give and be there when needed and doing what needs to be done. I have been considering h.o. wolding, trans am, stevens transport, and covenant as acceptable companies but would like input from someone with experience. I know alot of negatives come from being fired by that company and I thought about werner until everyone seems to target them and apparently they have a high turn over rate. Im just new and would like input. Im 22, married (the wife understands the away time and accepts it) I kinda just up and decided to go for it, I work at a mom and pop retail hardware store with no benefits,no overtime pay, and no future in it, and needed a better paying job w/ benefits. Sorry the post is long winded but any input would be greatly appreciated.
There is an excellent chance that if you continue down this path you are going to ruin your life for a very long time.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 AM

Hello fellow Alabamaians. I went to ESD driving school over in Decatur,AL. Good peoples there.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:18 AM

This post seems like it has a lot of good advice for you. Don't know what the guy who said "if you continue down this path there's a good chance that you'd ruin your life" was talking about though unless he was eluding to your comment about just up and deciding to go for it. A little more planning on your part in the future would be well advised though. Just my 2 cents on that part.

Something else that I think needs to be said, especially to someone just starting out in life, 22 years old and married and being someone who sometimes makes big decisions on a whim is this:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, fall for any of these companies "lease (fleece)" deals, where you lease the truck, you pay for the fuel, you pay for the insurance, you pay for a whole slew of other things that all add up, and YOU take all the risk. Basically, the risk for that truck shifts from the company to you. You'll need to have a reserve of cash for the "things" that happen out on the road: flat tires, towing, oil, PM's, inspections, tolls, etc, etc. Only after you've been behind the wheel for a year or so, and have talked to a significant share of owner/ops should you begin to think about that path, if you're so inclined.
Now, there will probalby be replys to this message from people that have been successful going down this path but believe me, it's the exception rather than the rule. At 22, what's the drawback of waiting another year or two to get some good experience?

That's just my thoughts for you sir. Good luck.