X2 on the do not do fleece purchase.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Levi
1st do your research go to a truck stop and ask some drivers of the company's, that you are thinking of applying. Ask them what they think about the company don't talk to 1 or 2 try to get at least 5. Then if possibly try to get one company that is closet to where you live and runs a lot in your area where you live. And make sure your wife understands that you will be gone for 1 week to 3 weeks, and if she is reluctant, and just says well i guess you have to do what you have to do. Honestly think about How strong your marriage is you being 22 I am assuming that you have not been married for only a couple of years. It's hard on a wife
to be married to OTR driver. Then when you do pick a company try your hardest to get that 12 to 15 months in and go get a local or better OTR job. And remember that OTR is more of a life style then a job. Also ill say a little prayer for you that God points you in the right directions what ever that my be. Because we all need that.

Last edited by curbhunter; 11-14-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some people do well being married and driving otr. Others do not do so well. If you are already having problems in your marriage then this could push you over the edge. On the other hand, if you have a good relationship then it could make your marriage stronger. Sometimes having some time apart can work to your advantage in a relationship. Some carriers will allow you to take your spouse with you once you gain some experience.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll suggest KLLM out of Jackson, Tn.
Pretty good Training company.

Look around your local area for parked trucks... drivers on "hometime"-- unless you have a company with a local terminal. What you see- means those companies can/will get you home and have no "excuses" why they can't. Consider your Parking arrangements- many companies won't let you drop that trailer 10 miles down the road at the mom & pop fuel stop- then bobtail the tractor to your drive way. Other companies will get you home only under a load for 34hrs or so.

Also might consider Gulf Coast?

The advise to check on hiring age before you start your school is very solid.
I would add- also check if that company hires from THAT school-- many companies will only hire a student(new hire) from an Approved PDT accredited school.
"....accepting any load they give and be there when needed and doing what needs to be done."
The stuff you talked about ... all the "shut up and do what you're told" business-- I wouldn't take that to any extreme-- you've got to show the Dispatcher- You're the Boss of that Truck. And that he's suppose to be working as a Team with You for a Win/Win with you. You have to be "diplomatic" and professional in your dealings with customers & dispatchers. If you take whatever load he throws at you-- you'll be "pimped" out real soon and not make any money at all + never get home + could get in trouble with DOT for HOS violations- and unsafe fatigue driving if you don't learn the word.. NO.

The money won't be easy or fast or great to start... you'll have many expenses and tools needed to accumulate as well as Experience at first.
The hometime MUST be there-- expecially if you wish to balance the Trucking Life & your family life.
Companies would rather hire a YOUNG Man with FAMILY than a young Single guy.... the family man is more stable/responsible. You must remind them, that you're driving to LIVE.. not LIVING to Drive. Stay focused, watch the math.