User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The trucking companies need to get together to raise rates in order to compensate truck drivers for these additional hardships. That’s one of the biggest problems with the trucking industry, they don’t know how to justify their rates and only how to give away services for free and at the expense of the drivers.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Board Icon

Quick Bump

Va. Gov.-Elect McDonnell to Reopen Rest Stops | NBC Washington

Why what a novel idea for free labor to man them. Wonder if a guard will be posted at each one though.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 PM

What's up with North Carolina and the lack of rest ares? I thought I was gonna have to stop in Mayberry and sleep with Otis in the drunk tank one night.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgrl View Post
:thumbsup: Agreed! Though as a female driver, restrooms are *really* appreciated
5 gallon bucket and a roll of 13 gallon trash bags from Wally World and you'll never want for a restroom again. :-)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Everyone should have some type of "litter box"......I have a colapesable camping one
Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
I have to disagree. The states see closing them as a cost-cutting measure. It should be federal law that there are truck-accessible rest areas every so number of miles that are open 24 hours a day, with a certain number of parking spaces per rest area.
They do not see it as a cost cutting measure. They are simply doing this to throw a tantrum. When a child doesn’t get what he wants he chooses behavior that will draw the most attention. Same thing applies here. There a ton of more effective ways for the states to cut costs. Closing the rest areas is just the most visible thing they can do. Quite frankly, I’d be happy if they put up a “toll gate” and charged a couple dollars for maybe 12 – 14 hours of parking. It’d be worth it in some of the places. I also think it’d be worth them creating large trucks only parking areas (like the one on I-80 just west of the I-76 split in Nebraska) every 50 miles or so on the interstates. They could privatize the security and garbage services (meaning create private sector jobs) and charge a couple of bucks to park there as well. And I DO mean a couple of dollars... not $8 or $10 like some of the truck stops in the Northeast.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The only problem with starting to pay these people is that once they find that people will pay to park they well start to raise prices. Just look what happened to the toll roads in the northeast. It seems like every time you turn around they go up on the tolls. I agree that these states could cut a lot of costs without touching the rest areas. They just don't want to make the hard decisions. It is not politically popular. They need to start cutting payroll. that is a great way to balance a budget. That is what is normally done in the private sector. The problem with these politicians is that they buy votes with taxpayer dollars. There are so many people feeding on the public trough that it would be difficult to start cutting people.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The only problem with starting to pay these people is that once they find that people will pay to park they well start to raise prices. Just look what happened to the toll roads in the northeast.
I don’t think it would be like the toll roads. In many areas, using the toll roads is almost a necessity to get from place to place. If they raised the price of all the NYC bridges to $500 each way, trucks would still be lining up to pay the toll. Parking areas are always an option. The more they raise the price the fewer patrons they would have. As I’ve already said, I’d be willing to pay a couple bucks for the convenience of having a decent, dependable place to park. I wouldn’t pay much more than a couple bucks though. I’m managing now without the parking areas I proposed so it wouldn’t be too hard to stop giving them my business if the prices got out of hand.

Last edited by Musicman; 01-06-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Their closing all the rest areas in Arizona so the DPS has enough money to sit the side of the road/median and idle their cars so their not hot/cold while waiting to pull one of us over.
did you read that az. was also closing all the state parks too?