User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
this reminds me of something that happened yesterday on my way to jersey. i was runnin along the pa pike when i came up on this swift truck with his triangles out. i thought to myself...i wish things were like they used to be so i pulled in behind him and walked up to the truck to see if he needed any help. the driver gets out and said "no, i am good, they are bringing me another truck." i said what happened. he said "the sunvisor fell off". i said well why are the bringing you another truck? he says "well the shift pattern is on the sunvisor so i need a new truck"
I seriously hope that story is BS. However, if not, there are plenty of auto-shift companies out there.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
This reminds me of what I once heard that used motor oil(well strained) could be added to your truck's fuel tanks and burned. It seems to me that this would work great for disposing of spent motor oil, provided that it was filtered of any particles and mixed well with diesel fuel(eg. 5 gals motor oil to 200 gals diesel).

Would it work or would it be a great way to destroy fuel injectors?

Ummmmmm. Back in days gone by, it was not unheard of, to filter used motor oil, and use it in farm equipment.

Now....if you buy Lucas...or US Lube...or Howells...or any of those other "extras", they are for the most part, manufactured from recycled oil. Yes...used oil is recycled to make fuels, but the majority goes towards "synthetic" blends.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
After thinking about this rolling down the road, I'm sure this is one of those stories that starts out as one thing, but gets told so many times, that the story gets twisted around, things added (or leftover) whatever.

My idea is this. This "leftover" fuel might actually just be SURPLUS from whatever bulk amount that Flyin J buys for the week/month country wide. So they in turn sell it at the end of said term just to break even on it.

My school friend said they never fuel in terminals, they dont hardly ever stop in terminals except to t-call (which is all the time, cause 85% of their loads they t-call) they dont even shower at terminals (which at some i can understand) and she said that the difference in the price isnt enough to even consider. Which got me to thinkin' again...(twice in one day...scary....but it is halloween)....if you are a L/O or O/O, even though you're saving $0.05 - $0.10/gal, you're saving $15-25 a tank....and if you top off 2-3x a week, that could add up to $200+ a month easy. That would make me want to ONLY fuel at terminals.....IMO. the 'points' you get fueling at truck stops are meaningless anyways....and that 'free' shower you're still paying for out of pocket.

Flying J has been selling fuel to trucking companies in "bulk" for all of their existence. The original company....Huskey, was big time into selling fuel to farmers and truckers. Truck Stops were just a sideline for Huskey.

Love's is another company that got its start, selling fuel to farmers and trucking companies.

And yes. Pilot delivers fuel to trucking companies as well.

Many of the major companies that fuel at Flying J, TA/Petro, Pilot, Loves, Wilco and the like, usually do so, while taking advantage of "bulk sale" pricing.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you are the man JD!!
NO he's NOT!! He just cost me half a beer and half an hour cleaning off my computer! :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
This reminds me of what I once heard that used motor oil(well strained) could be added to your truck's fuel tanks and burned. It seems to me that this would work great for disposing of spent motor oil, provided that it was filtered of any particles and mixed well with diesel fuel(eg. 5 gals motor oil to 200 gals diesel).

Would it work or would it be a great way to destroy fuel injectors?
I once saw the Mythbusters run a diesel car on nothing but used cooking oil. They ran it through a simple strainer to remove any batter or other debris, then put it straight into the engine. No diesel fuel, no blend, no nothing. Just cooking oil.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
After thinking about this rolling down the road, I'm sure this is one of those stories that starts out as one thing, but gets told so many times, that the story gets twisted around, things added (or leftover) whatever.

My idea is this. This "leftover" fuel might actually just be SURPLUS from whatever bulk amount that Flyin J buys for the week/month country wide. So they in turn sell it at the end of said term just to break even on it.

My school friend said they never fuel in terminals, they dont hardly ever stop in terminals except to t-call (which is all the time, cause 85% of their loads they t-call) they dont even shower at terminals (which at some i can understand) and she said that the difference in the price isnt enough to even consider. Which got me to thinkin' again...(twice in one day...scary....but it is halloween)....if you are a L/O or O/O, even though you're saving $0.05 - $0.10/gal, you're saving $15-25 a tank....and if you top off 2-3x a week, that could add up to $200+ a month easy. That would make me want to ONLY fuel at terminals.....IMO. the 'points' you get fueling at truck stops are meaningless anyways....and that 'free' shower you're still paying for out of pocket.
Kevin, youve got it. The fuel savings with terminal fuel is one of the main reasons its available. Your school friends arent serious about their business if they havent realized they need to save money especially when fuel is one of their major expenses. The difference in price is everything of importance to consider. She seems to be more concerned with showering in a private truckstop shower. Is she teaming with her man? They cant shower together at the terminal. Can you imagine getting romantic with your mate in a truckstop shower? Yuck..... Also, most larger fleets buy fuel on futures and then have it trucked in from the nearest fuel depot. Its definitely not pumped out of the ground at the truckstop then redelivered to the terminal.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I was chatting with a friend from the school who is running team L/O (though they will tell you they're O/O) that terminal fuel is leftover fuel from the Flyin' Js. (atleast in swift's case their fuel is purchased from Flyin J) Now i dont buy its 'leftover' fuel....but granted might not be as 'fresh' and the stuff they put in their tanks at the truck stop....anyone have an idea into this??
Kevin, my advice to you - Never believe what you hear, and believe half of what you see.

I have to say, that's one of the best ones I've heard. :hellno: :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 10-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99 View Post
I once saw the Mythbusters run a diesel car on nothing but used cooking oil. They ran it through a simple strainer to remove any batter or other debris, then put it straight into the engine. No diesel fuel, no blend, no nothing. Just cooking oil.
I have hear of this. Someone has a setup for a pickup truck with 2 tanks. One tank is diesel which is used to start and shutdown the engine. The other tank has filtered grease from fastfood outlets. The second tank also a heater unit to keep it from gelling/solidifying.

The original diesel engine design was to run off direct types of fuels(eg vegetable oil, petrol diesel, animal fats, etc.). Of course, modern petrol diesel is formulated with additives to maximizes engine reliability and durability. Engine manufacturers limit the fuel type(eg. petrol diesel, B5 biodiesel, etc.) for warranty reasons to eliminate variables.

Diesel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Board Regular
Default Used Motor Oil Prohibited in 2007 Engines

Apparently, it is violation of federal law to do what I heard in the new 2007 engines.

Justia :: 40 C.F.R. §80.610What acts are prohibited under the diesel fuel sulfur program?