User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
Have you ever been in a dispatch office and overheard dispatchers and drivers going back and forth on the phone ?

I did just the other day...it was a riot

Great Dispatcher Quotes:

1) "What ?...what do you mean you don't have the hours ?...I know more about logbooks

than you ...and I don't even drive!".... CLICK ! :rofl:

2) "Late ?....what do you mean Late?" ..... No...no...no... you move the fuel stop back to 0300 and you will be able to deliver on time".....

3)

I will post more as i catch them

Trucking companies are nuthouses :lol2:
" Isn't your truck # 1701? You're the captain of the enterprise for god's sake-- sure we have an entire fleet of trucks-- but your's always seems to be the only one in the AREA!"

"Do the best you can with it"

Out of hours!-- hell go inside the truck stop and buy yourself another 70 hrs-- they sell those comic books for $2.00!

Hell, it's a drop/hook at both ends!
Sure, there be someone there a 4am to unlock the gate.

Sure, they're open on Sunday Morning... just put your wagon in the wind and knock 'er out.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Your killing me down here headborg, lol
Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Senior Board Member

All the times I was hit with a time-conflict, it was during the weekends.
I just phoned in my terminal, told them what was going on and they said it would be ironed out by Monday.
One particular incident was when I was in SLC and was given a P/P to get loaded from the convention center downtown.
I arrived at said time, but the boys over there told me that the convention wasn't even over yet and that this wasn't even supposed to be done until 10PM.
Problem was, the load was a JIT scheduled for a 9AM pickup and an 8PM drop in Phoenix.

Luckily, after some screamin' and shouting between the people in Fontana and SLC, the drop time was bumped to 2PM the next day.

As I repeat, everyone complains about them doing wrong, but if you talk to the planners and DM's in a firm, yet mellow manner, things tend to roll smoothly and you won't be at risk for flack.

Now, with the smaller company I was forced to go with in Montebello, they scheduled me for one of those pickups right after a drop when I already burned out hours.
This was from Livermore-to-Morgan Hill-to-Montebello.
I survived the scale presence, but then I chased the dispatcher to the nearest bus heading back across the border.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
All the times I was hit with a time-conflict, it was during the weekends.
I just phoned in my terminal, told them what was going on and they said it would be ironed out by Monday.
One particular incident was when I was in SLC and was given a P/P to get loaded from the convention center downtown.
I arrived at said time, but the boys over there told me that the convention wasn't even over yet and that this wasn't even supposed to be done until 10PM.
Problem was, the load was a JIT scheduled for a 9AM pickup and an 8PM drop in Phoenix.

Luckily, after some screamin' and shouting between the people in Fontana and SLC, the drop time was bumped to 2PM the next day.

As I repeat, everyone complains about them doing wrong, but if you talk to the planners and DM's in a firm, yet mellow manner, things tend to roll smoothly and you won't be at risk for flack.

Now, with the smaller company I was forced to go with in Montebello, they scheduled me for one of those pickups right after a drop when I already burned out hours.
This was from Livermore-to-Morgan Hill-to-Montebello.
I survived the scale presence, but then I chased the dispatcher to the nearest bus heading back across the border.

Well, whenever I hear the words.." Do the Best You Can with it."
Which we all know is code for break the law, bend the rules just get it there on time( or else).. it's also means.. "I know you might be recording this.. and I can't tell you to break the law... but I'm gonna be watching.. and I'll remember if YOU slack off and fail me. You'll be doing dog crap loads from me from then on"

again when ever I hear those words-- I call the Safety department and tell them I've heard those words.. and now I demand a "GET OUT OF JAIL--FREE PASS" They usually want to know what I mean.. and that's when it gets real interesting.. I tell them, I'm gonna disconnect the qual-com. I'm going to run around the scales... I'm gonna speed... and if I get tired and wipe out a fender or quarter panel driving exhausted-- that's just too bad! cause I'm "doing the best I can with it!" and I expect my FREE PASS for being a TEAM PLAYER!-- I'm not going to report any damage- because when ever you "do the best you can"... **** HAPPENS!
Needless to say after all that--The Safety Guy explains what HE expects me to do. And I never hear those words too often from the same load planner again.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
Needless to say after all that--The Safety Guy explains what HE expects me to do. And I never hear those words too often from the same load planner again.
This is why I've learned my lesson about not screwing up and staying away from these small companies no one's ever heard of, they have no safety department.
And then there's the fact that the office/supervisory staff(if any) usually goes home at 5PM and aren't in on the weekends.
Talk about being on your own and SOL.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I've had a couple of interesting conversations with load planners/dispatch end quite abruptly when I asked for the safety dept to be put on the line for a conference call.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove from French Lick, IN. to Matoon, IL. went MT around 1am and by the time i got to morris, IL...i had a preplan. I got stopped at a stop light only to see it was a Costco load going to Melrose Park, IL...paid 50some miles, and didnt live unload till 430p. I declined it because not only was it blowing my whole day for 50 some miles, i had requested hometime this weekend since last weekend they screwed me with that overgross load then made me sit all weekend.

anyway, few minutes later i get the load BACK...but this time i got another preplan that gets me home with a backhaul. Maybe they are coming around in after hours. =)
Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipy46 View Post
Have you ever been in a dispatch office and overheard dispatchers and drivers going back and forth on the phone ?

I did just the other day...it was a riot

Great Dispatcher Quotes:

1) "What ?...what do you mean you don't have the hours ?...I know more about logbooks

than you ...and I don't even drive!".... CLICK ! :rofl:

2) "Late ?....what do you mean Late?" ..... No...no...no... you move the fuel stop back to 0300 and you will be able to deliver on time".....

3)

I will post more as i catch them

Trucking companies are nuthouses :lol2:

How about: "Its only this far on the map"! ......:lol2::whistle::rofl:

Where some companies are concerned....I think their operations people are recruited from the dregs of the reject pile that BK and MickeyD's won't even touch!! (Caveat: I have no qualms with the Ops people where I am now....they make me HAPPY and actually do give a damn.... And I mean that SERIOUSLY!)

Seriously though....many companies are very big on nepotism and the hiring of "friends" who can't seem to find work elsewhere...and when a driver is having a problem or there is an issue...all discussion becomes very one sided...theirs. Plus, couple that with the fact that many of them work for wages no-one worth spit would work for.....their only satisfaction comes from a quasi-tin god complex...... wherein they actually think "they have the power"..... Uh, no....they don't. Not unless you give it to them.

Learn when and how to say "NO"......and when in doubt get the Safety Department involved. You cannot, nor can your family afford the fines involved in illegal operation....nor can you afford to end up crippled, dead, or out of a job.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Last edited by Skywalker; 10-09-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
I drove from French Lick, IN. to Matoon, IL. went MT around 1am and by the time i got to morris, IL...i had a preplan. I got stopped at a stop light only to see it was a Costco load going to Melrose Park, IL...paid 50some miles, and didnt live unload till 430p. I declined it because not only was it blowing my whole day for 50 some miles, i had requested hometime this weekend since last weekend they screwed me with that overgross load then made me sit all weekend.

anyway, few minutes later i get the load BACK...but this time i got another preplan that gets me home with a backhaul. Maybe they are coming around in after hours. =)
Not necessarily. They might have already had that 2cd load on you to get you home but just never told you when they sent the first plan. I've had that happen a bunch of times. Get a crappy load, call the company all irate only to be told that I had a second load right after the first that wasn't sent to me. JBHunt was famous for doing that. They just don't inform the drivers of what they are up to all of the time.