User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Atlanta area - need a driving position

I am not sure where to turn, so I thought I would start here. Here is my situation:

I have a current CDL Class A and current DOT card BUT I did not get it through a school. I had a driver with 20 years teach me over the course of a couple of months. It was great one on one training and I learned on the highways of Atlanta. I had a course set up like the state course and everything. I scored perfect on the driving test and easily passed the computer test. I got the license in 2007, so I have had it almost 2 years. I used it for about a year in my sales position....I sold used class 8 trucks and trailers. For the past year I have not driven a truck. I tried self employment and that is no longer working for me. I need a job...and quickly. I called Roehl since they offer a 7 on and 7 off situation. I need something like this for family reasons. I cannot be on the road for multiple weeks at a time. The 7 / 7 or possibly an every weekend home might work. I was told that since that I did not have any OTR experience or a certificate from a school they could not help me.

I have been applying for various jobs for the past several weeks....everything from a sales rep to a driver. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is over 10% here in Georgia, so any type of decent job gets hundreds of responses. Despite the fact that my MVR is spotless, I will pass a criminal background check and drug test with flying colors and I know I can drive a truck, I cannot locate a driving job. If I go to a local driving school and take a refresher course will this pass with trucking companies and their insurance companies? I don't have the money to attend a school to get a license I already have. I am still young - 43 - and in good shape. I know I could offer a company a solid work ethic......I have a family so I would be reliable. Anybody have any ideas for me? I need a position now.

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob
Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm522 View Post
I am not sure where to turn, so I thought I would start here. Here is my situation:

I have a current CDL Class A and current DOT card BUT I did not get it through a school. I had a driver with 20 years teach me over the course of a couple of months. It was great one on one training and I learned on the highways of Atlanta. I had a course set up like the state course and everything. I scored perfect on the driving test and easily passed the computer test. I got the license in 2007, so I have had it almost 2 years. I used it for about a year in my sales position....I sold used class 8 trucks and trailers. For the past year I have not driven a truck. I tried self employment and that is no longer working for me. I need a job...and quickly. I called Roehl since they offer a 7 on and 7 off situation. I need something like this for family reasons. I cannot be on the road for multiple weeks at a time. The 7 / 7 or possibly an every weekend home might work. I was told that since that I did not have any OTR experience or a certificate from a school they could not help me.

I have been applying for various jobs for the past several weeks....everything from a sales rep to a driver. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is over 10% here in Georgia, so any type of decent job gets hundreds of responses. Despite the fact that my MVR is spotless, I will pass a criminal background check and drug test with flying colors and I know I can drive a truck, I cannot locate a driving job. If I go to a local driving school and take a refresher course will this pass with trucking companies and their insurance companies? I don't have the money to attend a school to get a license I already have. I am still young - 43 - and in good shape. I know I could offer a company a solid work ethic......I have a family so I would be reliable. Anybody have any ideas for me? I need a position now.

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob
Did you call Millis Transfer Inc...(Cartersville,Ga)

They got regional and OTR .....
Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Shouldn't have trouble finding something. Just remember, beggers cannot be choosers. wish you luck in finding something that fits your 'needs'.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Roehl Has a yard i think in the Atlanta loop... they are a decent training company.. They have different hometime programs such 14/7 7/7 and so on..
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Roehl Has a yard i think in the Atlanta loop... they are a decent training company.. They have different hometime programs such 14/7 7/7 and so on..
uh.. did you READ the post??
Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob

Most likely, that is going to be the only thing, besides doing a full school course, that you can do.

I doubt you could even get into a CREngland lease, train, drive program right now.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
uh.. did you READ the post??
My bad, when i scanned the post i missed that part..

Last edited by Hawkjr; 08-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob
Try PFG, SYSCO, US Foods, Pepsi, Coca-Cola Enterprises, local moving companies(Allied, United).

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Correction...

Millis no hire

No trucks :thumbsdown:
Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
My bad, when i scanned the post i messed that part..
okay, go stand in the corner and think about what you've done