Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Atlanta area - need a driving position (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/38593-atlanta-area-need-driving-position.html)

rjm522 08-28-2009 01:24 PM

Atlanta area - need a driving position

I am not sure where to turn, so I thought I would start here. Here is my situation:

I have a current CDL Class A and current DOT card BUT I did not get it through a school. I had a driver with 20 years teach me over the course of a couple of months. It was great one on one training and I learned on the highways of Atlanta. I had a course set up like the state course and everything. I scored perfect on the driving test and easily passed the computer test. I got the license in 2007, so I have had it almost 2 years. I used it for about a year in my sales position....I sold used class 8 trucks and trailers. For the past year I have not driven a truck. I tried self employment and that is no longer working for me. I need a job...and quickly. I called Roehl since they offer a 7 on and 7 off situation. I need something like this for family reasons. I cannot be on the road for multiple weeks at a time. The 7 / 7 or possibly an every weekend home might work. I was told that since that I did not have any OTR experience or a certificate from a school they could not help me.

I have been applying for various jobs for the past several weeks....everything from a sales rep to a driver. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is over 10% here in Georgia, so any type of decent job gets hundreds of responses. Despite the fact that my MVR is spotless, I will pass a criminal background check and drug test with flying colors and I know I can drive a truck, I cannot locate a driving job. If I go to a local driving school and take a refresher course will this pass with trucking companies and their insurance companies? I don't have the money to attend a school to get a license I already have. I am still young - 43 - and in good shape. I know I could offer a company a solid work ethic......I have a family so I would be reliable. Anybody have any ideas for me? I need a position now.

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob

zipy46 08-28-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm522 (Post 460545)
I am not sure where to turn, so I thought I would start here. Here is my situation:

I have a current CDL Class A and current DOT card BUT I did not get it through a school. I had a driver with 20 years teach me over the course of a couple of months. It was great one on one training and I learned on the highways of Atlanta. I had a course set up like the state course and everything. I scored perfect on the driving test and easily passed the computer test. I got the license in 2007, so I have had it almost 2 years. I used it for about a year in my sales position....I sold used class 8 trucks and trailers. For the past year I have not driven a truck. I tried self employment and that is no longer working for me. I need a job...and quickly. I called Roehl since they offer a 7 on and 7 off situation. I need something like this for family reasons. I cannot be on the road for multiple weeks at a time. The 7 / 7 or possibly an every weekend home might work. I was told that since that I did not have any OTR experience or a certificate from a school they could not help me.

I have been applying for various jobs for the past several weeks....everything from a sales rep to a driver. Unfortunately the unemployment rate is over 10% here in Georgia, so any type of decent job gets hundreds of responses. Despite the fact that my MVR is spotless, I will pass a criminal background check and drug test with flying colors and I know I can drive a truck, I cannot locate a driving job. If I go to a local driving school and take a refresher course will this pass with trucking companies and their insurance companies? I don't have the money to attend a school to get a license I already have. I am still young - 43 - and in good shape. I know I could offer a company a solid work ethic......I have a family so I would be reliable. Anybody have any ideas for me? I need a position now.

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob

Did you call Millis Transfer Inc...(Cartersville,Ga)

They got regional and OTR .....:)

Kevin0915 08-28-2009 02:49 PM

Shouldn't have trouble finding something. Just remember, beggers cannot be choosers. wish you luck in finding something that fits your 'needs'.

Hawkjr 08-28-2009 04:41 PM

Roehl Has a yard i think in the Atlanta loop... they are a decent training company.. They have different hometime programs such 14/7 7/7 and so on..

Fredog 08-28-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkjr (Post 460566)
Roehl Has a yard i think in the Atlanta loop... they are a decent training company.. They have different hometime programs such 14/7 7/7 and so on..

uh.. did you READ the post??

Orangetxguy 08-28-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob

Most likely, that is going to be the only thing, besides doing a full school course, that you can do.

I doubt you could even get into a CREngland lease, train, drive program right now. :cool:

Hawkjr 08-28-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog (Post 460567)
uh.. did you READ the post??

My bad, when i scanned the post i missed that part..

Double R 08-28-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

TIA for all your ideas.

Bob

Try PFG, SYSCO, US Foods, Pepsi, Coca-Cola Enterprises, local moving companies(Allied, United).

zipy46 08-28-2009 10:41 PM

Correction...

Millis no hire

No trucks :thumbsdown:

Fredog 08-28-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkjr (Post 460613)
My bad, when i scanned the post i messed that part..

okay, go stand in the corner and think about what you've done