User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Stupid laws like this should be atleast be put up to public vote. You know most cops idle their cars and run the A/C and I bet this type of boneheaded law doesnt apply to them. How many politicians do you think could survive in a truck cab in a hot climate. I get more disgusted with our politicians every day . The stupid cash for clunkers program is another stupid idea, why not send people facing foreclosure $ 4500.00 so they have a shot at staying in their homes instead of giving folks that arent hurting finacially an op to buy a new car. Sorry for the rant folks but I am getting real sick of all this go green BS.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Hell, 99% of the politicians couldn't handle a 72 degree day while driving nonstop across Iowa or Kansas with absolutely no traffic, let alone sitting in an oven in the middle of a parking lot filled with a hundred other trucks for 10-18 hours in the baking sun.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Board Icon

We need to all ban together and let our voices be heard by DOT and the politicians but that will never happen. Unfortunately it will take deadly crashes piling up before these idiot politicians realize they goofed on this type of law.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

or after they pull 15-20 guys out of their non-idling trucks because they died from the heat...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
Hmmm... so company drivers suppose to get a room every day/night??
If he company won't provide an APU, then they should supply a room.

But unfortunately, that will never happen, as they give a rats ass if their underpaid indentured mobile homeless servants get good rest or get a ticket for idling.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
We need to all band together and let our voices be heard by DOT and the politicians but that will never happen. Unfortunately it will take deadly crashes piling up before these idiot politicians realize they goofed on this type of law.

Mr. Ford has it right. WE all do need to band together and make our voices and opinions heard. He is also right that it will never happen.

The DOT needs to hear from more than 60% of all driver's, whom operate OTR trucks equipped with a sleeper berth, and use that sleeper berth to comply with hours of service regulations. The drivers need to request a review of this regulation (§393.77), which was written in 1932 and has had little revision since that time. Drivers need to make it clear to the DOT, that in 1932 there was no "Air Conditioning" available for "Trucks", hence there had been, until now, no need to revise this section of the FMCSR's.

Now, with so many cities, counties and states directly targeting trucks, with anti-idle regulations, and including sleeper berth periods in their anti-idle legislation, WE need to get the USDOT to revise the regulation and clarify the use of "Air Conditioning" and "Cab Heaters" as a safety feature, as pertains to Driver health, Driver safety, and Public safety.

Hearing from a super-majority of (more than 85%) all drivers, (OTR sleeper berth driver's as well as local day cab drivers), would be a plus.

Section 393.77 deals only with cab heaters and defrosters. It does not directly deal with air conditioning or excessive cab heat. IF the DOT worries about winter conditions....it stands to reason that they also worry about summer conditions.

Another thing about section 393.77. When it was written, most trucks were only daycabs, and if a driver was out on "The Road" in that period of our history, those drivers were sleeping in either a motel room located on the route, or in a bunkroom at a terminal along the trucks route.

Part 393: Parts and accessories necessary for safe operation - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Just something for all drivers to think about.

Oh yes.....In order to get anybody to listen to you, your statement needs to be clear, concise and well thought out, with proper grammar and spelling.

Just sayin.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Hearing from a super-majority of (more than 85%) all drivers, (OTR sleeper berth driver's as well as local day cab drivers), would be a plus.
What makes you think day cab drivers give **** whether a dweller can idle or not?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller View Post
What makes you think day cab drivers give **** whether a dweller can idle or not?
There's plenty of day cabs that have to wait 3 hours plus that come to my distribution center to get unloaded... I think those guys would give ****!!

and not to mention are precious LTL line haul guys that take their little sleep breaks... i think they give a **** also
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There's plenty of day cabs that have to wait 3 hours plus that come to my distribution center to get unloaded... I think those guys would give ****!!

and not to mention are precious LTL line haul guys that take their little sleep breaks... i think they give a **** also

our

:smokin:
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

Waiting 3 hours or taking a nap in a day cab with the windows open aside, they still go home to a nice home with heat and air, I doubt they lose much sleep over those who chose to live in a box who can't idle.