User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
OMG folks, OR has been doing this for a long time (punching in license plates)... the primary point of it is NOT to bust you for driving too fast, or too long, etc., but to nail companies who under report miles traveled in OR. CO punches in your VIN at each scale crossing, which is why they demand you have it on the side of your truck. I would also warn those who run OR that all the other states’ DOT knows that OR and CO track you. I know for a fact that other states’ DOT will call OR and CO to certify your previous 7 days worth of logs. They may not be able to put you out of service, but they can and will write you a ticket for falsification.

When we hit the OR or CO state line, we make sure our logs are 100% current and accurate at that point and generally don’t stop at all in either state for anything. We are a bit lazy about logs and generally don’t log stops for things like coffee or restrooms, but in either of the two aforementioned states, that could become a problem.
The only time I’ve ever been put out of service was on the WB Loma, CO scale. Mark Furman (I swear this DOT guy could be his twin) looked at my log and noticed that the Limon scaled had me crossing at a certain time, but yet if my log was accurate about when I’d left Salina, KS, I’d have to averaged something like 90 mph from Salina to Limon. Needless to say, I had some explaining to do, which of course didn’t work out so well.

Those Loma scales can be a real beeeatch. Last time I went by there EB, they had six trucks OOS and one of the skateboard drivers had a full sized Smokey Joe grill set up and a few guys were sitting arround it in lawn chairs. All they lacked was as keg and they'd have had a full blown party going on. I chuckled about that all the way to Denver.
I don't know if they were righting speed tickets at Cascade Locks or not....bu they were dang sure looking hard at the 11 & 14 hours. The Chicka on the computer called out one truck for having been at Roseburg at 7 am. That was at 6:30 pm. They pulled him around and had him walk inside.