User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice Needed for new TDI grad

Good afternoon all ! I am a recent grad from Truck Driver Institute in Sanford FL. I always had an interest in trucking so when I had to switch careers I decided to make my dream a reality.I also understand that in this current economy this isn't the greatest time to get into trucking but this is something I must do for me.I have a clean background and driving record as well as a high school diploma. At this time I have orientationI offers from COVENANT TRANSPORT and CRST VAN EXPiDiTED are these good places to start based on your knowledge and experience. I had interest in Heartland Express but I understand you need a year experience to be hired with them.I understand Florida isn't a great place to live and plan to move to Tennesse after my daughter graduates high school this year. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Advice Given

Take this advice commensurate with what you pay for it. Both are probably as good as any to start. Pay attention to what the pay scale is six and twelve months out. Have you talked to Swift in Ocala? If not, why not? Whoever you go with, stay with them for a year, almost no matter what. BOL
Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Sealord thanks for your advice and time I apprecite it. I havent talked to Swift yet but did fill out an app for them that was in my school packet. Do you think Swift would be a better choice than COVENANT OR CRST. I realize there is alot of negative reviews on Covenant especially concerning their idle policy. I do know that there are only a handfull of trucking companys that hire recent grads and most have negative reviews but I have to get started somewhere.

Last edited by Flyerfan4life; 08-06-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Board Regular

Take what you can get as a recent school grad. CRST probably gets less of a "bad rap" than Covenant gets around here.

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, and would drive for SATAN HIMSELF right now - just to get on the road, and keep my residence and home-time DOWN HERE...

Rick
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks Rick ! I have been in Florida since 8th grade and am getting sick of the heat down here. My wife and I really love the mountains and are hoping to relocate to Tennessee.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

you also might try US Express, they are better than Covenant (so is almost everyone else)
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
Thanks Rick ! I have been in Florida since 8th grade and am getting sick of the heat down here. My wife and I really love the mountains and are hoping to relocate to Tennessee.
I HATE SOUTH FLORIDA - heat, traffic, FOREIGNERS, etc. - BUT - I have what's left of my computer business here - and I still have some clients on RETAINER (that's monthly $$ without even walking in the door). So spending some time here every 4-6 weeks is in my best interest for the time being. I'm looking to move into the Atlanta area, though Tennessee, Alabama and North/South Carolina are nice also.

Buying a rig and chasing the freight boards for a year might be in the cards for me. Just got a quote from PROGRESSIVE - who WILL write 500 mile radius insurance for the 1st year. $10,000 IF I have an Ocala (or likewise in the sticks address), 13,000 for Jax and $16,000 for 'Lauderdale. Lauderdale is essentially USELESS to me - but - Jax gives me most of the SouthEast and Ocala/Gainesville gives me more of the Mid-South. Been checking the 'boards to see which direction might be in my best interest - there seems to be enough van/reefer stuff to keep me relatively busy. My SoFla income would pay for my basic needs, trucking revenues would essentially make my business overhead (truck, insurance, tags, fuel, etc.), with a small profit if I keep my foot out of the pedal and my joyriding/OOR miles to a MINIMUM.

Like I said - getting IN from FLORIDA is tough - take what you can GET. Once you get a year or two, and a better LOCATION - there are much better opportunities to be had...

Best of luck - keep us posted...

Rick

Note to Fredog - US Express is pretty much teams or lease ONLY. I dunno about anyone else - but I can only thing of one or two guys, and about the same amount of gals that I'd choose to live in a truck with for a month at a time. I have a 2000 sq. ft. HOUSE and live ALONE (if ya get my drift)...

Last edited by SickRick; 08-06-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 PM

flyerfan, to little to late but.....
did you look into mid florida tech?
tdi cost $5000+
mid florida tech cost $1850+ plus they help find jobs for grads....
I looked into tdi back in 04 and the boss hog guy behind the desk told i could do no wrong to hire on with central refridgerated.... i went to mid floida and did 3 years with commercial carrier a short stint at ups freight and now pull fuel for florida rock.
good luck...

timberwolf
Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
you also might try US Express, they are better than Covenant (so is almost everyone else)
I checked out US Express back when I was in school and they were running ads with a 5 grand sign on bonus. They told me they recieved my ap but dont hire school grads. Thanks anyway Fredog.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the help. I have been working the phone and net since July 10th and Florida is not a popular place with trucking companys. I have read a ton of posts here and elsewhere and most companys that will hire a recent grad get lots of bad reviews. Considering I wish to move to TN in a year or so Covenant has 3 terminals close by. I know what I am getting into and I will tough it out and make myself a better driver.I realize freight is slow and I may sit waiting for a load and not make much money for a while. I will stick around these boards its a cool place.