User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Where did I read that there is GPS software coming out that is related to PC Miler that is supposed to be more trucker friendly than current offerings that to some degree or another are just adapted from consumer products and at times less than helper to the pro driver?

Ontario, Canada
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBF View Post
Where did I read that there is GPS software coming out that is related to PC Miler that is supposed to be more trucker friendly than current offerings that to some degree or another are just adapted from consumer products and at times less than helper to the pro driver?
pc miler 430 and worldnav are both P.O.S
Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

You might consider the fact that even with "truck specific software", you may still find restrictions that it does not cover. Examply, NY-22 is restricted for 53' trailers from rte-55, (Wingdale) to I-84. but no restriction with a 48'. Va restricts 102" wide on many of their roads. And, you still have to contact the state to find out if your legal or not. The road atlas doesn't tell you which specific roads are size restricted.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

I have PC Miler GPS Navigator 430 which is a truck specific GPS and it works great so far. I've had it for about a year now. I haven't had any issues with it yet that people seem to say it has. I run the west cost so maybe that's it. But I scoot around L.A., Frisco, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Vegas, etc. just fine. It gives you many options like practical miles routing, shortest routing, restricted routing, etc. My advice to you is, YOU STILL HAVE TO TRIP PLAN, the GPS is just an aid in driving, also don't rely on it solely. It works great and if you miss your turn it reroutes you at the next available truck route. Be sure you leave it on Truck Routing otherwise it will be like any other GPS and take you on regular small city streets. It has nearest truck stops, fuel stops, maintenance, food, banks, hotels, etc. Just tap what you want to go to and it routes you there. If you know how to use it and you pre plan your trip you shouldn't have too many issues getting lost again, at least I know I haven't. Have fun and good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 PM

As one who has used, tested, sells, and supports all of the truck GPS's (except the Teletype units) I can hopefully add some clarity to the current truck GPS technology. 2009 has exploded with multiple choices because of companies like Navevo and Garmin creating "truck attributes" databases to compete with ALK's long-time dominance of the market. The refining and improving of the "truck GPS" isn't going to "go away" as the market is just too large and has been largely ignored for so long. The are going to continue to improve and the battle between them has gotten quite bloody in recent months.

Here's the latest:

- First, a note on MS Street and Trips. I agree with the posts here in the following ways. Microsoft uses NavTeq for their maps (as does Garmin and Goodyear.) These are very thorough and accurate maps and this product is well-refined and user friendly. With a little bit of computer skill, you can also add on to S&T with a variety of available POI databases to further customize it with trucking-specific features. It is also very inexpensive for the amount of features making it a very worthwhile overall product for the laptop. For drivers that are given their route instructions by their companies whereby they only have to match that route in S&T it is especially useful. I fully expect to hear that Microsoft will jump into a trucking version of S&T at some point, but have herd no rumors to date.

- Garmin 465T. Garmin has entered the "truck specific" GPS market with their first unit for trucks as you know. I got an advanced unit for testing plus have been testing the production units for 2 months. The bottom line on this product is that though it is undeniable that Garmin is the leader in the hand-held GPS market, they still have some work to do in terms of the trucking data in this. With of price of around $500 for the 465T this is the most expensive of the 4.3" units. Garmin partially makes up for this price with real-time traffic reporting, lane-change warnings, and bluetooth cell phone connectivity. The maps are by NavTeq and are very good, and the interface is very clean. However we have had the units use non-truck -legal routes and find many weigh stations and truck stops missing in the current version. However, the 465T is updateable via the internet and this will allow Garmin to deliver improvements in a timely manner as it evolves.

- ALK CoPilot Truck. These guys have been doing the truck routing for the longest of the players by far. For the laptop the "CoPilot" series has long been the choice, but has definitely had it's ups and downs. Version 9 was clearly the most feature-rich and was a great program, but they did not just offer a sorely-needed map update to it. When Vista came out they had to redesign the entire program and the result removed many of the nice "bells and whistles" with version 11, but the maps and POI's were newer. The raw addressing of the ALK maps in CPT is definitely not a thorough as the NavTeq maps in the MS Streets, or the Garmin, or the Goodyear products. However the ability of this software to use proper trucking roads has out-weighed this. When set up with a proper profile (hugely important) the truck attribute data exceeds the other brands. At this point, the version 11 is nearing end-of-life as the next version for the laptops is being completed now for release late this year. We have sent a ton of feedback in terms of addresses, roads, and features and have confidence that the next release will be worthwhile and retain its position as the laptop GPS product of choice for the industry.

- ALK PC*Miler Navigator. Early units were plagued with several hardware issues that have since been resolved. They have a one-year warranty so users were covered as far as getting a replacement, but ALK's technical support lines got extremely bogged down during that launch period, making the process of getting warranty and technical help extremely painful, especially for those who got them in truck stops instead of a dealer who offers in-house expanded technical support. Starting last week, the are now shipping with new PC*Miler maps, POI's, addresses, and trucking road data. Only small "cosmetic" changes have taken place and several bugs have been fixed, but bulk of the update consists of mapping and trucking attribute data. I have played with this software and found a vast expansion and improvement in terms of address and routes in both the US and Canada. They have set up a web site at pcmnav.com for existing users to get the new software. I have also played with a 5-inch unit that will be released in a few weeks as well as a 7-inch unit. I have always felt that the 4.3 inch GPS's are somewhat too small and not loud enough (Garmin and Goodyear included) and soon there will be a solution for this as well. Finally, they have split the hardware and the software technical support divisions over there with 2 phone numbers and two teams now, greatly improving the painful support experience. I still think when the dust settles, this is the best of the handheld units (at least for 2009.)

- Goodyear GY500X. The newest entry into the battle, this unit is also 4.3" and contains NavTeq maps and Navevo truck routing data. I have already commented on my approval of the NavTeq data, but the truck-routing abilities of this unit are still unknown as they are just hitting the streets through T/A's, us, and several other outlets. As far as pricing, they are "in between" the PCM and Garmin pricing at around $449. They contain the bluetooth connectivity as does the Garmin, but my tests have concluded that the amount of noise in the rigs decreases the "hands-free" usefulness of this feature in both brands, except when stopped or in the absolute quietest of cabs.

- Rand McNally. Stand by for their entry later this year into the fray.

As the units evolve I will continue to update my comparison chart here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear

I hope you find this update on these current muddy waters helpful.

- Don from Dieselboss
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Board Member

i've said this once, and ill say it again, don't waste your money on a GPS just for trucks. Why? Lets take a look at the numbers. a Truck GPS will run you from $400-500 (maybe even closer to 600). Standard car GPSs will run you $150ish. Microsoft Streets and trips will run you $90 at Best Buy. Now for that $500 truck GPS.....even if you turn on all the truck features, it can (AND WILL) lead you down some low clearance bridges and over some weight sensitive bridges. Now obviously, a driver would be stooopid to totally trust a GPS 100%, but even if the GPS goofs just once on ya, now its no better than a TomTom or other car GPS. So why bother blowing $500? Save yourself the money, buy the cheapest GPS out there, and save yourself $400. Use that to buy chrome and lugnut caps for your company truck (i mean if you're really looking to waste money) =)
Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

thats what i did kevin, bought the cheapest one. the tom tom one, it has only let me down a couple times, and its pretty friggen accurate, u can avoid parts of routes and all, over all it was by far the best 100 bucks i ever spent
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
i've said this once, and ill say it again, don't waste your money on a GPS just for trucks. Why? Lets take a look at the numbers. a Truck GPS will run you from $400-500 (maybe even closer to 600). Standard car GPSs will run you $150ish. Microsoft Streets and trips will run you $90 at Best Buy. Now for that $500 truck GPS.....even if you turn on all the truck features, it can (AND WILL) lead you down some low clearance bridges and over some weight sensitive bridges. Now obviously, a driver would be stooopid to totally trust a GPS 100%, but even if the GPS goofs just once on ya, now its no better than a TomTom or other car GPS. So why bother blowing $500? Save yourself the money, buy the cheapest GPS out there, and save yourself $400. Use that to buy chrome and lugnut caps for your company truck (i mean if you're really looking to waste money) =)
I partially agree with some of this. As I stated above, the MS Streets program is a very good and cost effective laptop GPS product in terms of addressing, mapping, and features. Nothing wrong there. However when you say to "look at the numbers" you leave out the cost of a laptop and some way to properly mount it. So in terms of dollars you have to add that also to the "cheap car gps" and the Streets and Trips too. We have a lot of drivers that either do not want to put a laptop in the truck (many are company drivers who change rigs often) or do not want to spend the money to get a proper laptop and mount at this time. Many also want to use the GPS in their personal rigs at home when they are not on the road. For them, the logic is more compelling to spend $299 for a truck GPS (mount included.)

I also agree that it would be self-destructive on your CDL if you "totally trust" ANYTHING 100%. I don't agree however that if it "goofs just once on ya" that it is no better than a car GPS. As I said the competition to outpace each other in this market segment has stepped up dramatically this year, and as a result, the routing abilities have too. Some of them are routing you on proper trucking roads with great accuracy over a car GPS any day at this point.

Last edited by DieselBoss; 08-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:16 AM

I recently got a Garmin Novi and for the most part has worked well. I'm impressed. It took me to location on a dark, rainy day, in a strange town, in traffic {that would have been a nightmare}.
It won't do everything for you. Map reading skills, sense of direction, driver "know how" and phone skills are still needed.
It has a number of features {ETA, routing, average speed, ect} that help save time and fuel.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Board Regular

With respect to Streets & Trips, the first time you buy it you need to buy the version with the GPS receiver and for 2009 that package went down in price and sold for around $75. However, right now I see it on sale for only $46. Hell, it’s worth it just for the GPS receiver.

Once you already have the GPS receiver, in the following years you can buy just the software package alone, which last year sold for $39 at time of release. However, I always wait at least 3 months after it is released for sale first before I buy it in case there are some problems with it, and in addition by waiting I can then buy it on sale for around $29 dollars or less. Hell, one year I got it on sale right before Christmas for just $12. I also know some people that only buy it every other year.

For most drivers that already have laptops, which I believe are most drivers on the road today, I would recommend that they go with Streets & Trips simply because the screen is so much bigger which makes trip planning far easier and navigation so much better. Hell, I know a lot of drivers that use standalone GPS units that will also use Streets & Trips on their laptops to do all their trip planning because you can make the maps as big or as little as you need them to be and scroll so much faster.

With respect to a laptop mount, there isn’t anyway I would pay $299 for a laptop mount. I paid a little less than $40 for the one I got almost 5 years ago. I bought it at mobilelaptopmounts.com and it is still going strong and in perfect shape today, and since it is made out of steel and nothing on it can break it will easily last until I stop driving.

To set it up all you do is simply back out the front inside bolt of the passenger seat, lift up on the seat base, and slide a flange with predrilled holes under the base. Line up the holes, place the bolt through the holes, and tighten it back up. Also, because the laptop mount bolts to the floor, it is very solid and you will find that your laptop will hardly ever shake.

I also have a quick disconnect on my laptop mount near the base. Thus, I can easily remove the laptop mount via the quick disconnect anytime I need to without having to back out the seat bolt again anytime I put my truck in service and then quickly reattached it via the quick disconnect in a matter of seconds when I’m ready to get going.

This laptop mount couldn’t be better designed or easier to work with, and it’s not nearly as big and bulky as those high dollar ones, which is a blessing because in a truck space is at a premium.

I have it set on my right side and slightly to the front of me just out of the way of the shifter and not so high that it interferes with my vision out the passenger window or passenger mirrors. I see so many trucks on the road today with their computers set so high that it blocks their vision out of their passenger window and mirror. Indeed, I can’t figure out how those people don’t get tickets.

Finally, the last thing I recommend for you Streets & Trips users is the Truck Stops Plus 2009 template if you haven’t tried it yet. My wife found it on ebay and bought it for me this last Christmas as a gift but they also have a website where they sell it too.

Anyway, when she gave it to me I thought it wasn’t going to be worth a crap. Well man I was wrong! That thing adds all the truck stops, weigh stations, super wal-marts, rest areas, turnpike service plazas, blue beacons, parking areas, etc. to Streets & Trips and it is pin point accurate, and what I really like about it is you can see all the POIs miles ahead in advance as you approach them. Thus, if you need to take a leak or something, you can easily see how far the next rest area or truck stop is while you are driving.

If you are off the Interstates and in the boondocks, you can use the Find Nearby Places feature in Streets & Trips to find and route to a truck stop in less than 30 second. It tells you the parking size of the truck stops, whether or not it charges for parking, if it has a scale, if it does repairs, and exactly how far away from you they are. You can also check your routes for restricted routes and low clearances right from your laptop screen via clicking two buttons. Anyway it turned out to be much better than I first thought it would be, and in addition you don’t have to buy anymore truck stop guides or another MCRA.

Thus, if you have a laptop already don’t buy a standalone GPS unit, save your money by getting Streets & Trips, a $40 laptop mount, and the Truck Stops Plus 2009 template instead and use the money you save to buy external hard drives to store movies and TV shows, or a flat panel combo TV/DVD player, or a Satellite system, or a killer sound system, or a 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, or whatever.

Tags
gps, gps navigation, navigation, truck gps