User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking of "taking the plunge"

I have been lurking about this and other trucking forums for a few years now. From what I gather, it seems OTR trucking is well-suited for a single person. I am a single man, 38 with no kids or girlfriend or mortgage or...wow, now that I see this in writing, my life kinda SUCKS! ;-)
Anyway, I see OTR trucking as a means rather than an end. I would like to do it for 2-3 years, save some $ (I would put my belongings in storage and "live" at my brother's place) and then go onto another opportunity at that point. I am currently in the same-day courier business and after 12 years, I am still left with little to show for it. I like to drive and would wecome something different.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Your a perfect candidate for it but go for it man but the disclaimer is, its going to suck for the first couple of years if you go OTR!! Getting use to things, unusual sleep pattern, idle restrictions, stupid *****.. But if thats what your set on then go for it!!

Alot of guys is going to tell you to do "fast food at least your home every night" but man its all what you make of it... i say go for!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Instead of class 8 OTR, can you expand on the courier service? You know class 7 straight with sleeper. You might have connections and not even know it! Find a niche that's where the $$ is now, OTR driver's are a dime a dozen right now
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM

i say do it man, its prob the best idea i had in a while... even with all these people saying no to it.... sure i love being home but it never seemed so easy to save money and all, i started in feb and time is flyyyying by
Old 07-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber35 View Post
I have been lurking about this and other trucking forums for a few years now. From what I gather, it seems OTR trucking is well-suited for a single person. I am a single man, 38 with no kids or girlfriend or mortgage or...wow, now that I see this in writing, my life kinda SUCKS! ;-)
Anyway, I see OTR trucking as a means rather than an end. I would like to do it for 2-3 years, save some $ (I would put my belongings in storage and "live" at my brother's place) and then go onto another opportunity at that point. I am currently in the same-day courier business and after 12 years, I am still left with little to show for it. I like to drive and would wecome something different.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
When/if you put your "stuff" in storage make sure you keep up with the rent or your stuff will be sold.

And since you will be "gone" get your licence in a state where there is no state income tax, keep the $$$.

Have a good % of your check {30-50%} put in a CD or the like, before you get it.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats View Post
When/if you put your "stuff" in storage make sure you keep up with the rent or your stuff will be sold.

And since you will be "gone" get your licence in a state where there is no state income tax, keep the $$$.

Have a good % of your check {30-50%} put in a CD or the like, before you get it.
Yeah, I will not have to pay any rent where my storage stuff will be so that's no problem. I live in Washington State (no income tax) so I'm also golden there. I would like to keep total living expenses top 1000.00/month or less. I have a few bill that an be all payed-off within a year at most.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Rookie

repete,
Yes, I have definately not only thought of expanding my courier service but have infact done that several times. Unfortunately same-day stuff is fickle has hell and I either have lost accounts due to technology (email/scanning docs and check 21 law) or customers cutting service to "save money" or getting less business form other contract courier companies. I'm tired of the merry-go-round and I want off. I see OTR trucking as a way to see the country and put away some cash. My ultimate goal would be to save up and get a duelly and a goose-neck trailer and run hotshot loads on the west-coast.

Last edited by timber35; 07-26-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Here's a few videos to watch first to get a good idea.

YouTube - Trucking: Sleep When You Can, Drive When You Have To (part1)
YouTube - Trucking: Sleep When You Can, Drive When You Have To (part 2)
YouTube - Trucker Facts & Stats
YouTube - Trucking is not what is use to be -Trucker Steve
YouTube - NIGHTMARES OF TRUCKING