User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Military Transition

So, with a few months left to deployment and two months left to my EAS, I was just told this week that I won't be able to extend, and there are no jobs still open that I want to reenlist to. I did have plans on getting a CDL and going interstate when I got out, but the two companies I had planned on starting with changed their programs. I want to stay in NC where I'm at, but I have family around Pittsburgh and in-laws between Williamsport and Harrisburg, PA so could pack up and run from either location there. I would also have to either go to a independent school or a company school. Just looking for suggestions and trying to kick ideas around.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Between you and I and the fencepost..... If I were you, given the present state of the economy....I would find a "job" that I could live with and reenlist for it....like for about 6 years worth. Or, consider looking to lateral transfer to another of the services and stay there.

Seriously speaking....many companies are not hiring, many have stopped training, some have cut pay, and some have reduced fleet sizes due to lack of demand for transportation capacity....meaning: Not enough goods to keep drivers and trucks loaded and running.

While at one time....having a CDL-A and a pulse could get you a job....or so it would seem, those days are past. Experienced drivers who have been downsized or starved out of companies....are having a hard time finding a company to take them on....and those are ones with perfect performance and safety records.

Frankly.... I wish I had stayed and done the whole 30....I would have retired in 97'...12 years ago and wouldn't give a flip nowadays....but even still... If I was you.... I would stay right there....for a minimum of 3 years or more....cuz you are one of the few people running around right now with a "guaranteed" paycheck.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Rookie

Hey Marine, thank you for your service.

Skywalkers words of wisdom are pretty much on the money, drivers really are finding it slim picking
in this economy. I came off OTR into a local foodservice position, low and behold the company consolidated
and then up and closed its doors.

I've turned in several app's and been door knocking, but when one is competing against other
drivers with a heck of alot more experience these companies can afford to pick and choose.

The one plus I have is that I retired out of the Navy, so at least I have some pay coming in each
month to help out. I would re-up for a few years anyway, give the economy time to turn around.

Best of luck to ya and Semper Fi.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Semper Fi!

I agree with what Grandpa Skywalker says completely bro. Lat move to an MOS you can live with for the remainder of your time 'til retirement. Had I originally stayed in from my initial enlistment, I would've retired with a full "20" last month! If you need any questions answered about other stuff please p.m. me, can give you some possible heads up on some MOS's out there from my experience and other good friends that did some different stuff once we all transferred out of Combat Arms.

:thumbsup:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Staying in the military would be a good move, even if it weren't exactly what you want to do. You may be able to change to something else later. If you want to get out of the service then I would suggest finding a community college or state vocational school who offers driver training. It may take a little longer, but will cost much less than a private school. I would be prepared to take longer to find a good job. The market is soft but there are still some who are hiring. The problem is that they are mostly hiring experienced drivers. Before getting completely out of the service I would check with some carriers and see what may be available. There are several who train drivers. Some have slowed or eliminated their driver training programs all together. With the new Obama tax bills this recovery is likely to take some time.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Rookie

Well, I think that for the current time, my reup options are limited. I am trying to get a hold of the Transition recruiter to see what's open in the Reserves. Active boatspaces for this year are closed for lat move across the board, except for a few jobs that I'm not qualified for anyway. Figures that I ship to boot camp a couple weeks early a few years ago and it comes back later to bite me. If my EAS were in October, I'd by FY10 and be just fine.
With the new GI Bill, I could hide in school for a few years. I'm just still in a shocked mode right now and trying to play damage control. Not only has Plan A been pulled out from me, looks lke B and C have both been shot, too. Fate loves me playing mouse to her cat...
And as weird as it might be to put a different uniform on, how hard was it for you to switch services, Cyanide?

Last edited by USMCRebelGuardnU; 07-20-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRebelGuardnU View Post
Well, I think that for the current time, my reup options are limited. I am trying to get a hold of the Transition recruiter to see what's open in the Reserves. Active boatspaces for this year are closed for lat move across the board, except for a few jobs that I'm not qualified for anyway. Figures that I ship to boot camp a couple weeks early a few years ago and it comes back later to bite me. If my EAS were in October, I'd by FY10 and be just fine.
With the new GI Bill, I could hide in school for a few years. I'm just still in a shocked mode right now and trying to play damage control. Not only has Plan A been pulled out from me, looks lke B and C have both been shot, too. Fate loves me playing mouse to her cat...
And as weird as it might be to put a different uniform on, how hard was it for you to switch services, Cyanide?
Don't know about Cy......but I can tell you that my oldest brother switched from the Marines to the Army, and did just fine. He retired in 1990 a CSM and took home a very handsome retirement check each and every month. He passed in 2000 from cancer caused by wounds he received in Vietnam, but his wife still receives that check and medical care as though he were still alive.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do...and thank you for serving!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

It wasn't hard at all. It was simply just trying to get past the initial b.s. of young soldiers with absolutely 0 experience trying to either impress me, and/or out do me at certain things, and then idiots in the command who didn't like the way we former Marines accomplish the mission first and foremost or, worse yet, handle certain situations.....

Though for some strange reason the guys who, like myself, were former Combat Arms and/or "real-world operational" vets (read: Gulf War 1, Somalia, Bosnia) and I worked together seamlessly!

All in all it was easy. I had no problems changing from being a Marine to a soldier, except that we are more educated about our history and traditions. Case in point: I remember when the Army's birthday rolled around on post; it was treated merely like any other day. WTF!

As far as the job you'll do however, there is no difference except that your insignia reads U.S. Army. That's it! Sure, there will be adjustments to be made and at times different schedules to keep, but as long as the unit cohesion and discipline is there all will be fine. Trust me, I thought the world was coming to an end when I lat-moved to Aviation Ordnance years ago. I tell you this much though, that was a great move as for job satisfaction and personally for me was a great adrenaline rush! Being a grunt doesn't compare to working around a flight schedule, be it at an air base or aboard a carrier that's all geared to support my brothers and sisters in arms on the ground in forward operating areas!!!

Also, being in an aviation MOS opened up a ton of civilian job opportunities for me, even though I chose not to pursue any of them since many required an A&P License that I never obtained. However, right now I have a great job offer on the table that unfortunately I cannot accept due to family commitments and the inability to relocate at present time. And it doesn't involve going overseas! Long story short, doing Aviation Ordnance Support on F/A-18s and EA-6Bs at Pax River, MD, guaranteed 40 hours per week with a starting wage at a little over $33/hour along with full benefits :tears:

Sorry for the rant. It all comes down to the ability of you as an individual to accept that if you make the move things are undoubtedly going to be different. You simply will not be in the Marine Corps anymore and must make adaptations to succeed in your new branch of service. However, as the others and I have stated, the stability is there for you. I would seriously consider the move if I were in your boots, as I was once before. And I did make the move and would be retiring soon had I not gotten a medical.

Just remember, you can take the man out of the Marine Corps, but you can never take the Marine Corps out of the man!

:thumbsup:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Board Regular

Job security is something to look for today.Right now the whole economy sucks so i would suggest to you to stay in the military.I still serve the national guard here in Phoenix,Air Force though,and even right now my boss send me an email if i want to fill their stateside position for up to one year for the active duty guys that are deployed.Something very very nice,and that i can use if trucking doesn't work anymore.

But yeah,starting right now in trucking would be very very hard,especially for someone with no experience.Carriers have the upper hand now,where they can choose from a lot of people with a clean experience and driving record.Best of luck.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Rookie

So, I finally got a hold of the prior service recruiter concerning reserves, and should be getting set up with a Data position. Get to be retrained, then see about getting some certifications and either work on a degree and/or see about getting with the civilians managing the network on base. All in all, things are starting to look better. Thanks for the support.