User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I would call the companies for which you worked and ask that they give you the dates of employment. Some carriers won't hire a driver who has had more than 3-4 jobs in the last 2 years. Some may be more flexible. I suggest you keep on talking to carriers if that is what you want to do. Carriers look at work history, mvr, accidents, etc., Some may be somewhat more flexible if your former employers went out of business or laid off due to the depression. If you manage to find a carrier who will give you a chance, I suggest staying with them at least a year or two. Otherwise, it will show a pattern that most of us who hire drivers don't want. There is much more competition for driving jobs today than last year. Carriers can be more selective.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Frying pan to the fire Dep.

Colonel Sanders would not be proud..........

USA is a (tag) for something more........

Unless you are financed by the Commonwealth. Big 10-0.

Always double stuff the cuff.
could you please translate?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ulan View Post
Yep, Honorable discharge from the Corps.. Good Standing with Sheriffs Dept, And I live in Ky, They wont tell me why they turned me down, M I did ask in a polit manner )It may be because about 5 years ago I was in an accident,(not my fault)Feels like crap being turned down my swift from what i have read, maybe a blessing in disguise..Working on gettin on USA now..
why wont they tell you? maybe because they dont really have a reason, they just dont want to hire you? If I turned you down, I would at least tell you why
Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
why wont they tell you? maybe because they dont really have a reason, they just dont want to hire you? If I turned you down, I would at least tell you why
I agree, I called TMC directly and asked for a reaason, I told the gentlman that I wasnt disputing them, and that I would just like to know what I need to work on in the futere to make myself more hirable. He said"nothing really to work on"..that pretty much ended the conversation. i was at a los for words, thanked him for his time and said goodbye.It was obvious they didnt have a real answer.

Swift recruiter just told me that they wouldnt tell him..

At least super servce had the decency to e-mail me and tell me they werent currently hiring unexperienced driver..i can handle that..thats a good reason..

Oh well if its mean to be its meant to be..if not..then I gues it wont.

I guess im good enuff to work for crap pay in public service for 25 years but not good enuff ....never mind..not even gonna go there...sorry..
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It would be good if they would tell you why they would not hire you. It may have nothing to do with you. Then again, it could have something to do with all the jobs the last couple of years. There are many who have a maximum number of jobs they will accept for the last couple of years. A lot of companies are not hiring at this time. Many carriers are in trouble. They may not be able to afford to hire a lot of people. Your lack of driving experience would certainly put you at a disadvantage with many carriers, but there are those who generally welcome new drivers. You may consider changing your tact when applying to carriers. Explain to them that you have had a lot of jobs the last couple of years and the reason. I would also emphasize that you have previously had a very stable job history. From personal experience I can tell you that I am always suspicious of anyone who has had more than 3 jobs over a 2 year period. I rarely hire anyone who has had more than that many jobs. Those times that I have taken a chance are the ones who only stick around for a short time. I feel confident that others have experienced the same. There are drivers who simply cannot or won't address problems they have with a carrier. They would rather find someone else than try to work out any difficulties. Others are always looking to do better by changing jobs every few months. They rarely do any better. In fact, they usually lose money with all the changes. From the carrier's point of view, it takes a lot of money to bring in new recruits, put them in a motel, feed them and pay someone to put them through orientation. If someone has had many jobs the last couple of years then there is a high likelihood that they won't stay with that carrier any longer than any of the previous employers. They see that they will spend hundreds of dollars to bring in a new driver who will likely not stick around long enough for the company to even get their investment back. Some carriers have gone to using a point system to make hiring decisions. They will add or take away points based upon your information. I am sure that you will find a carrier who will give you a chance if you contact enough of them.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ulan View Post
I agree, I called TMC directly and asked for a reaason, I told the gentlman that I wasnt disputing them, and that I would just like to know what I need to work on in the futere to make myself more hirable. He said"nothing really to work on"..that pretty much ended the conversation. i was at a los for words, thanked him for his time and said goodbye.It was obvious they didnt have a real answer.

Swift recruiter just told me that they wouldnt tell him..

At least super servce had the decency to e-mail me and tell me they werent currently hiring unexperienced driver..i can handle that..thats a good reason..

Oh well if its mean to be its meant to be..if not..then I gues it wont.

I guess im good enuff to work for crap pay in public service for 25 years but not good enuff ....never mind..not even gonna go there...sorry..
My bet is the combination of no experience and a bunch of jobs over a short period.

HR is under no obligation to tell anyone why they weren't hired. Legal Dept would frown on divulging anything for fear of some HR glad-hander saying the wrong thing and uncorking a legal bottle of worms.

ROEHL is back advertising on satellite radio and offering training.

It is funny to get turned by a company and then see one of their 500-lb, half ******ed, waste cases "trying" to drive. I just laugh and say their loss, not mine.

Aski yourself, do you want work for a company who's hiring criteria is your willingness to stay on a job X-amount of time. Basically, they are pre-screening you to see how much crap you will take and for how long.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Rookie

. Explain to them that you have had a lot of jobs the last couple of years and the reason. I would also emphasize that you have previously had a very stable job history.

FWIW, THis is the letter I send along with all of my applications,
Hello, I am looking into getting into Trucking as a career.
I was a Deputy Sheriff (K9 Handler) in Hancock County for 11 years and in the Marines for 13 years before that. Please consider that before you consider the fact that I had about 6 jobs after I retired from the sheriff’s office in Dec of 2007 because shortly after I retired, my wife was laid off... The easiest way to explain that is that none of those jobs were what I would call, "careers" I had to pay the bills. I can deal with being away from home (USMC). And I know what hard work is all about. I believe in working for your pay. I also crave the professionalism, respect and teamwork, something I have missed since leaving the Marines. I have tremendous amount of pride and play very hard for the team I am on.
I also realize that businesses are there to make money, and that employees make money for the businesses, if you don’t make money, I don’t make money and vise versa. I am not looking for a free ride, I am a worker. I am 45 years old and in very good health, I have no health problems, and never have had.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
You should be able to track down previous employers from a related state agency(s). Such as, Workmans' Comp, Dept of Labor and so on.

Good Luck
If you need all the dates of employment, and who you worked for at the time, GO TO THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE. I could be wrong, but I believe you can get your history from the very first day you started to be "gainfully employed". When I got mine (a few years back) it showed everything I did from graduating high school back in '64... And, I think it was about '99 when I got it. I think it was free, but I don't remember now.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Another option could be on your other papers.I'm not sure at your country but here we can trace it from the records of payments .Papers of benefits someday which they include every company where you worked.