User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any way to get a copy of my employment history? PLEASE HELP!!

I want to start applying for companies but I lost all of my paperwork and resumes due to a tornado that destroyed a part of my home last year. I have tried contacting my previous employers but they won't discuss anything about my employment. I contacted the SSA and requested a copy of my employment history but that may take up to four months for them to respond back. I've been out of work since last November and I decided to try trucking due to the lack of jobs available here in Jacksonville. I NEED TO GET TO WORK ANYWAY POSSIBLE!! I know trucking companies need precise employment information so this situation is really slowing up the process. Any of you guys have any advice on what I can do about this? If I tell a company my problem, can I potentially have them send me a copy of my employment since they have access to it anyway? I know it sounds crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

The employment office may be able to help, at least back a few years.

If worse comes to worse get it as close as you can as far as dates go. Just list month and year and if you are off by a month one way or another most companies are not going to shoot you for it.

While they ask for a 10 year history, most companies only really bother with checking into the last 3, so that is where you need to be the most accurate with.

Last edited by Uturn2001; 07-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Board Regular

I was in a similiar situation as your and got what I was looking for through dotjobhistory.com. You have to pay for it, unfortunately, but it seemed to be worthwile for me anyway.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When you put down dates add "estimated." You can also put a letter or note and explain the situation. That should be sufficient as long as you have the former employer's name and contact information. Any former employer will send back the exact dates to any company to whom you are applying. Many people find it difficult to know exact dates. You may also send a written request to all of your former employers and ask for employment verification. I would think that any former employer, when asked and the situation explained, would not mind providing dates you worked.