Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford390pwr View Post
I know Swift is still accepting newbie drivers, they just aren't looking for any experienced drivers right now.
That should tell you all you need to know about that company.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Vallejo - I was on the Mare Island Naval Station (back when it WAS a naval station) back in the late 70's. My Tattoo Artist (being that I only have one) is in Vallejo also. I come out every 8-10 years to have my ink restored...

Rick
small world just delivered there Thursday
Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
That should tell you all you need to know about that company.
yeah, tells me that is the law of economics. Its called trying to save as much money as possible.

What gets me are drivers who whine, moan and groan about their miles week after week, complain how they get passed up for load after load, when in reality it is their own damn fault. Why? cause they turn down loads. Yeah, i dont want to get stuck with sub-100 mile runs all week. But you know what i've found out?? I take that 25 mi run to get out of the terminal, and waiting for me at the other end is usually a 500+ mile run somewhere.

I've turned down exactly 3 loads in my 8 months. one because it was (at the time) out of my comfort zone, and the other two were because of HOS. I run my tail off when i get the miles, and deliver early if i can. So you know what happens when that juicy 1000 mile run comes across my DMs desk?? guess whos gonna get it.

Now....you say swift is the only company looking for cheaper drivers, that is no different than a contract going to the lowest bidder REGARDLESS what the business is......building contractor, etc.

Swift, for most, is just a stepping stone. another 5 mo, and i'm gone.....
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post

Swift, for most, is just a stepping stone. another 5 mo, and i'm gone.....

So
What
It's
Freakin
Temporary
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yeah, tells me that is the law of economics. Its called trying to save as much money as possible.

Yeah and it's seems to be working out so well. They are obviously a financialy sound buisness model.....

Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Default Swift Training Academy Day 14

Today we focused on driving in the city. No long trips where we would be going 62mph and setting the cruise control! The morning went very well and we started out with Dave driving and me riding in the back seat. I must say, we have seen a lot of the Lewiston and Clarkston PD. It almost seems like they are following us around town.

Dave had a great morning where he felt much better about the way he was down shifting and making turns. He drove for the first 2.5 hours and logged 42 miles in the city. We switched and I started driving at 8am. I too was able to drive 45 miles and 2.5 hours before lunch. Again I drove strictly in the city making a left, then a right, then a left, then another left etc. etc. etc........ We both had a great morning and took lunch at 10:30.

During lunch Bob learned that Swift will be changing the way that they run the driving academy. Starting with the July 27th class in Lewiston, the students will not be reimbursed for the $3900 tuition cost. In addition the students will also be responsible for the costs of lodging. He did not have all the details, but this is the way they are told it will be for all of the schools. So needless to say the instructors believe that enrollment will drop drastically with this change. I will provide more information on this as I learn it!

Now for the afternoon. Again Dave started driving strictly in the city and he logged another 36 miles and 1.5 hours. There is a lot more traffic in the afternoon, and he had to make a few tight turns were he had to wait for cars to turn so he could use the lane they were in. Bob is taking us into a lot of situations just to show us that it's not a perfect world.

I started driving at 1:30 and logged another 35 miles and 2 hours on line 3. It started out pretty much like the morning with a bunch of turns and a lot of shifting in traffic. Again we took a lot of small residential streets where the turns are a lot tighter than we will see on the state test. So Bob directed me to turn right off of Snake River Avenue onto 11th Avenue, in Lewiston. He said, take a good look and notice that pole. I also saw a cement truck turning on the same road, and he was taking the turn very slow. So I got down to 3rd gear and saw a car coming off the hill on 11th. I waited for the car to turn and started up this VERY steep incline in 1st gear. By the way, the trailer is loaded with 15,000 pounds of concrete barriers. So I start up this hill which is about 600 feet long. As I approach the top of the hill I see an intersection with a 4 way stop. There are no other vehicles in the intersection. I also notice a long line of cars coming up the hill behind me, including a car that is about 4' from my trailer. I assessed the situation and I decided to proceed through the stop sign in first gear. I made sure the intersection was clear, and was prepared to stop, but I thought it would be safer to not stop on the incline and try to get going from a complete stop.
After I cleared the intersection Bob was laughing and said, that's one way to go about it! He said he had never considered rolling through the intersection and everyone else he has taken through there stalled the tractor when they tried to start out in 1st gear. I would have needed to start in LOW, which I did not consider. When I explained that I felt the car behind me was so close that if I rolled back any, I would hit that car. I felt that it was safer to do what i did. He said that he understands my thinking, but what I did was very risky.

So I learned by my mistake. I should have stopped completely for the stop sign and started out in LOW gear on the hill. I feel that I could have started out just fine without rolling, but I would have tried to do it in 1st gear, the truck would have stalled and I would have then started in LOW gear. I am sure that Bob will probably take me back to that hill again, and I will stop at the sign.

So this afternoon was pretty rough for me, but I will put it all behind me and start out fresh on Day 15, Wednesday. Day 15 will have us taking another Pre-trip test, skills test and road test for the school. This is all practice for the state test, and to pass through the schools test.

Here is a link to todays GPS Tracker.
14 | Author Ford390pwr | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service
Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

One of the first things Junior taught us was at the intersection of 16th ave and 21st st....the traffic light where you sit on a big incline just before you turn left to go down the hill by the car dealership. He said that you have the clutch pushed in, foot on the brakes, and you know you cant roll backwards at all because of a car on your tail. Release the clutch very slowly till you notice the truck start to 'torque' clockwise, then you can let of the brake and hit the throttle without worry about killing it. (same thing in reverse, except the truck will 'torque' counter-clockwise)
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
One of the first things Junior taught us was at the intersection of 16th ave and 21st st....the traffic light where you sit on a big incline just before you turn left to go down the hill by the car dealership. He said that you have the clutch pushed in, foot on the brakes, and you know you cant roll backwards at all because of a car on your tail. Release the clutch very slowly till you notice the truck start to 'torque' clockwise, then you can let of the brake and hit the throttle without worry about killing it. (same thing in reverse, except the truck will 'torque' counter-clockwise)
Yeah, I was just not so confident on the incline of this hill. I know the exact intersection you are talking about, we call it the Toyota turn. I have not killed it in that intersection, but the intersection I was on had a much steeper incline.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Default Swift Training Academy Day 15

Today was Academy test day!

Things went very well for Dave and I. The day started with me taking my Pre-trip test, where I missed only 7 points. That is a passing score, for WA we can miss up to 12 points. Almost all of my points came from simply missing a word or two in my script. I hit every area with the exception of the damn airbags! Best part is I won't forget thise when I go to Pasco on Friday.

After the Pre-trip, I took the WA State skills test, for the academy. This was the exact same test that I will take on Friday in Pasco. Did a 100' straight back where I needed to stop when the trailer was in the "box". The box is a 2' area marked out by 4 cones, which blend right in with the rest of the cones. Anyways, if you use GOAL, you fail the test. If you pull up, you miss one point. So, I did the straight back and placed the trailer where I thought it was in the box. I missed the box by about 4 inches, short. In the end I missed 1 point for being short of the dock, and 1 point for failing to beep when I backed up.

Moved on to the 45 degree dock. This is a 20' deep dock, with the same 2' box. On this dock I used one pull up, again did not honk the horn and I overshot the box by about 8". So I missed 1 point for the horn, 1 point for the pull up and 2 points for going beyond the box. In total you can miss 8 points for both of the docking manuevers. I missed a total of 6 points on both manuevers, so I passed!

The final test was a 1 hour road test. We can miss 24 points on the road test. I missed 9 points for not using my miriors enough, 2 points for canceling my turn signal too early on 2 seperate turns. Missed 1 point for taking a left turn too wide, and finally 2 points when I grinded the gears trying to go from 5th to 3rd on a when yielding. Stupid me I forgot the damn range selector! So in the end I missed 14 points total. I was really surprised because Bob warned that we would miss between 15 and 22 points on this test, with at least 14 points for miriors.

Dave did great also. I don't have all the details, but he got 4 points on the Pre-trip, 4 points on the backing manuevers, and 22 points on the road test.

We spent the rest of the day driving around town.

We did see another student fail his road test on turn #1 when he went WAY too wide and hit a curb with the front left tire. He will need to retest on Thursday. We did not talk to most of the other students, because they were already gone when we got back to the yard.

We did play around with a little bit of docking too. I was able to bump the dock at the Lewiston Shopko. Not too tricky, there was a Swift trailer in dock 1 and a cardboard dumpster in dock 3. I was able to bump the dock with just one pull up, and I was in position to line up with the bay doors.

Dave got to bump the dock at a Fedex transfer facility. His biggest mistake was to turn the truck around and try to blindside back. There was a 53' Swift trailer on the drivers side and a 20' Fedex trailer on the passengers side. No room in from to try a straight back, so he did a 45 degree blindside back. In the end he bumped the dock with a few pull ups, we lost count, about 5 GOALS, and about 15 minutes of manuevering. Again, his biggest mistake was trying to blindside back, he would have been much better off to try and back it around the 53' trailer.

We will hear more stories about the other students tests in the morning. Thursday, day 16 will be all city driving. We will also have another student on out truck because he will be going with us to Pasco on Friday.

I did not do a GPS tracker today because we basically drove the same roads as the last few day.