User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I'll second that, a real pucker factor when meeting another truck....

Is that in WI? That looks like a bridge by Lone Rock
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
When you have that much hose involved, you need to push as much air through the hose as you can. If I have to lay out that much...only have done it twice....I use strong bungee cords to hang the tank end of the discharge hose off the ladder, as high up as I can get it above the pump. I keep the pump at it's top speed the entire time.

Once I have the hose hung, I walk out the hose from the tank to the pump first, then the discharge hose, walking it from the pump, towards the customer connection.I lift the hose shoulder height. I let the pump push air, until I can feel that the discharge line is light enough. After walking the hose 2 or 3 times, I close the customer valve while the pump is still running, then turn the pump off to dismantle the hoses.

You never get all of the product out of the hose, but you get the majority out that way.

I cap what little is left in the hose, into the hose. Attempting to drain hoses into buckets can lead to a spill. That is why you should check your hoses to be sure there are good caps and plugs attached and that the gaskets are in good condition.

I'm surprised that they don't have a check valve in the system, with the tank being as high as it is! If the product line goes in at (It should go up to the top) the bottom of the tank, there should be a check valve, for safety.

On an air off delivery, I use the tank volume to clear the hoses. Once the product has drained from the transport tank, I close the internal and discharge valve, and build pressure back up, to at least 25 pounds. This allows time for the heel to drain into the sump. Once I have waited 15 or 20 minutes, I open back up, and allow the pressure blow off through the hose.
Thank again for the advice.

I had a pump off in St.Louis the other day and ran into a few problems. The customer connection was about at eye level. I put a bleed valve where the hose meets the customer and it did not really drain much product.

I had no problem with the 2 hoses going from the tank to the pump. The problem was the 20 ft hose going from the pump to the customer. The customer valve was high (about eye level). It had a lot of product in it afterwards.

When the customer connection is the high connection would it help to place a bleed out fitting on the low connection (where the hose connects to the out take valve)?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreddo View Post
Is that in WI? That looks like a bridge by Lone Rock
No it's the bridge crossing the Mississippi on US54 from IL to MO.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomohawk View Post
Thank again for the advice.

I had a pump off in St.Louis the other day and ran into a few problems. The customer connection was about at eye level. I put a bleed valve where the hose meets the customer and it did not really drain much product.

I had no problem with the 2 hoses going from the tank to the pump. The problem was the 20 ft hose going from the pump to the customer. The customer valve was high (about eye level). It had a lot of product in it afterwards.

When the customer connection is the high connection would it help to place a bleed out fitting on the low connection (where the hose connects to the out take valve)?
Yes...Placing the bleed off valve at the lower point is always best, but it still seems like your not pushing much air through those hoses. If you push enough air, there shouldn't be that much left in the discharge hose.
I guess I should ask...does LTC (Dana) use 2" or 3" hoses for discharge?? That may be the difference.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey!! Ohiomohawk...long time no post! What has happened to you??
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Board Regular
Location: NOT TELLING....but it is in the same state that the Ohio State Buckeyes play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hey!! Ohiomohawk...long time no post! What has happened to you??

Hello Orangetxguy. I am getting broke in the trade! I am back OTR pulling a tank. After my training ended I was cut loose and spend 5-8 days out. I don't get many pump off loads anymore . I run a lot out of Illinois but I just did a 10 day run down south covering 13 states in 10 days.

I can handle the surge a little better but that sun of bitch will still rock your world from time to time. I prefer to drive in the north where it is flat!! I took a load down to New Orleans a while back and got some experience pulling a tank through the hills. I pull quite a bit of Aluminum Chlorohydrate to water treatment plants and places that make deodorant. I have delivered to Gillet, Avon and Loreal!! They use a lot of soap by products. I have also delivered to a few pharmaceutical companies.

I will probably stick with tank yanking!!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hello Orangetxguy. I am getting broke in the trade! I am back OTR pulling a tank. After my training ended I was cut loose and spend 5-8 days out. I don't get many pump off loads anymore . I run a lot out of Illinois but I just did a 10 day run down south covering 13 states in 10 days.

I can handle the surge a little better but that sun of bitch will still rock your world from time to time. I prefer to drive in the north where it is flat!! I took a load down to New Orleans a while back and got some experience pulling a tank through the hills. I pull quite a bit of Aluminum Chlorohydrate to water treatment plants and places that make deodorant. I have delivered to Gillet, Avon and Loreal!! They use a lot of soap by products. I have also delivered to a few pharmaceutical companies.

I will probably stick with tank yanking!!

Nothing wrong with that idea young lad! I have been doing it......30 years.

Glad to see you made it past the rough spots! Let your bosses know that your ready to run west across the Rockies soon...so you get get that little bump out of the way!!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So I passed a road test with a small tanker company pulling an empty tank!! No problems except the tester told me I was taking my turns as if I was driving a 53 ft trailer. The tanks are 40 ft long. I have been pulling a 53 ft for 2 years.

I also found it awkward trying to back the tanker because I was use to looking straight down the wall of a trailer to line myself up. It will take some time getting use to looking at the rear tires to become lined up.

I also am not use to the landing gear handle being on the right (passenger) side of the trailer, I will probably walk to the left side of the tanker for a good 3 weeks before getting use to going to the opposite side.

I will be hauling HAZMAT.

Any advice would be appreciated.
You're going to love tank work, ( customers are actually happy to see you ) just take it slow and get use to your equipment.
Ounce you go tank you'll never want to do anything else, bol to you your going to happy in this line of work.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Rookie
Default miller

i have been pulling a tank for 3 years and love it. There are a few more rules and regs but the customers are the best in the treatment of the drivers. wonderman