User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Gman is right . . if you plan to go it alone. That is why I suggest a paid session with a trucking accountant to create some projections based on real life and not the pie in the sky numbers you will likely formulate in your grossly inept mind or be handed by the company.

In simple terms, your fixed expenses, those which you'll pay whether or not the truck moves, are expressed as a percentage of your income. When the truck doesn't move, you have no income and your fixed expenses are your loss. As the truck begins to move, expenses as a percentage of income falls until you reach the break even point . . when expenses equal income. If you find yourself at this point at the end of your month, I have bad news for you.

Make no mistake about it. There have been many business failures who have posted results here just like that.

If, on the other hand, you're successful at getting higher miles, your fixed expenses as a percentage of your income will continue to fall to a point where you begin to see a profit. The more miles you get, the more profitable you become. That's why I say the only way you can do it is to team or train. You have to be assured of higher than average miles . . WAY HIGHER . . in order to make this work.

As for rolling expenses, they should remain a relatively stable percentage of your income, average fuel cost, average maintenance . . so on and so forth. The wrench in this is REPAIRS. Non warranty mechanical repairs should be minimal and predictable given the warranties that come with the truck. You need to be aware of your liability if you make alterations to the truck (CHICKEN LIGHTS) or bounce off someone else's truck . . or a busload of nuns. Swift stipulates in it's lease that the truck be maintained in as new condition. No bubble gum or bailing wire. That's why I recommend the lawyer . . you need to be aware of the responsibilities/liabilities you assume the moment you sign that lease.

In any event, you won't be walking into a "living like Gman" world. You'll be starting over in a whole new environment and low man on the pole. That's why I say you need sufficient experience to perform an honest appraisal of yourself and your goals. Ownership, or the path thereto, is not easy for anyone but it's a lot easier for those with plenty of experience and a good head for business.

As far as the banker goes, let's say you defy all odds (and my advice) and finish your lease with $50 grand in your checking account. You walk into your bank and say "look Mr. Banker . . look at all this stuff I just did!" The bankers going to look at you and say "get your filthy boots off my carpet and is there anyway I can verify this pile of garbage that won't cost me or my shareholders any time or money?" Sitting down in the beginning and working with the bank throughout your travails will go along way toward building your credibility.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to play with a spreadsheet and the numbers OOIDA has two on their website. There are a couple of things that I would change about it but it offers a good way to play with the numbers to see if you can operate profitably. We have broken down the operational costs on this forum on several occasions. You should be able to do a search and find them. If not, then perhaps someone remembers the link. The best way to see whether you can afford to buy a truck is to put all the numbers down and then make your decision. One major variable right now are the freight rates and availability. When you do projections downplay your income and add to your expenses. If you do the best scenario then you are likely to be disappointed. You need to be honest when it comes to looking at the numbers.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Board Member

The swift 9 month plan is NOT a lease to own plan!!! It is a straight up 9 month lease, after the term you are offered a longer term lease, after which there is still a balloon payment. I read the contract on it not that long ago to see what they where up to.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
The swift 9 month plan is NOT a lease to own plan!!! It is a straight up 9 month lease, after the term you are offered a longer term lease, after which there is still a balloon payment. I read the contract on it not that long ago to see what they where up to.
its obvious you dont read any of my posts. OR you forget everything after its a week old, because i told my friends (the team) that it wasnt a lease to purchase.

If you actually read my OP instead of jumping at the first chance to bash me, you'd have seen i said was talking about AFTER i've got my 8 mo in.

get a clue....
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
its obvious you dont read any of my posts. OR you forget everything after its a week old, because i told my friends (the team) that it wasnt a lease to purchase.

If you actually read my OP instead of jumping at the first chance to bash me, you'd have seen i said was talking about AFTER i've got my 8 mo in.

get a clue....
Who said I was trying to bash you? I was illuminating the fact that the 9 mo lease plan is not a lease to purchase. You just TRY to find a fight even when there is none!

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Who said I was trying to bash you? I was illuminating the fact that the 9 mo lease plan is not a lease to purchase. You just TRY to find a fight even when there is none!
apparently it is "all about Kevin".... too bad too :hellno:

The lease does establish credit, but so does a home purchase and has a much better ROI
Old 06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Board Member

when someone tells me something i've already posted...pretty much calling me stupid. when i was asking about the 9 mo plan....i knew going in it wasnt a lease to purchase. too bad someone dont weeeed very well....even owners manuals.....HAHAHAHAHAH
Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Board Regular

kevin is like talking to a woman...no offense dobry and others. but he takes critiscm as a personal attack. he already made up his mind long before he posted that he is going to do this lease deal...he will get rich and be a big time owner operator. i think all we can say is good luck kev!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
Rev. that is what i was thinking. The way my friends had explained it, was that you cant drive a truck for 2 years. Thought that was a bit harsh. and wanted someone with some good experience to help clear it up. I would venture that would be a pretty smart idea for ANY company, to have their drivers sign that. As far as getting your own authority goes, ya know.
A "non-compete" clause.... is virtually impossible to enforce. You cannot deny a person a right to earn a living. If SWIFT actually put that in their contract....they have mistakenly hired a real "*********" ambulance chasing moron. I say that because there are states that do not uphold non-compete clauses at all....like CA, and NY isn't big on them either.
Non-Compete Contracts

Where they are most effective...is against the "gullible" and "uneducated" where the laws are concerned. SWIFT....by including that clause in a contract, if they in fact did, just carved another notch in the measuring stick that proves they are "bottom-feeding".

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
kevin is like talking to a woman...no offense dobry and others. but he takes critiscm as a personal attack. he already made up his mind long before he posted that he is going to do this lease deal...he will get rich and be a big time owner operator. i think all we can say is good luck kev!!!!
that would be in the running for the witless comment of the year :hellno: