User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Been out of the truck to long?

I've been out of the truck since Sept 2006. Alot of things happened that kept me from going back. I have less then 6 months, and I know the pickings are slim right now for anyone, but is there any hope of anyone hiring me? Or should I take a refresher course where I went to school at? Or should I just stick it out at this crappy job until the economy picks up? All opinions welcome. Please.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:59 AM

Why do you have to go OTR ?

If you have a CDL you can drive for FexEx ground or any other company out there looking for drivers.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

With only 6 months experience and 3 years since you have driven I would expect that you would need to take a refresher course before any of the major carriers would take you. You may find an independent with a few trucks who might give you an opportunity, but insurance and liability are the issue. You are basically starting from scratch. I can't see most people letting you loose with a truck by yourself. If you could find a carrier who would be willing to put you with an experience driver for a few weeks or months that might be a way to get back into the business. Most carriers will consider you not having any experience. Your best bet is to start contacting carriers. As long as your background and MVR are clear, you may find a carrier who will give you an opportunity. Again, it would probably be easier if you simply went back and took a refresher.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Hey! This is almost exactly like my situation! I'm going to start a new thread: "Unpaid Internships In Trucking?"
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Insurance companies check to see how long you have had your CDL. They don't necessarily check with each carrier for whom you have worked. It is up to the carrier to check previous work experience. I am curious why you would only work in the industry for 6 months, quit for 3 years then decide you want to do it again?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Board Regular

My other half stayed in the business. I've had several long illnesses and deaths in the family, and my mother just recently finished chemo, again. I've been needed at home. I'm am only child and there is very little family around anymore. I waited years to get my CDL, and finally after I do, everything hits the fan.

I know I'm going to have to go with a trainer again if I can get hired with anyone with or without the refresher course. I have no problem with that. Hopefully my other half can train me again, like he did before when I got my CDL. He's driving for a local company right now, but it is a very bad company and he is only doing it to keep up with having recent experience, as he has wanted to stay close to home with everything going on too.

I've looked into UPS, FEDEX, and even looking at Panther II to drive straight truck or cargo van for a fleet. There is nothing right now. At least in my area for UPS and FEDEX.

My next concern is should I do the refresher now or wait until the economy picks up.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Board Regular
Talking

I should mention to that we are planning to drive team, like we did before. And I want to go OTR because I love it. We both do. I guess we should both go get our heads checked.